The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Taps and Dies For 901-801-510-4xx

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by Cisco, Aug 4, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cisco

Cisco Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 13, 2009
    NY, State of denial
    Hey Guys,

I put this list together with the links to purchase taps and dies. For those who aren't familiar with taps and dies these are used to cut threads onto round tubes or bars. I can guarantee that all the listed thread sizes are a perfect match, I have personally used them all. Please check the links match your desired tap or die size before purchase.

901 Tap and Die 8mm x .75

901 Die: Used for making your own battery threads for connecting an atomizer.

Amazon.com: 8mm X .75 High Speed Steel Round Die 1" OD: Victor Machinery Exchange

901 Tap: Used for threading a round bar to use in pulling battery connectors or making atomizer threads

Amazon.com: 8mm X .75 High Speed Steel Round Die 1" OD: Victor Machinery Exchange

901 Bottoming Tap: used for thread finishing to the bottom of a blind hole like on the atomizer threads

Amazon.com: 8 MM x .75 High Speed Steel Bottoming Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

801 Tap & Die 9mm x .75

801 Die: Used for making your own battery threads for connecting an atomizer.

Amazon.com: 9mm X .75 High Speed Steel Round Die 1" OD: Victor Machinery Exchange

801 Tap: Used for threading a round bar to use in pulling battery connectors or making atomizer threads

Amazon.com: 9mm x .75 High Speed Steel Plug Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

801 Bottoming Tap: used for thread finishing to the bottom of a blind hole like on the atomizer threads

Amazon.com: 9 MM x .75 High Speed Steel Bottoming Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

510 Tap & Die 7mm x .5

510 Tap: Used for making your own battery threads for connecting an atomizer.

Amazon.com: 7mm x .5 High Speed Steel Plug Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

510 Bottoming Tap: used for thread finishing to the bottom of a blind hole like on the510 battery threads.

Amazon.com: 7 MM x .5 High Speed Steel Bottoming Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

510 Die: Used for threading a round bar to use in pulling battery connectors or making atomizer threads.

Amazon.com: 7mm X .5 High Speed Steel Round Die 1" OD: Victor Machinery Exchange

4xx Series Tap and Die 7mm x .5

Same as for the 510 just reversed usage for the tap and die

1xx Series Tap & Die 8mm x .75

Same as for the 901 just reversed usage for the tap and die

I made reference to a bar for pulling battery connectors, The pics are below

Cheers

Cisco...

• Like Like x 1
  2. muldrick

muldrick Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Awesome, just bought them all.
    The RN4081 (Njoy) should also be a 8mm x .75

3. Rogue X2 v2

Rogue X2 v2 Moved On

Apr 27, 2009
  4. Zofryer

Zofryer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2009
    Near DC
    Thanks you so much for this!

5. ratthevol

ratthevol Full Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
    So. Cal
    For the rest of you modders, I bet you could find loads of useful stuff at the link below. Taps, Dies, all kinds of other stuff. McGuyver could build a time machine from the stuff on there.

mcmaster.com

6. Lucacri

Lucacri Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2009
    Manhattan, New York
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use them?

7. Rogue X2 v2

Rogue X2 v2 Moved On

Apr 27, 2009
    ^ bend over 8-o, cough :D and screw :sneaky:!

8. NekoGurrl

NekoGurrl Super Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2009
    Muskego, WI
    I've been planing to order these from Victor Machinery Exchange, they are the ones advertising on Amazon. This page has lot's of information on taps/dies, as well as every type size you could ever want. They do have a $25 min order policy though.

Taps and Dies for threading metal from Victor Machinery

Since I don't have a lathe to make my own stock, trying to find a good source for brass tube to make the actual connectors.

9. Carlos49

Carlos49 Moved On

nice find Cisco... got my order in...

10. SueandCootie

SueandCootie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2009
    south central Mass
    You might want to check hobby/model building/model railroad suppliers for rods and tubes...

11. Basil

Basil Full Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Bahrain + Abu Dhabi
    Many thanks - was going to sacrifice a battery for the connector - will see if I have the right tap in my tap box.

Baz

12. mnealtx

mnealtx Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 16, 2009
    Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
    This DEFINITELY needs to be stickyfied!!!

13. bzlytbeer

bzlytbeer Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Agreed, please sticky this!

14. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    This question has been out there for a long time with only a few answers---I think Cisco has done a great job here to say the least. Thread stuck and thanks Cisco for sharing.

Sun

15. sio2

sio2 Full Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Thanks! I'd add that to determine the correct metric drill bit to go with these taps, subtract the pitch from the diameter of the tap.

For example: For a 901 Connector, the tap size is 8mm in diameter by .75 pitch. 8 - .75 = 7.25. So you will need to drill a 7.25mm diameter hole before running your tap through.

Victor Machinery is great, very knowledgeable and helpful folks. Those local to Brooklyn can just stop by.

16. muldrick

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Awesome, good info.
    Let me ask this, that 901 needs to be male threads for the atti to screw on to, how do I determine the OD of that pipe? 8 + .75???? (8.75mm OD tube) or 11/32".
    I just tried a 1/4L plumbing tube (standard 1/4" pipe), don't bother.
    Guess I'll try my hobby shop tomorrow.

If anyone has leads and locations on where to get tubing, please post it.
    I'm looking now.

Here? http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u690370

17. muldrick

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Hmmm, not getting any input here....
    Anywho, I found a brass tube at a hobby shop that'll work for the 901 atty. Ask for K&S 5/16 Round Brass No. 133 or get it here.
    It is quite tough to get the die on, I messed up one end. But once you get it strated it cuts threads ok.

Now, gotta find a tube that will accept the 8 X .75 tap.

18. Vaporer

Vaporer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2009
    Away..
    Excellent finds and info to all !

Thanks for sticking it Sun.
    I keep a folder and copy and paste this gold type info into files for reference.

Vaporer

19. sio2

sio2 Full Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Muldrick, the diameter of the 901 rod will be 8mm. 5/16ths is very, very close, and should work fine (about .002 off).

Grind a shallow taper on the end, and it will make it far easier to get your die started, nothing huge about 1/16" at around 45 deg. Also make sure you are using the correct side of the die. Most dies are cut so that they have a taper, start with the wider side. Every 1/2 turn of the cut, break the thread by turning it back about a 1/4 turn, then proceed to cut again. This will ensure that the die doesn't get bogged down with shavings. Once you have cut the full thread, back it off and turn the die around and run it back down the thread.

hope this helps.

20. muldrick

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Yep, I found that Sio, (thanks)
    Now, gotta find a tube that will accept the 8 X .75 tap for the RN4081 atty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.