Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
When using TC, how do you deal with changing air temperatures, for instance, going outside where it's much warmer or much colder? My TC builds work great in the house, but if I go outside where the temp is different, the vape goes to crap.

My current builds are similar to this:
  • 26ga 316L
  • 3mm ID
  • About 6 wraps, spaced but not too far apart
  • .45 to .55Ω
  • 22 to 25 watts
  • Rayon wick tight (squeaky) in the coil
  • Temp Control between 340 and 400

Reactions: stols001

akiraceos

Oct 12, 2013
Sarawak, Malaysia.
I only notice that issue when I lock my ohms! for example, if you're locked in at 0.22, and the vape is fine, but u step outside into a colder area and ur ohms is still 0.22, ur going to get much less vape. This is down to how TC works, it reads the difference in resistance of your set ohms to the current ohms on the coil when firing. For example, 0.22 indoors, and when u vape it reaches 0.4 for example, that difference of 0.18 is what tells the mod its firing at a certain temperature.

However, if your device does not re-read the ohm readings from time to time, u may want to remove the RTA/RDA everytime u step into a different temperature area and let it re-read. Another way is just to play around with the temperature if u dont want to remove the tank/dripper :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
When using TC, how do you deal with changing air temperatures, for instance, going outside where it's much warmer or much colder? My TC builds work great in the house, but if I go outside where the temp is different, the vape goes to crap.

My current builds are similar to this:
  • 26ga 316L
  • 3mm ID
  • About 6 wraps, spaced but not too far apart
  • .45 to .55Ω
  • 22 to 25 watts
  • Rayon wick tight (squeaky) in the coil
  • Temp Control between 340 and 400
I read in some thread here that you have to reset your base temp with some lock function or other I think. The only mod I got that I use with TC is a therion bf so I reset the replay mode instead. I should really learn to actually use TC correctly some day. I feel like I only know how to drive automatic transmission

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think humidity plays a part in vape volume. When it's dry outside I don't get nearly as much vapor as I do when it's rainy or the humidity is just high. When we draw on our ecig we are taking in humid air. Even just our breath condenses into fog when it's cold and rainy. Dry days produce weaker vapor. Inside is usually drier than outside in the winter, but both vary.

Last edited:

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I read in some thread here that you have to reset your base temp with some lock function or other I think. The only mod I got that I use with TC is a therion bf so I reset the replay mode instead. I should really learn to actually use TC correctly some day. I feel like I only know how to drive automatic transmission
It's great when it works, but overall a bit of a P.I.T.A. I'm often tempted to go back to kanthal builds and VW mode.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Just upgrade your P80 with Arcticfox software.
Coil lock will not be needed any more and you won't have further problems with outside temp change.
Arcticfox reads your coil temp in real time and adapts, juste like a DNA board.
I put ArcticFox on one of my P80s, but haven't been able to get it to work well in TC mode with resistance locked. The TC kicks in way before the set temp is reached. Why is resistance lock not needed with ArcticFox?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I put ArcticFox on one of my P80s, but haven't been able to get it to work well in TC mode with resistance locked. The TC kicks in way before the set temp is reached. Why is resistance lock not needed with ArcticFox?
Stop using resistance lock and your problems will go away..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Everything I've read thus far indicates that not locking resistance defeats the purpose and functionality of TC- that it relies on the cold coil resistance to accurately measure and regulate temperature.
Unless it constantly measures temperature. At that point resistance locking effectively becomes an obsolete feature like double clutching a modern transmission. Sometimes it does nothing useful, sometimes it actually causes additional problems

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Unless it constantly measures temperature. At that point resistance locking effectively becomes an obsolete feature like double clutching a modern transmission. Sometimes it does nothing useful, sometimes it actually causes additional problems
OK. I'm keeping an open mind, but if the software relies on the cold resistance of the coil to measure temperature, the measurement will be inaccurate as the resistance increases, unless it is locked?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
OK. I'm keeping an open mind, but if the software relies on the cold resistance of the coil to measure temperature, the measurement will be inaccurate as the resistance increases, unless it is locked?
I honestly don’t know the exact methodology. I do know that the therion bf that I’ve got does not like to have its resistance locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread