Tanks with drop-in coils that work with TC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Here I go again, wandering off into the depths of verbosity. All you really need to know is in the third paragraph and the bulleted list. I wasn't sure if this would be the best forum to ask, or should it go to the tanks forum.

I seem to be going from the wading pool to the high diving board in one step. I've been happy tootle-puffing my way along for the last four years, using the same equipment most of that time - Innokin VV v3s with Anyvape Davides on top. The VV v3s were especially good for me to use with my very wonky hands* and I liked the airiness of the Davides. I did venture out as far as MVP 3s, one of the original ELeaf ISticks** and an Innokin Disrupter that I won in a contest, but ended up back with the VV v3s and Davides each time.

Well, it's getting to be really hard to find either any longer, so I started shopping again and got very good advice to try the Wismec Reuleaux rx75. The no button squeeze firing method and good hand fit more than made up for the weight.*** Then I realized that the RX75 was already being replaced by bigger, higher wattage, multiple battery, heavier devices, and I now have one with two more on the way. I'm a retired techy so I figured I'd be trying the temp control at some point just because it was there - a new technology to play with. :D

Getting (finally) to the point of this thread, I started reading up on temp control and decided it makes way too much sense to not use it. The problem is that the Davides (protank coils) also needed to be replaced. I can't make my own coils, so I was glad to see that there are choices out there that use manufactured coils made from TC appropriate wire, but I have no idea which tank to get. So, questions:

• Ohms - or the lack of them. A lot of these coils start at .5 ohms and go down from there. Is sub ohm a good choice with TC? I'm not chasing clouds,
  • I'm not going DTL, so I really want to stick with longer 510 drip tips. Any recommendations for that?
  • I was told that there were appropriate coils for a Nautilus out there, but haven't seen those yet - where might I find them? I have an original model, not one of the newer ones - is that a problem?
  • Cheap would be nice, but not to the exclusion of good. I was looking at subtank minis at Fasttech and the lowest priced original didn't have a removable drip tip.
  • There seem to be quite a few top fill tanks, but how fussy are they to open and shut? I love the idea, but I can't even button shirts or open child-resistant caps.
  • I'm a high PG vaper, so which are the most/least leaky?
  • It looks like the drop-in coils may still need to be wicked by the vaper - is that true?
* Wonky hands as in I can't feel much with them and have very limited control. I found vaping when I got so I couldn't hold on to cigarettes, causing a really immediate health threat.
** I was one of the tootle puffers who couldn't get the wattage low enough on the original. I might have been willing to give them a try again, but they were so adamant that there was nothing wrong that it left me really sour on the company.
*** One advantage of not being active is that I have grown a very fine belly shelf to set things down on, so weight (of the device, not me) isn't as much of a problem.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
TC works better below 1 ohm so yes subohm is better for TC.

There are some drop in coils for TC. made of Titanium, nickel or SS. All more or less subohm coils. Nickel really low ohm but there are titanium and SS in the .5 or .6 ohm range. SS can be used in TC or power but the other two metals can not be used in power mode.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Top fill is the way to go especially if you want TC as bottom fill removing the tank to fill can cause rereading of the ohm on coil and cause problems. Lots of good top fill tanks that don't really leak. But top fill is more subject to leak than most bottom fill.

All of the Subtank minis Kanger have removable drip tips. Getting a 510 drip tip that fits them can be tricky though. They use tips with one oring not two and many are wobbly

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Have you consider an eGo Mega tank?. Super easy to use and if you like to rewick and recoil you can get the CLR coils(which I suggest getting these anyway---better flavor than the stock coils and same price) Even you you don't want to rebuild, just use as you would a reg stock coil. They have the Titanium coils for these and the vape is fantastic. I use these on Eleaf pico and the setup for it is a breeze.

Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Have you consider an eGo Mega tank?. Super easy to use and if you like to rewick and recoil you can get the CLR coils(which I suggest getting these anyway---better flavor than the stock coils and same price) Even you you don't want to rebuild, just use as you would a reg stock coil. They have the Titanium coils for these and the vape is fantastic. I use these on Eleaf pico and the setup for it is a breeze.

Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank

They also have the reg power coils and the Ni coils. They come in 0.5ohm and 1.0ohm. The 1.0 ohm has a smaller air hole at the bottom(where connection is made with the base) for a more restricted type of vape. The MTL vapers love these.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thanks for replying, and good information. I'm also figuring that I can get 2 (3) different tanks though it looks like that gets tricky with the coils. (I kinda miss the BCC days when most bottom coils clearos used the Kanger.) A New Adventure! :D
Can you explain a little more of what you mean than tricky? If you are looking at the eGo one mega tanks and the coils, they are a great vape. And the 1.0 ohm coils sound like what you are looking for.

Reactions: stols001

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Can you explain a little more of what you mean than tricky? If you are looking at the eGo one mega tanks and the coils, they are a great vape. And the 1.0 ohm coils sound like what you are looking for.

I was saying that since I need more than one, I'd like to branch out and order more than one brand/style of TC drop in coil, available tank, and there doesn't look like there's a type of coil that would work in different tanks. That's all.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I was saying that since I need more than one, I'd like to branch out and order more than one brand/style of TC drop in coil, available tank, and there doesn't look like there's a type of coil that would work in different tanks. That's all.
Well, no there are not many tc drop in coils available. With that said, there is a forum here at ecf
Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)
that has put together a listing of tanks that will take the eGo one coils.

Just go there and ask or I can try and find it for you. Let me know.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Here I go again, wandering off into the depths of verbosity. All you really need to know is in the third paragraph and the bulleted list. I wasn't sure if this would be the best forum to ask, or should it go to the tanks forum.

I seem to be going from the wading pool to the high diving board in one step. I've been happy tootle-puffing my way along for the last four years, using the same equipment most of that time - Innokin VV v3s with Anyvape Davides on top. The VV v3s were especially good for me to use with my very wonky hands* and I liked the airiness of the Davides. I did venture out as far as MVP 3s, one of the original ELeaf ISticks** and an Innokin Disrupter that I won in a contest, but ended up back with the VV v3s and Davides each time.

Well, it's getting to be really hard to find either any longer, so I started shopping again and got very good advice to try the Wismec Reuleaux rx75. The no button squeeze firing method and good hand fit more than made up for the weight.*** Then I realized that the RX75 was already being replaced by bigger, higher wattage, multiple battery, heavier devices, and I now have one with two more on the way. I'm a retired techy so I figured I'd be trying the temp control at some point just because it was there - a new technology to play with. :D

Getting (finally) to the point of this thread, I started reading up on temp control and decided it makes way too much sense to not use it. The problem is that the Davides (protank coils) also needed to be replaced. I can't make my own coils, so I was glad to see that there are choices out there that use manufactured coils made from TC appropriate wire, but I have no idea which tank to get. So, questions:

• Ohms - or the lack of them. A lot of these coils start at .5 ohms and go down from there. Is sub ohm a good choice with TC? I'm not chasing clouds,
  • I'm not going DTL, so I really want to stick with longer 510 drip tips. Any recommendations for that?
  • I was told that there were appropriate coils for a Nautilus out there, but haven't seen those yet - where might I find them? I have an original model, not one of the newer ones - is that a problem?
  • Cheap would be nice, but not to the exclusion of good. I was looking at subtank minis at Fasttech and the lowest priced original didn't have a removable drip tip.
  • There seem to be quite a few top fill tanks, but how fussy are they to open and shut? I love the idea, but I can't even button shirts or open child-resistant caps.
  • I'm a high PG vaper, so which are the most/least leaky?
  • It looks like the drop-in coils may still need to be wicked by the vaper - is that true?
* Wonky hands as in I can't feel much with them and have very limited control. I found vaping when I got so I couldn't hold on to cigarettes, causing a really immediate health threat.
** I was one of the tootle puffers who couldn't get the wattage low enough on the original. I might have been willing to give them a try again, but they were so adamant that there was nothing wrong that it left me really sour on the company.
*** One advantage of not being active is that I have grown a very fine belly shelf to set things down on, so weight (of the device, not me) isn't as much of a problem.
I use TC exclusively on an rda at reletively high ohms and low power compared to what is currently fashionable. TC needs a consistant measure of resistance to work . That means it's best if the coil leads are attached very solidly to the atomizer. The drop in coil heads I'm familiar don't use the most solid connection methods so sometimes there might be problems related to that.

When I started vaping I was certain I'd never mix or rebuild. After my first build I lost interest in drop in coil heads. After my first batch of DIY liquid I was done with pre mix.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Well, no there are not many tc drop in coils available. With that said, there is a forum here at ecf
Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)
that has put together a listing of tanks that will take the eGo one coils.

Just go there and ask or I can try and find it for you. Let me know.

Thanks, @Katdarling had already posted the list in eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil and it is a joy to behold. I found it last night
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/

I use TC exclusively on an rda at reletively high ohms and low power compared to what is currently fashionable. TC needs a consistant measure of resistance to work . That means it's best if the coil leads are attached very solidly to the atomizer. The drop in coil heads I'm familiar don't use the most solid connection methods so sometimes there might be problems related to that.

When I started vaping I was certain I'd never mix or rebuild. After my first build I lost interest in drop in coil heads. After my first batch of DIY liquid I was done with pre mix.

I've been making my own liquids for a couple of years. I can literally handle that, since even the smaller flavorings bottles can be used with weight based mixing. Though I have had to adjust again when I lose control. But I have nerve damage that makes coils impossible for me to make. I have no fine control of anything with my left hand (though I have started crocheting again - after I figured out a ring that can be used to control the yarn tension.) and limited use of my right hand. I've become a fairly good 1 fingered typist and I have tried building coils, including using one of the Kuros jigs, but I can't feel the wire at all.

Sorry to go on long on that topic, but yes, some of us really can't build coils. If I could, I would, since I've spent a lifetime learning new skills - mostly plumbing and wiring,some construction, etc. I don't count gardening or quilt making or embroidery. I did those for the pleasure of the doing, not for he utility of the end result

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I just wanted to tell you why I suggested the CLR coils for the eGo mega tanks. You will get much more flavor from them than with the reg stock coils. You don't have to rebuild them, just use them like reg stock coils and throw away when they are old and don't taste good anymore. They are exactly the same price as the reg stock coils so I am just suggestion the best of the two. The CLR coils last a lot longer between changes than the stock coils.

Let us know how we can help.

Happy Holidays.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The only nautilus coil that I know of that can do TC would be the Triton MINI ceramic coils. They have to be the mini to fit. I have a box but haven't tried them and I really should. I think the idea in TC is that the resistance doesn't matter as much since you are controlling your vape using ramp up wattage and then temp. I did not know that it's harder to do TC at higher resistances but that does explain the fact that many MTL drop in tanks don't use TC in most of their coils.

I have some Joytech CLR coils and I love them. I've only vaped the 1.0 but I did get the 0.5 TC coils and I do plan on trying them. They last a long time and from what I've seen on youtube about rebuilding them, they are super easy to rewick. Mainly, they offer great flavor and do have a long lasting coil life.... I've kept my spent coils and will plan on rewicking some soon. But even if you are unable to do that given physical limitations they do give excellent coil life and flavor and I've been really happy with them. IMO they rival flavor in the right tank with my Kabuki and very easygoing, I haven't ever had a leak.

Good luck!

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread