Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm experimenting with TC on my new Aegis Solo and would welcome any suggestions and/or information.

My coils are SS 316L, between .36Ω and .42Ω, and I like about 19.5 - 20 watts in VW mode.

Am I correct that for TC on a non-dna mod I should lock the resistance?

If temp rarely goes above 180℃, what would be a reasonable temp setting?

I'm currently running a .37Ω coil in TCR mode (0.92). If the protection never/rarely kicks in does that mean I've got the temp set too high? IOW, how to know where to set the temp?

Any advice/info/suggestions will be appreciated!

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I'm experimenting with TC on my new Aegis Solo and would welcome any suggestions and/or information.

My coils are SS 316L, between .36Ω and .42Ω, and I like about 19.5 - 20 watts in VW mode.

Am I correct that for TC on a non-DNA mod I should lock the resistance?

I'm having trouble finding a user manual for the Solo, but that's usually true. The key factor in locking your resistance is doing it when the coil is at room temperature. If the coil's at all warm when you lock it, your temperatures will be way off.

If temp rarely goes above 180℃, what would be a reasonable temp setting?

I'm currently running a .37Ω coil in TCR mode (0.92). If the protection never/rarely kicks in does that mean I've got the temp set too high? IOW, how to know where to set the temp?

Any advice/info/suggestions will be appreciated!

I've heard of two different ways of using temperature control (I use the second, myself):

1. More-or-less like VW vaping, but with the TC as a backup in case of dry hits or anything like that. If this is what you're doing, 180C may be a reasonable setting for you. Most of the time your vape will be controlled by your wattage setting. The protection will kick in to prevent it getting too hot if something unusual happens.

2. True temperature control. You set the temperature you want your vape to be at. Then you set the wattage somewhat higher than you'd usually need to get there. The higher wattage brings you to your set temperature quickly, and then the mod controls the power to keep it there. With this style of vaping, temperature protection should be on most of the time.

To try this out, you'll want your temperature setting to be a bit lower. Take a puff and note your temp reading at a point where you're really enjoying it (if you can see it without going cross-eyed). If not, just adjust the temperature setting until you like what you're getting. As you usually like the wattage around 20, start with it at 25 or so and let the mod throttle it back.

This style is particularly useful for people who want a long, steady puff. For those who take shorter puffs, VW often provides enough control without fiddling with TC. Others enjoy the variation as it heats up. I don't happen to be one of them, so TC is perfect for me.

Good luck!

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Honestly, there's no need to lock resistance for TC. Otherwise you'll end just end up crippling it, as it uses changes in resistance to monitor the temperature with some accuracy.

Once you've got the TCR set right, it's just temperature and wattage to sort.

Temperature sets your cutoff point.

Wattage is how quickly it'll get there.

Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Honestly, there's no need to lock resistance for TC. Otherwise you'll end just end up crippling it, as it uses changes in resistance to monitor the temperature with some accuracy.

I've found that depends on the mod and how you're vaping. With some, especially if you're chain vaping, if you don't lock the resistance it'll update the base resistance before the coil's cooled down and throw everything off. It just keeps getting hotter and hotter.

Reactions: tdman77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread