TC Calibration With The Polar Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
Temperature coefficients with the Vaporesso Polar mod. Currently I don’t have any RTAs set up with NiFe, Ni, or Ti so this will dwell on SS 316L coils. Out of the box the SS coefficient is set far too high at 110 (0.00110). I’m not sure why they set it that high other than possibly to work with their SS cCell coils. With a Target Pro I tested over a year ago it was set to 115 (0.00115). I found that it was better calibrated by dialing it down to 88 (0.00088). On my Polar mod after verifying that there were no issues with the setup the best coefficient setting for SS 316L seems to be 80 (0.00080). I did find one issue. The 510 contact gold plating of the Polar was causing bad inconsistencies (not at all uncommon with gold plating on some mods and RTAs). So I used a fiberglass brush to scour off the gold completely and it stabilized greatly. I like that the Polar mod lets you dial the coefficients for better calibration instead of a locked in preset. My VBoy has those values fixed and you get one TCR slot to set a value in. But then the VBoy’s calibration seems to be perfect and doesn’t need to have those values altered.

For comparison I used my Troll RTA setup with dual coil SS 316L clapton wire at 0.22 ohm at a temperature of 210°C and my VBoy (YiHi SX500) mod which runs correctly at the standard 0.00092 coefficient for SS 316L. In a side by side comparison to get the Polar performance to equal the VBoy I had to set the coefficient to 80. Before I removed the 510 gold plating, the value had to be changed every time I attached the tank. Sometimes it would be 50, 72, 84. It was very random. The Polar is an excellent consistent TC mod once I removed the gold plating and lowered the coefficient to something sensible.

If you’re new to TC vaping you’ll soon realize the importance of coefficient settings and perfect electrical connections and that various mods are not calibrated correctly so you’ll need to fine tune the coefficient value for more precise operation and less frustration. TC vapers do it for precise control, but if your coefficient is off or there’s a sketchy connection , then it’s anything but precise.

Last edited:

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
On further use with the Polar, it looks like the SS316L coefficient is 92 (0.00092). The reason I thought is was lower has to do with the mod sensing the resistance before I have the tank tightened down. You have to spin it on very quickly to be more accurate. They should lengthen the sensing time just a bit or even better have manual sensing like my VBoy mod has. It doesn’t take but a few thousandths of an ohm difference to throw off the calibration and you won’t see it in the two decimal places resistance measurement of the mod. ‍♀️

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread