Technology that needs to be regulated out of existence NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Google's driverless cars to be allowed on roads after ministers rewrite Highway Code - Telegraph

This is an outrage. We just don't know the long term effects of turning over the operation of a motor vehicle to a series of cameras and a computer as well as the mechanical parts this technology will connect to. Without extensive double blind studies it is extremely dangerous to allow this new technology to enter the market. With auto accidents being one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the US it is unconscionable that this would be allowed.

There appears to be a lack of concern for our children as accidents are the leading cause of death up to the age of 24. Those death rates are orders of magnitude larger than the mortality from smoking in the 1-24 year old age group. Not only has it not been proven that these cars are any safer than conventional cars, they may entice more of our youth to try them and move on to conventional cars that they are unprepared to navigate.

Instead of licensing this technology, California should maintain their commitment to the nanny state and immediately ban the technology until we're sure it's safer. This is not a safe alternative to conventional automobiles!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Did you see the cartoon on the side of the car where it says "Google." Picture of a cutesy car where the "oo" would be in Google. There can be no conceivable purpose for that other than to entice children into a life of danger and addiction to driverless automotive riding. What adult is going to like such branding?

There are some well renowned scientist in CA who have tested early versions where they went on a highway, and attempt to drive in current automobiles without touching the steering wheel. Guess what? Their tests showed it to be very harmful to all passengers in the vehicle, and this is science!

I don't think it is fair to say they ought to ban this technology until it is safer. I say manufacturers of this car need to prove that it is 100% safe and until that is proven over a reasonable time period of 50 years, only then would I be in favor of this sort of technology.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
On our most recent trip, the Garmin Nuvi kept telling us to make a U-turn. The screen showed us driving across fields, when clearly we were driving on a fairly new paved road.

Yup, you figured it out. Old maps.

I attempted to update the maps when I got home, only to learn that there wasn't enough room on the device for the new and improved maps. I had to make a trip to HH Greg to buy an SD card.

So what would happen in situation like this if there had not been an intelligent human being in control of the car?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
So what would happen in situation like this if there had not been an intelligent human being in control of the car?

I'm sorry. Due to temporary staff shortage...
Central Services Google cannot take service calls centrally between 2300 and 0900 hours.
Have a nice day. This has not been a recording.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Did you see the cartoon on the side of the car where it says "Google." Picture of a cutesy car where the "oo" would be in Google. There can be no conceivable purpose for that other than to entice children into a life of danger and addiction to driverless automotive riding. What adult is going to like such branding?

There are some well renowned scientist in CA who have tested early versions where they went on a highway, and attempt to drive in current automobiles without touching the steering wheel. Guess what? Their tests showed it to be very harmful to all passengers in the vehicle, and this is science!

I don't think it is fair to say they ought to ban this technology until it is safer. I say manufacturers of this car need to prove that it is 100% safe and until that is proven over a reasonable time period of 50 years, only then would I be in favor of this sort of technology.

There's an STD danger somewhere hidden in this technology that needs to be investigated also.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Wonder who is subject to liability and criminal issues if it crashes: The person behind the wheel (can't say driver), the programmer, the maker of the gps, or maybe Google.

As the saying goes, "You can sue anybody, at any time, for anything".

You left out the GPS satellite manufacturers, NASA (who put them up there) and whoever it is that makes Twinkies these days!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I believe this is the main reason why politicians have someone to drive "their" (actually, "our") cars !! :lol:

This reminds me of when Elizabeth Dole (then Sec. of Transportation) when the seatbelt law was passed, getting into her limo without 'buckling up'. The laws are for you guys, not us. :facepalm:

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
image.jpg

These need banning as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread