The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

TC Going From Indoor to Outdoor Air Temp

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by magicmyst, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. magicmyst

magicmyst Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    When using TC, how do you deal with changing air temperatures, for instance, going outside where it's much warmer or much colder? My TC builds work great in the house, but if I go outside where the temp is different, the vape goes to crap.

My current builds are similar to this:
    • 26ga 316L
    • 3mm ID
    • About 6 wraps, spaced but not too far apart
    • .45 to .55Ω
    • 22 to 25 watts
    • Rayon wick tight (squeaky) in the coil
    • Temp Control between 340 and 400

• Like Like x 1
  2. t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    I have not noticed any change in TC on my devices with changing temps ?
    DNA's/RSQ/Aurora mods even my Smok alien,no change with different temps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    What mod are you using? Just curious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. akiraceos

akiraceos Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Sarawak, Malaysia.
    I only notice that issue when I lock my ohms! for example, if you're locked in at 0.22, and the vape is fine, but u step outside into a colder area and ur ohms is still 0.22, ur going to get much less vape. This is down to how TC works, it reads the difference in resistance of your set ohms to the current ohms on the coil when firing. For example, 0.22 indoors, and when u vape it reaches 0.4 for example, that difference of 0.18 is what tells the mod its firing at a certain temperature.

However, if your device does not re-read the ohm readings from time to time, u may want to remove the RTA/RDA everytime u step into a different temperature area and let it re-read. Another way is just to play around with the temperature if u dont want to remove the tank/dripper :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I read in some thread here that you have to reset your base temp with some lock function or other I think. The only mod I got that I use with TC is a therion bf so I reset the replay mode instead. I should really learn to actually use TC correctly some day. I feel like I only know how to drive automatic transmission

• Like Like x 1
  6. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I think humidity plays a part in vape volume. When it's dry outside I don't get nearly as much vapor as I do when it's rainy or the humidity is just high. When we draw on our ecig we are taking in humid air. Even just our breath condenses into fog when it's cold and rainy. Dry days produce weaker vapor. Inside is usually drier than outside in the winter, but both vary.

• Like Like x 2
  7. t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    I never lock my resistance in TC on any of my mods that is why I never notice a change in vape .

Try not locking and see how it works for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Wismec Sinuous P80

• Like Like x 1
  9. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    It's great when it works, but overall a bit of a P.I.T.A. I'm often tempted to go back to kanthal builds and VW mode.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lanciab

Lanciab Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 19, 2018
    Just upgrade your P80 with Arcticfox software.
    Coil lock will not be needed any more and you won't have further problems with outside temp change.
    Arcticfox reads your coil temp in real time and adapts, juste like a DNA board.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I put ArcticFox on one of my P80s, but haven't been able to get it to work well in TC mode with resistance locked. The TC kicks in way before the set temp is reached. Why is resistance lock not needed with ArcticFox?

12. Lanciab

May 19, 2018
    I'm not a technical expert to answer this question.
    All I can say is that I've read several times that résistance lock is not needed with Arcticfox, and so I never do it and never had any problem.
    Just try !

13. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Stop using resistance lock and your problems will go away..

14. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Everything I've read thus far indicates that not locking resistance defeats the purpose and functionality of TC- that it relies on the cold coil resistance to accurately measure and regulate temperature.

15. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Unless it constantly measures temperature. At that point resistance locking effectively becomes an obsolete feature like double clutching a modern transmission. Sometimes it does nothing useful, sometimes it actually causes additional problems

16. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    OK. I'm keeping an open mind, but if the software relies on the cold resistance of the coil to measure temperature, the measurement will be inaccurate as the resistance increases, unless it is locked?

17. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I honestly don’t know the exact methodology. I do know that the therion bf that I’ve got does not like to have its resistance locked.

18. Lanciab

May 19, 2018
    With DNA chips and Articfox upgraded Joyetech/Eleaf/wismec chips, you have better results unlocking the résistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.