Tastebud insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Right now I have reached the point of tastebud insanity. I can not taste anything vape wise other than a stale chocolate flavor and its driving me nuts. I have barely vaped today, but still, ugg, it will not go away.

I can taste normal things just fine - food, drinks, etc. But when it comes to vaping I can not get this nasty taste out of my mouth and I can not even count the times I have brushed my teeth today and used a crazy tongue brush to make the taste leave. :(

How long does this phase last? My sig is a little wrong, my last analog was about 4PM EST on Friday. :(

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
It's different for everyone, but one thing to keep in mind is that what you eat and drink has a big effect on how your vape tastes. Oily, greasy, spicey foods will make it taste harsh and bitter (even some things you wouldn't think of, like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups), and fruit and real fruit juices will make it taste sweet and awesome! You need to eat more fruit anyway, right?

chief307

Feb 10, 2010
Kansas City, KS
Strange, did you clean out your atty's before you used them? Some have a mystery fluid on them from the factory that has a really foul taste. Also what juice are you using some of the prefilled carridges that come in kits have an really foul chemical after taste. I suggest cleaning your atty and a cartridge and fill it with a quality juice with a lower nic content to get the most taste.

tarheeldan

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Dover, NH
Sorry you're going through this ilk. Stephaniems and everyone else made some good suggestions. One other idea might be to pick up some flavorings to boost the flavor a little. I had this experience with my RY4 and banana flavors a couple days ago so I picked up some food flavoring - banana (to up the banana of course) and french vanilla for the RY4...worked out pretty well. Just be careful not to add too much at once and just in case I'd add to your cart on not the bottle at first in case the combo is awful. Look out for anything with oil (bad) and check the ingredients to make sure they're cool. Sorry if you were aware of all this, just tryin' to help.

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
quasimod - no Oily, greasy, spicey foods that I can think of, but I would not wish this taste on my worse enemy, its that nasty. :D

chief307 -"did you clean out your atty's before you used them" - no, I am still new and have no idea what I am doing. :) @ the comp I just use my PT, batt wise I have the normal small blue one that comes with V4L starter pack and the longer green one. atty wise - I have no clue? :( I have used only V4L or LiteCig (that I am aware of, got afew little tester bottles but I do not remember where they came from).

tarheeldan - I might need to make a run to the store tmr then (pending we do not get snow). Everything taste like stale chocolate (eww in itself, but when I say stale I am thinking like eons old, not like a few weeks, lol).

From what my hubby is saying, it should only last a few days, but blah its evil. I hope it goes quicker than he is estimating. :D

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
ilk this is really common and it will pass after a few days if you can vape with something strong that helps too ( havent tried mint or menthol but people say it works too). The bad news is this is a recurring issue for alot of us; I think perhaps if you vape a lot. I tend to chain vape on my PT. I get it happening at least once a week and its a pain. Switching to a stronger flavor has helped me but the more subtle flavors are un-tasteable (is that a real word?or one i made up?) for a couple days.
I've heard it happening less with those who smoke mostly tobacco flavors so I don't know if we are tiring out our tastebuds or what it is. Its not food though or drink, because Ive had this happen without strong or greasy/oily food and I mostly drink ginger ale coffee (instant not brewed) and water.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Sorry, I may have misunderstood... is this the FIRST time you've used those atty's? If that's the case, it sounds like you didn't blow the "shipping fluid" out of them before you started using them. That stuff is awful tasting, but harmless (from what I've read). When you get new atty's, make sure to blow through them into a paper towel until no more of the clear liquid comes out (it will stop making a wet spot). You can also run hot water from the tap through them, and blow that through a couple of times, until they seem dry. They aren't completely dry yet, so let them sit overnight or put them in a 150° F oven for about 40 mins. then let cool.

Also, what Wireguy said: mixing flavors in the same atty can have some unpredictable results.

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Wireguy - How do I clean them?

chief307 - I have never direct drip'd but I might after this experience. My god, what a horrid way to regain tastebuds. :D

CaptJay- Right now the only thing I can slightly taste is about maybe 10% (of normal taste) of the V4L Blueberry (which is sadly, my only one). I have been chaining also on the PT, but I work from home, on a computer too (easy access). Today I have been really light on and off the PT, my last analog was on Friday so I am still quite new, but about 2wks before that (Friday) I was down to 1 analog a day. I really think the tastebuds are like AHHHHHH :D

Made up words are okay too. And if anything, maybe everyones tastebuds are going into overdrive? I think I am going to poke through the hubbys box of flavors and see if I can find something tolerable to get me through this, blehs, I can not believe this is happening but I do hope it clears up before Tuesday. I do not want to spend my bday tasting crudey yuck. :D

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Sorry, I may have misunderstood... is this the FIRST time you've used those atty's? If that's the case, it sounds like you didn't blow the "shipping fluid" out of them before you started using them. That stuff is awful tasting, but harmless (from what I've read). When you get new atty's, make sure to blow through them into a paper towel until no more of the clear liquid comes out (it will stop making a wet spot). You can also run hot water from the tap through them, and blow that through a couple of times, until they seem dry. They aren't completely dry yet, so let them sit overnight or put them in a 150° F oven for about 40 mins. then let cool.

Also, what Wireguy said: mixing flavors in the same atty can have some unpredictable results.

Lame :(

I did not know that before I filled up my 5 new emptys, that could very well be the case, but at the same time, with every flavor (even the prefilled that I got, that afew days ago did taste normal). :(

And "unpredictable results" is a good way to explain what I would rather say, which would come out like @%^!@$!&!Q AHHHHH

Thanks for the help folks, the newbie does appreciate it. :)

tarheeldan

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Dover, NH
Agree with quasimod and Wireguy, I was a bit confused about your situation. Adding flavor might not do you well since there's still gonna be that nasty flavor too....no matter how much cologne ya put on after a workout....much better to take a shower. So i'd give the atty's a shower and if the taste is still subdued...then I'd add some flavor to kick it up a notch. My trouble was they all tasted like...nothing.

Last edited:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
CaptJay is correct that many of us have this problem and it may be one of the downsides to vaping. Drink lots of water and fruit juice, as was mentioned, and don't chain vape for hours at a time. Just think how your mouth would feel if you smoked non-stop. We tend to vape more when we're sitting at the computer or in front of the TV and it's just too much on the delicate taste buds for many of us.

During this time use a more gentle toothpaste and non-alcohol mouthwash. Stay away from spicy foods and eat yogurt to help balance the pH in your mouth. Within a day or two it will be back to normal if you don't chain-vape. If you're like me and forget to put it down you'll have continuing taste problems. :p

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Ilk I definitely know what youre talking about if you KNOW the atty is a good one.
Mine are all fine, I direct drip btw - once htis passes Im back to vaping heaven, but I hoensly think its a too much of a good thing thing than a hardware issue.
Its not the burnt taste that some get with messed up wicks or attys, its a no-taste taste. The smell is still strong though.
Its worse if I sit here and vape on every flavor in my little box of tricks (which ihave done cos they are all yummy) I jsut think its exhaustion of tastebuds pure n simple. I never remember eating that many foods with different flavors in such a short time and with eating most of the food isn't sitting on your tongue as long as the vapor is.
I have had this with smell if Ive been in a perfume shop trying on perfume. After a while they all smell the same. To me it jsut stands to reason this might also happen with tastebuds.
FYI I have had this happen on a brand new atty as well as the ones I thrash half to death with different drips of flavor :lol:

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Well its good to know I am not completely losing my mind. I have already accomplished one goal to be off analogs before my birthday so I am content with that. If I can not taste cake come the day, of course that would suck a little but one goal down is still a good thing.

I finally (after 15+ pages of threads) found one about cleaning cart's out so I might end up giving that a trick too. It just blows since its taken this long to learn to re-taste and I tied those poor buds out so quick. :D

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
For a basic cleaning between flavors blow out the atty from the thread end, watch out for goo comng out. Stand it threads up on a a paper towel until a puddle forms.

For the cart pull the stuffing out rinse in warm water squeeze dry in a paper towel, reinsert.

When you put the atty back on be sure to re prime the atty with several drops of your next fluid.

This wont completely get rid of the previous flavor but it should go away soon. Some flavors like menthol are difficult to get rid of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread