The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Technology that needs to be regulated out of existence NOW!

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by rothenbj, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Google's driverless cars to be allowed on roads after ministers rewrite Highway Code - Telegraph

This is an outrage. We just don't know the long term effects of turning over the operation of a motor vehicle to a series of cameras and a computer as well as the mechanical parts this technology will connect to. Without extensive double blind studies it is extremely dangerous to allow this new technology to enter the market. With auto accidents being one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the US it is unconscionable that this would be allowed.

There appears to be a lack of concern for our children as accidents are the leading cause of death up to the age of 24. Those death rates are orders of magnitude larger than the mortality from smoking in the 1-24 year old age group. Not only has it not been proven that these cars are any safer than conventional cars, they may entice more of our youth to try them and move on to conventional cars that they are unprepared to navigate.

Instead of licensing this technology, California should maintain their commitment to the nanny state and immediately ban the technology until we're sure it's safer. This is not a safe alternative to conventional automobiles!

2. Jman8

Jman8 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Did you see the cartoon on the side of the car where it says "Google." Picture of a cutesy car where the "oo" would be in Google. There can be no conceivable purpose for that other than to entice children into a life of danger and addiction to driverless automotive riding. What adult is going to like such branding?

There are some well renowned scientist in CA who have tested early versions where they went on a highway, and attempt to drive in current automobiles without touching the steering wheel. Guess what? Their tests showed it to be very harmful to all passengers in the vehicle, and this is science!

I don't think it is fair to say they ought to ban this technology until it is safer. I say manufacturers of this car need to prove that it is 100% safe and until that is proven over a reasonable time period of 50 years, only then would I be in favor of this sort of technology.

3. twgbonehead

twgbonehead Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA
    I think that each component of the vehicle should be registered as a new product. After all, driverless cars did not exist a few years ago, so there is no precedent for any of these parts to be allowed on the road until they have been approved.

4. Uma

Uma Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2010
    Calif
    OMG, I couldn't agree more. What are they thinking?!? This also puts a totally new spin on the term "morning hacking". Just imagine how many kids can be run over at school by a hacked car or worse yet, hacked bus or truck.

5. FourWinds

FourWinds Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    UK
    I bet that even though it has no direct controls you still won't be able to drink.

6. Jman8

Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I keep wondering about this. I can't think of reason why it wouldn't be allowed, but can't think of a political reality where it would be allowed.

7. rurwin

rurwin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    Thinking of the many and various failures of GPS and putting it together with Google car...

It might drive very safely on a paved highway, but I'd hate to be in the back seat when it turned onto a farm track.

8. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    On our most recent trip, the Garmin Nuvi kept telling us to make a U-turn. The screen showed us driving across fields, when clearly we were driving on a fairly new paved road.

Yup, you figured it out. Old maps.

I attempted to update the maps when I got home, only to learn that there wasn't enough room on the device for the new and improved maps. I had to make a trip to HH Greg to buy an SD card.

So what would happen in situation like this if there had not been an intelligent human being in control of the car?

9. Jman8

Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry. Due to temporary staff shortage...
    Central Services Google cannot take service calls centrally between 2300 and 0900 hours.
    Have a nice day. This has not been a recording.

10. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    The same that happens when there is no intelligent human being in control of the car - car accidents. ;)

11. jpargana

jpargana Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Portugal

I believe this is the main reason why politicians have someone to drive "their" (actually, "our") cars !! :lol:

12. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    Wonder who is subject to liability and criminal issues if it crashes: The person behind the wheel (can't say driver), the programmer, the maker of the gps, or maybe Google.

13. Nermal

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I did take the intent in the original post, but I've had concerns about the bucket of worms liability issues, too.

14. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    There's an STD danger somewhere hidden in this technology that needs to be investigated also.

15. twgbonehead

twgbonehead Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA
    As the saying goes, "You can sue anybody, at any time, for anything".

You left out the GPS satellite manufacturers, NASA (who put them up there) and whoever it is that makes Twinkies these days!

16. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    By STD, you mean Smoking Tobacco Danger?

17. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    This reminds me of when Elizabeth Dole (then Sec. of Transportation) when the seatbelt law was passed, getting into her limo without 'buckling up'. The laws are for you guys, not us. :facepalm:

18. rurwin

rurwin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    There's an apocryphal statistic that says the average speed of traffic in London is the same as it was before the motor car was invented.

19. Nermal

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I can believe that, rurwin. They also say that modern armies travel at almost the exact speed of Julius Caesar's legions. The teeth are much faster, but the tail is much, much longer and slower.

20. guambred

guambred Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 21, 2014
    Guam, USA
    image.jpg

These need banning as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.