Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Alright, so I was reading over a house bill that just passed here in Hawaii "with amendments"

Not exactly sure what the amendments are, so this could be irrelevant, but the concept still holds true.

The legislature imposes an 80% tax on "tobacco Products" which they have conveniently bundled electronic cigarettes into.

So, what would stop a vape shop from selling all 0 nic juices, and adding nicotine as a separate purchase. For example, I buy a 30mL bottle of juice with zero nic, and then I buy enough nicotine concentrate to bump it up to say 6mg/ml

They sell me the juice for $15 (Hypothetical here) and sell me the nicotine for $1.00

So all that would get taxed is the nicotine because that's the only "Tobacco Product" (by their definition). So we only pay 80 cents in taxes rather than $12.80

If I ran a vape shop, this is what I'd be doing to prevent my customers from taking their business out of state, or worse going back to stinky sticks...

As far as I know, they would be hard pressed to define any of the electronic equipment as tobacco products, or juice without nicotine.

Is selling the nicotine as a separate purchase a viable strategy for defeating these ridiculous laws that are being proposed all over the country?

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Depends on the state and the wording of the bill/law, here in WA while they have ditched the 95% tax they where going for now they are trying to pass a 60% tax, but it isn't just on the e-juices here. They are going after everything vape related (wicking, wire, batteries, devices, ect..), along with banning of all online e-cig sales.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Ever get the feeling Government really wants you to Smoke? :glare:

Some states don't just want people to smoke they NEED people to smoke. Back when the MSA (Master Settlement Agreement) was reached between tobacco companies and the states, some of the states turned around and took out loans against the payments they would receive from the MSA funds. Some of those contracts require them to use only MSA money to pay them back, and the MSA money is based off the yearly tobacco sales of that state. CA and WA are two of the states (there are others but I can't remember them all), that have the loans on the MSA money and are getting ready to default on them.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Depends on the state and the wording of the bill/law, here in WA while they have ditched the 95% tax they where going for now they are trying to pass a 60% tax, but it isn't just on the e-juices here. They are going after everything vape related (wicking, wire, batteries, devices, ect..), along with banning of all online e-cig sales.

Right and the stupidity is i can just go get it at non vaping companies instead of a vape shop then.

cant tell me silica wick used in fibreglass sprayers, cotton balls at cvs and resistance wire used in packaging equipment will also be taxed. So instead of coming to a sensible amount they now lose all potential taxes.

How are they going to stop people ordering at somewhere like temco industrial supply? They make industrial pumps and equipment, they just happen to be a huge wire producer as well for all kinds of wire.

So i cant get abattery at a vape shop, doesnt mean i cant order some from the flashlight shop,

nothing we use was invented just for vaping.

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Right and the stupidity is i can just go get it at non vaping companies instead of a vape shop then.

cant tell me silica wick used in fibreglass sprayers, cotton balls at cvs and resistance wire used in packaging equipment will also be taxed. So instead of coming to a sensible amount they now lose all potential taxes.

How are they going to stop people ordering at somewhere like temco industrial supply? They make industrial pumps and equipment, they just happen to be a huge wire producer as well for all kinds of wire.

So i cant get abattery at a vape shop, doesnt mean i cant order some from the flashlight shop

oh the days of the first flashlight 'mods'. lol, we will be making mods out of flashlights and using blue foam all over again

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
0 nic will also be taxed ... if it's used for vaping, it's gonna be taxed.

3e55ae25-00ad-4ac9-afe3-07d41dca02c2.jpg

good thing i can get 0mg eliquid at the skin care aisle at walmart. :laugh:

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
U.S.A home of the free, not how it looks to many of us outside looks more like a quasi soviet state bit sad to see to be honest people trying to do something positive for themselves and getting trampled underfoot. What's really bad is I have a feeling once one country goes down the stupid route the dominoes will fall in others, something has gone seriously wrong in the western world.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
U.S.A home of the free, not how it looks to many of us outside looks more like a quasi soviet state bit sad to see to be honest people trying to do something positive for themselves and getting trampled underfoot. What's really bad is I have a feeling once one country goes down the stupid route the dominoes will fall in others, something has gone seriously wrong in the western world.

well to be fair, ecigs were already outright banned in other countries before the western world.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Unlike in Europe, nothing has been banned here, yet.

Can you say "European TPD"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread