The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Technique I’ve been doing with regulated builds,

Discussion in 'RDA' started by Joe Vito, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Hey guys. So after much confusion on what wattage I should be vaping at with my builds, I have come across this technique. Now I know the math is different comparing mechs to regulated, so wanted to see if this makes sense to you guys. Basically what I’m doing to figure out what I’ll vape at, is my typical ohms law. So let’s say I have a .30 build...If I’m using a mech on a freshly charged 18650, that’s going to be pushing just about 59 watts...and abracadabra, I now set my regulated to 59 watts. Thoughts?

2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Gonna run your battery down pretty quick but it will work. If I want a single battery mod to last awhile I generally go no higher than 30 or 40. Usually lower. The coil I have in my current is a .35-.38ohm (it’s getting a bit old and probably needs to be changed) 5 wrap 22ga kanthal @3.5mm and the highest I can go with it without burning up a wick in a day is 25w

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    I forgot to mention I’m using a dual 18650. The batteries go in series (if that makes a difference)

• Like Like x 1
  4. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Totally does. It works up the math though. I’ve never used a two battery series mech so I’ve never worked through the math for them. I’m afraid my advice is useless here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    From my understanding I don’t believe it changes the wattage at all, so I would think it would be irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Series not parallel... I think... gah! I really need to stay out of this one

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Haha I’m so confused.

8. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Mooch where are you on this one lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ben85

Ben85 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Personally, I think you are really overthinking this. Get yourself some decent batteries, find a build you like and then play with the wattage you like until you are happy with the vape quality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mrjohs

mrjohs Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2015
    Why do maths when the mod does it for you? Just tweak the wattage until it feels right.

The bigger and thicker the coil, the more wattage you'll need. It is as simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Not necessarily, though admittedly usually.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Yes, the regulator will provide 4.2 volts to your .3 coil to get your 59 watts. This won't be the same as your mechanical because the regulator will maintain 4.2 volts and your mechanical will have voltage sag (lower voltage to the coil). Due to the low resistance load the battery can't provide 4.2 volts to the coil even at a full charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    What wattage you set has little to do with the resistance. Make a coil with same resistance but using different materials and you will see what I mean.
    Also I don't know why Mooch particularly would be consulted for this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jersey_emt

jersey_emt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    A two-cell series mechanical mod provides 8.4 volts on a fully-charged battery. Wattage is quadrupled – a 0.3 ohm coil on a series mech mod runs at 235 watts.

But as to the original topic, your suggestion does work, but only in a very general sense and only as a starting point. I can make a 0.3 ohm build that will work great at 60 watts. But I can also make a 0.3 ohm build that needs 120 watts, and another 0.3 ohm build that only needs 30 watts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    But if your using a single battery freshly charged on a mech, it’s going to give you 60 watts...so how do you know which 0.3 to use?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ben85

Ben85 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Again, you are overthinking this. Try various builds and ramp up wattages to where you like the vape.

• Like Like x 2
  17. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    mass/surface = high -> high power
    mass/surface = low -> less power
    Your build will be somewhere on that low to high scale and you'll need to set your power accordingly in order for it to heat up quickly and to not burn your cotton. For builds on a mech it's a little bit more tricky because you set the power itself with your build.
    How to do it is based on experience, we don't have a "take x gram of y material" formula (yet).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.