Tauren and the auto-firing debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Howdy all,

So I posted about two threads detailing my initial purchase of the Tauren and the major flaw that I encountered.

I pretty much went over what I believed to be wrong; basically the ball bearing being free inside the cage can make contact with the side of the mod - I pulled it apart last night to get some photos, mostly for the returns process but also to show you guys proof and maybe, someone much more experienced than I; might have a solution (I'm done with this thing).

So as you'll see from the photos it looks like between the silver spring it's arcing which could explain why it only happened while on it's side - the ball bearing and top receiver are also showing concentrated arc scarring.

Now for reference I brought this thing to work as I believed it might still work and wanted to see if just simply pulling apart and putting back together made any difference, I was OH SO WRONG, it fired in a bag (proper carrying case), has torched my cotton (I now have no way to vape for today while I'm at work) and pretty sure it stressed the cell. And just in case people were wondering what that looked like I took a nice video for you all, actually two - in the second one I had to stop as the wick caught fire. Which is probably what ...... me off the most; I went away from my usual Triple 27's that I use for my coils and went with GIANT 3.5mm Aliens and I've been hard pressed to get the wicking right, JUST GOT IT DOWN PAT LAST NIGHT!!!!!

So for everyone considering a Tauren, seriously read and watch all this and please make an educated decision. there might be a fix, it might be just mine, but I AM DONE!!!! with this mod.

I also want to point out that the vape store I got it from were super helpful with the returns process, I won't name them here simply because I don't want them to be tarred with the same brush as this mod - but they were/are truly awesome.

I'll have to find a method to upload the files. any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0984 2.JPG
    IMG_0984 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3741 2.JPG
    IMG_3741 2.JPG
    911 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4027 2.JPG
    IMG_4027 2.JPG
    987.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4055 2.JPG
    IMG_4055 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5092.JPG
    IMG_5092.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6366 2.JPG
    IMG_6366 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
  • Informative
Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
To answer your last question from your other thread about this (which is now locked), reviewers didn't see this because they don't spend the time to get to really know a mod. They have a short checklist (battery door, rattling, screen niceness, how "hard" it hits, ect) and don't do much thorough hands on testing like us consumers do. They dont have much time to spend on one thing because they have 50 more waiting in line.

This is why it is important to take what they say lightly. Look up someone that bought it and has the ability to spend the time to get to know it. They will usually give much more in depth opinions and thoughts.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
To answer your last question from your other thread about this (which is now locked), reviewers didn't see this because they don't spend the time to get to really know a mod. They have a short checklist (battery door, rattling, screen niceness, how "hard" it hits, ect) and don't do much thorough hands on testing like us consumers do. They dont have much time to spend on one thing because they have 50 more waiting in line.

This is why it is important to take what they say lightly. Look up someone that bought it and has the ability to spend the time to get to know it. They will usually give much more in depth opinions and thoughts.

You're not wrong, my argument was that the way that I discovered this was by quite simply using it in a normal (by normal I mean everyday) fashion, and all that occurred to find that was it went on its side in my pocket. It's not related to age, or to some configuration that you would find in that one in a million chance it was quite simple and instantaneous; so it didn't occur after sitting on it's side for hours but in a very quick fashion.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
You're not wrong, my argument was that the way that I discovered this was by quite simply using it in a normal (by normal I mean everyday) fashion, and all that occurred to find that was it went on its side in my pocket. It's not related to age, or to some configuration that you would find in that one in a million chance it was quite simple and instantaneous; so it didn't occur after sitting on it's side for hours but in a very quick fashion.
Yeah, but reviewers don't use mods in a normal fashion, they will have multiple new set ups going all the time. They put very little use on them, enough to see if it works in some cases, then move on to the next. This should show you how little they will work with something. It is likely theirs never left the desk, and never taken out to real world settings like us consumers do.

You have to remember, these big time reviewers are making money doing this, no matter if it is from companies, youtube, or if they get it from viewer donations. So the more content they get out there, the better it is for them. Rushing through testing is going to benefit them so they can get more content out there for more people to see, to potentially get them higher profits.

EDIT- I also should say they will rush tube mods since there is so little to them, and some even say they are boring to review.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Yeah, but reviewers don't use mods in a normal fashion, they will have multiple new set ups going all the time. They put very little use on them, enough to see if it works in some cases, then move on to the next. This should show you how little they will work with something. It is likely theirs never left the desk, and never taken out to real world settings like us consumers do.

You have to remember, these big time reviewers are making money doing this, no matter if it is from companies, youtube, or if they get it from viewer donations. So the more content they get out there, the better it is for them. Rushing through testing is going to benefit them so they can get more content out there for more people to see, to potentially get them higher profits.

EDIT- I also should say they will rush tube mods since there is so little to them, and some even say they are boring to review.

Fair call, I can't argue with that. I'm probably just a little annoyed and slightly spooked by that mod.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
A little annoyed? I must say I'm pretty ...... off by all the autofiring mechs so far in 2018.
Yep, reviewers might not catch that one (Grimm almost had it but didn't connect the dots) but I find it hard to blame only them when the manufacturer didn't either and released a dangerous product. The times of seriously poor design should be over by now but nope, apparently not
FailFish.png
WutFace.png

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
A little annoyed? I must say I'm pretty ...... off by all the autofiring mechs so far in 2018.
Yep, reviewers might not catch that one (Grimm almost had it but didn't connect the dots) but I find it hard to blame only them when the manufacturer didn't either and released a dangerous product. The times of seriously poor design should be over by now but nope, apparently not
FailFish.png
WutFace.png

I understated, I haven't had a vape in nearly 5 hours.....so I'm getting all antsy.

• Optimistic

billthetroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2016
Huntington West Virginia
O man zaryk is 100% right we do use these devices alot more then reviewers do.they walk around with 20 mods throughout the day we chose one maybe 3 some times.I'll tell you whats really bad is I bet this company sent him the new switch and packed it for him because they knew all they needed to do was rig this thing up to use for a minimal amount of time.let's fix it to where it dont come out for a week he'll stop using it by them.then grim greens off to review some rta with a bonza deck that's going to change the game and he "really likes "lol he always says " i really like"just had to add that

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
To me, personally, when it comes to dealing with mech mods "everyday fashion" logically implies that you never ever ever put the mech mod (any mech mod, that is) in your pocket or bag with the battery still in there excepting only after you have adequately familiarized yourself with the mechanics of the mod and you fully understand how it might still start to auto-fire on you, and how it might not, in addition to knowing what to do to immediately safely stop it from auto-firing in the rare event that it does that. Classical user error 101.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
To me, personally, when it comes to dealing with mech mods "everyday fashion" logically implies that you never ever ever put the mech mod (any mech mod, that is) in your pocket or bag with the battery still in there excepting only after you have adequately familiarized yourself with the mechanics of the mod and you fully understand how it might still start to auto-fire on you, and how it might not, in addition to knowing what to do to immediately safely stop it from auto-firing in the rare event that it does that. Classical user error 101.

Before I sent the mod back I was taking note of the auto-fire events, this was not something you can explain away with that - and I didn't provide the context other than on its side but it fired on an incline as well. If it auto-fires at points outside of intended actuation methods in situations reasonable for the application: it's a design flaw. Turning a mod upside down and complaining of it not working is user error. So to that end I'm not going to accept classical user error 101 I'm afraid.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Before I sent the mod back I was taking note of the auto-fire events, this was not something you can explain away with that - and I didn't provide the context other than on its side but it fired on an incline as well. If it auto-fires at points outside of intended actuation methods in situations reasonable for the application: it's a design flaw. Turning a mod upside down and complaining of it not working is user error. So to that end I'm not going to accept classical user error 101 I'm afraid.
Even if it is a design flaw (it is), it is still up to the user to always figure that out before the description of "everyday fashion" can start to apply. Lest you are willing to accept the risk of personal injury.

• Useful

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Even if it is a design flaw (it is), it is still up to the user to always figure that out before the description of "everyday fashion" can start to apply. Lest you are willing to accept the risk of personal injury.

Which if you read my other posts I did - I didn't say "don't buy this mod it's terrible" I simply made mention of what I had experienced, and then made it clear that if someone will buy it, read and understand. As for my own experience I won't have it. I believe it's a design flaw, your belief is up to you.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Which if you read my other posts I did - I didn't say "don't buy this mod it's terrible" I simply made mention of what I had experienced, and then made it clear that if someone will buy it, read and understand. As for my own experience I won't have it. I believe it's a design flaw, your belief is up to you.
Not only have I already read your other posts, but your other threads as well. Mech mods are for advanced users only so what you had experienced happend not because of the design flaw, but instead it happened due to the combination of that design flaw and the fact you made the classical mistake of thinking you were an advanced user, when the reality is you posted enough clear evidence to show that you are not.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
To anyone who might stumble across this thread in the future, please note I am not trying to minimize the severity of design flaws in any way, especially these kinds of design flaws that could potentially turn out pretty catastrophic. But what we have here is not just a design flaw, but also a blatant unwillignness of the user in question to accept that the combination of "everyday fashion" and "for advanced users only" by definition already means you know all the ins and outs of the mechanics, also including any potential flaws and their potential consequence, beforehand.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Not only have I already read your other posts, but your other threads as well. Mech mods are for advanced users only so what you had experienced happend not because of the design flaw, but instead it happened due to the combination of that design flaw and the fact you made the classical mistake of thinking you were an advanced user, when the reality is you posted enough clear evidence to show that you are not.

Just trying to get my head around your thought process here:

1) Never said I was an advanced user, nor did I report this as a self-described advanced user. Granted an advanced user might handle things differently, like putting a fix in, or modifying certain components, but for something less than a month old the only reason you'd modify is to either alter it to be more suited to your style (like a stiffer spring or a shorter spring) or to use components which increase/enhance it's primary properties. At no stage in the cyclic operation of pushing an actuation switch and changing a battery in the first month should a product (in this day and age which is mass produced, sold to the public and not a prototype/concept design) result in either a decrease in usability or drastic change in usability or as you described - a design flaw.

Said design flaw (as admitted by you) was reported by myself for the benefit of other members which I felt keenly obligated to do as I said how much I enjoy it, and having not seen any instance of this occurring I wanted to make sure people knew it could happen. To paraphrase one of my earlier posts I made sure I said that it could have very well been myself, or it could have been that one mod that had a slight flaw and all the others are fine. Regardless it had to be mentioned so people were aware. Given that I did put it on the forums so people knew, and with the preface of "if you buy it just be aware" I'll go to my next point.

2) You attributed this event as a result of my lack of experience and not being an advanced user. So by your logic is it the fact that I made mention of it make me NOT an advanced user? Does the fact that it occurred make me NOT an advanced user? If someone you consider to be an advanced user makes the same post showing the same things does that automatically downgrade them to a novice user? If a mod falls over and auto-fires despite being on a desk does that make the user NOT an advanced user?

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
To anyone who might stumble across this thread in the future, please note I am not trying to minimize the severity of design flaws in any way, especially these kinds of design flaws that could potentially turn out pretty catastrophic. But what we have here is not just a design flaw, but also a blatant unwillignness of the user in question to accept that the combination of "everyday fashion" and "for advanced users only" by definition already means you know all the ins and outs of the mechanics, also including any potential flaws and their potential consequence, beforehand.

I get that you aren't trying to minimise the situation - what I also get is that my interpretation of normal doesn't coincide with yours. If this happened after treating it like a soccer ball and THAT was my interpretation of normal I'm pretty sure you and many others would chime in and tell me I'm a ....., which I would agree with. My focus was that it occurred based on incline/move to horizontal - which in the case of being on incline isn't unrealistic given how some people vape/hold their mod. To that end it's something that could happen to advanced users as well given it's not something that's widely known and as such really detracts from WHO is using it. This wasn't a "all my batteries are old and the wrapping has gone and now it's auto-firing" type whine, brother.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I hate to rain on your parade, but "every day normal use" of mech mods is possible only if you are an advanced user exactly because mech mods are for advanced users only so by saying you are not an advanced user, you are already invalidating the "every day normal use" part of that equation anyway in the first place. An advanced user does never, and especially if talking about every day normal use, leave the battery inside a mech mod excepting only after the button has been inspected by the advanced user in an equally advanced fashion as opposed to a fashion that, for reasons that are completely obvious, is incompatible with "every day normal use".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread