Taste of slotting opposed to punching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenho21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
The Mitten
So I've tried slotting and punching my Boge cartos and have settled on punching just because when I try slotting I get a slightly burnt kind of flavor. It seems the filler is getting slightly toasted from the cutting disc when I slot them. What can avoid this taste? Better quality cutting wheel? Different technique? How do you slot yours?

Beaverkt

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
NC USA
So I've tried slotting and punching my Boge cartos and have settled on punching just because when I try slotting I get a slightly burnt kind of flavor. It seems the filler is getting slightly toasted from the cutting disc when I slot them. What can avoid this taste? Better quality cutting wheel? Different technique? How do you slot yours?

I slot mine with a cut off wheel and may have a couple tips. first be sure not to slot too deep. My experience is that a very thin piece of metal is usually left behind. This thin piece makes it appear that you haven't gotten all the way through the metal but you have. Just take something like a toothpick, knife blade etc. and remove that last little film it should come right off with next to no effort. I'm sorry I know that can be a bit hard to understand without pics. Also I always fill my carto completely before filling. The grinding off a cut-off wheel can produce a good bit of heat. If the filler is dry this can burn or scorch the filler. For me if I fill the carto before slotting I don't get any burnt taste. Also I can't say if the quality of the cut-off wheel causes problems or not ,but I use a dremel ez-lock mandrel and wheel. It seems to be of much better quality than the standard cut-off wheels for rotary tools. It can also be used in any rotary tool not just a dremel. I'll provide a link for refernce. Note the link is from wal-mart but they are easily found at lowes or home depot in addition to walmart.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-EZ-Lock-Mandrel-and-Metal-Wheel-Set/16504569

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread