The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Teeth hurting??? Please help it's for my mother who I'm trying to get to quit analogs!!

Discussion in 'Comments Needed' started by algriff, Mar 19, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. algriff

algriff Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    So I've been vaping for about 10 months and I've never had this issue.

I got my my mother a smoker for 35+ years to try vaping and she is saying that she is getting a lot of pain in her teeth when vaping?? At first she thought it was the metal drip tip but even after switching to a derlin tip she is still getting a ton of pain in her teeth. I really want her to continue to vape as I know it's way better for her but has anyone experienced this?!?!?!?!?

2. sidetrack

sidetrack Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2011
    among the sea shells
    And the last time she visited the dentist was??

3. algriff

May 18, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    Good question? I did not think to ask her that? I'm pretty sure she goes on a regular basis but I can't speak for her on that. I will ask her though. Thank you.

4. sidetrack

Feb 1, 2011
    among the sea shells
    Could also be just a coincidence and have really nothing to do with vapeing...ie an abcess tooth, cracked tooth, perio problems, etc.. Try a desesitizing toothpaste(sensodyne)......A fluoride Rx toothpaste........otc fluoride rinse see if any of these help. I would definately have her contact her DDS especially if she past her recall date.
    Another thing to check...does she grind her teeth?

5. algriff

May 18, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks again!!! Will do!!

6. sidetrack

Feb 1, 2011
    among the sea shells
    My pleasure and hope it speeds up the resolution of the problem.

7. NJC

NJC Full Member Verified Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NJ
    1. Head over to the Health forums here. There's a lot of psuedo-science, justifications, actual science, gems of information, and often most useful of all -- people's experiences, even if people don't have answers. There is a lot of good dental related information there. Don't expect definitive answers -- you will have to piece some things together.

2. Teeth are awful things. It would be a dream if we were born with a care package that has six extra sets, but we unfortunately that isn't the case. We only get one set. Like sidetrack mentioned, it could be one of many things, vaping exacerbating one of them, or one alone, especially as we age.

3. Have her see the Dentist. Either way, if you have a heavy level of enamel wear, you will find a ton of things sensitive or almost painful, or straight up "Ouch!" Same goes for cracks, fillings, cavities, dry mouth and everything in between. It can be as simple as something cold or hot - ice water or coffee. It can present itself always or sometimes.

4. Taking the fact that we only get one set....even the simple sometimes "strained" motion of vaping, the general airflow, the general loss of moisture simply from the motion without actually vaping can cause sensitivity, like trying to drink too hard out of a small straw, like trying to puff off an imaginary Provari when funds are low or someone trying to whistle for the first time. If there's any existing condition that sort of dry draw is a tooth's enemy. When you tack on the ideas of dehydration and vaping, you'll have a dentist applauding you for quitting smoking and eventually crying when they start thinking about dry mouth.

5. The dehydration thing - to me this is less about "didn't drink much water, I felt weak", this is more about "your mouth needs constant care and feeding", period.

I'm a person that prior to vaping wasn't a big water drinker. Just wasn't on my mind. When I'd drink water, a light would switch on and I'd want a gallon. My significant other is the total opposite. She drinks water through the day like she lives in the Sahara. The first time I started caring that much more about water was shortly before I began vaping -- I screwed up my back while hiking and was given pain killers for two weeks. The doctor warned me about the normal stuff, but really, really stressed the dehydration factor to the point that I asked more questions.

I assumed it was about things like dizziness and the like, and but focused on dental issues...so much about maintaining a balance of things in regard to teeth and the mouth that I asked more. I'd never really equated the impact of taking meds with an impact on teeth. I ended up learned more than I wanted to, but enough to scare the crap out of me. All I can say is have a strong stomach if you start web searching about dry mouth and the effects.... I think of vaping in a similar but probably stronger manner than the way some medications can affect the mouth....and thus the teeth.

I have had sensitivity here or there during my short stint in vaping. I do find it slightly more with the metal drip tips -- I think this is more to do with the fact that I hold it in a less relaxed, more strained way than the more open Delran's I have or some of the softer, more forgiving tips that people included as a freebie.

The fact that my SO mentioned similar things in the last week after about three months of vaping and less than me made me worry a bit more, especially for someone that is and has always been someone that would get ten gold stars more than me regarding dental care.

I also subscribe to the idea of more frequent brushing with a very soft bristle brush. Nothing excessive, but I can't help but think that my teeth aren't to some extent either coated with PG or VG....or worse....dry. I've also sworn away from the typical Mouth Washes like Listorene...or anything Alcohol based that further dries out your mouth.

6. But despite the wall of words above, the short answer is get her to the dentist. With or without, head over to the health forums here. But also browse around a little bit for brands like Biotene and Oasis, whether it be Amazon or the local grocery store. There's a ton of products meant for mouth dry mouth but also sensitive teeth -- toothpaste, rinse, spray, gum, the whole nine.

When I had the brief sensitivity stint that could border on being called pain, a few things helped me - (a) Advil, (b) Crest Sensitivity toothpaste (a godsend really), (c) a couple of the small tooth pain products (things like Ambesol but in a gel form - I forget the brand).

My random guess though -- which is about as useful as anyone else's comment unless they are a card-carrying Dentist -- it's probably vaping exacerbating an existing condition. But always keep in mind that even if it amplifies an existing condition, it isn't to say that it isn't also making it worse.

Either way -- same as everything else -- try to make the most informed decision you can make and if you find a Eureka moment, or gem of knowledge please, please, please share it with the rest of us. It's for the benefit of not just your Mom, but all of us.

8. newq

newq Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Coming from someone with a ton of tooth related issues, Does she have dentures? Does she have bridges (permanent false teeth) or does she have her natural teeth?

Not that I intend to degrade your mothers integrity please this is not my intention.

However Denture discomfort can be the dry of the pallet from vaping with the appliance in place. I would suggest having a drink handy to sip while vaping. On a side not sometimes sucking can be uncomfortable for denture wearers as the dentures may travel on her gum ridge.

If she has Bridges again the vaping can cause oral dryness. This may cause problems with permanent bridges.

If she has natural teeth some people naturally dont produce much saliva. This can cause issues with taste and premature tooth erosion. Teeth need saliva to stay healthy.Additionally smoking can damamge salivary glands and reduce their normal output. There are mouth wash products available to help with this sort of discomfort. Vaping may have exascerbated the experience.

Either way exncourage her to visit a dentist. An experts opinion may prove invaluable sooner than later.

Further, some "mature" individuals often feel silly or embarassed using these battery operated devices as we all know they do command attention. Could it be she is embarassed and does not want you to think she has squandered the gift you gave her?

9. Vchick

Vchick Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Congrats on getting your mom to try vaping, I hope she stays with it.....

As a side note I had some problems for a while also, turns out I was clenching my drip tips. Darn mokies were much lighter (not to mention alot softer!) to hold in my teeth than these damn batts! Would be worth asking if it's all or just her front teeth. In any case I hope you can find out what's going on, let us know! ;)

10. congaman

congaman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I just bought some ACT Dry Mouth floride mouth rinse. Used it last night before bed. Going to give it a few days before i give it a thumbs up/down. Might help your mom.

11. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    I am not sure what to say here. But, I also had some pain in my teeth when I first started vaping. Not sure if it was dry mouth, or maybe a withdrawal somehow from analogs. But I will say it went away, and I haven't really heard too much about it negatively being linked to vaping. I would think the opposite. Maybe analogs dull the nerves in the mouth, and therefor if she is not smoking, or smoking as much now, it is a matter of her regaining her feelings and in turn feeling the pain that was masked by the analogs. But I'm no dentist. Good luck.

-CC-my avatar is Uranus

12. TennDave

TennDave Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    I was a 30+ year 2 pack a day smoker when switching to an e-cig got me off of analogs for the first time ever (after many attempts with other things). My teeth began to hurt (gums too) after a week or so of e-cig use. What I finally concluded about this was that I was sucking so hard, trying to get the amount of nicotine in my system from my tine e-cig that I literally had it in my mouth all the time and sucked hard all the time. Raising the nicotine level helped but the thing that completely alleviated my teeth/gum pain was upgrading to a larger battery/pv where I didn't have to suck on a little e-cig all the time.

This could be your mother's issue as well- she's just trying to get the nicotine she was use to getting in her system!!

13. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    After reading the responses from others, two things come to mind.

1) Several months ago I began experiencing serious pain in my molar on the upper left side. I had had a cracked molar several years before and that's what I was afriad was happening. Would you believe that the dentist discovered that I had a sinus infection? In the X-ray you could see the swollan sinus, and it was apparently pressing down on the nerve. So things that seem to be dental can sometimes turn out to be something else.

2) Some 20 years back when I was being a good girl and had given up smoking, two days after I took off the last patch, I began experiencing excruciating pain in my teeth. Turns out that I had begun "jaw clenching", mostly when I was asleep. I did some research and found out that animal experiments had found jaw clenching to be one of the signs of nicotine withdrawal. Luckily for me, this was one of the (few) wd symptoms that cleared up on its own after a few weeks.

It should be noted that we do not get the same amount of nicotine per puff that we used to get from smoke. Your mother might need a higher strength of nicotine, a stronger battery than you get from the mini-ecigs, and/or might benefit from swtching to a tank style. You don't have to suck as hard on them, becuase there is no filler to hang onto the liquid.

My lungs also felt better after I switched to an eGo tank model. I suspect that I was sucking so hard on the minis that I was inhaling some fibers from the filler material.

It sure couldn't hurt to have Mom see a dentist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.