Tanning beds and cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgupta

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
LOL. I have mixed feelings regarding this.

I tanned for about a year and really loved it - it feels nice with the warmth and lotion and I really did like what it did to my appearance.

I suddenly started getting some pretty bad burns on one of my wrists (only my wrist, and I still can't explain it to this day nor can anyone else - seems to be no rhyme or reason and that part of my wrist is now quite white all the time). After talking to a doctor about that, as well as some moles on my back which he pointed out, he told me that if I kept exposing myself to UV, it gave me a much higher chance of skin cancer later on (especially because of the moles), so I decided to stop.

I do miss it sometimes, but in all honesty, despite some believing if you do it right, you're fairly safe (which I think is well-intentioned but based on them wanting to believe that), I do think tanning beds are objectively bad for you no question from the evidence I've seen. And there are some alternatives to tanning in beds now - the sunless tanning moisturizers actually aren't too bad (I use a tanning "mitt" from Solerra a few times a week), though they still don't give the results of a bed.

In summary, I'm always reluctant to ban anything. I'm much more in favor of people educating themselves and making informed decisions regarding things than outright bans.

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
Well,,one things for sure, we all make choices in our lives as to how we want to live them. And sometimes there are consequences for our choices. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone else should be in control as to what choices/consequences I choose for myself. Yes, I do know there are those who cannot make a choice for themselves (mentally). But should that not fall back on the family to make the choice for them. I for one, have made my choices and can live with them. Some, like smoking analoges I figure in the long run might save me from living in the rest home with someone else in controll of me. I'm personally ok with my informed choices, and had a damn good time making/living them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread