Tell me about bicycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
You guys are scaring me.... I don't plan to ever be climbing anything on a bike, nor ever ride in traffic! I am a newbie of the first degree on bicycling, I am just doing it to get into better shape, and enjoy the view. I am fortunate to live a couple of miles from this rail-trail in Missouri, check out some of the info on it.

It has recently been expanded to cover about 250 miles, most of it along the Missouri River.

entiretrailBKT.jpg

It winds around bluffs right on the edge of the river. In the area that I live and ride, there is never more than a 3 or 4 degree grade, so it is an easy-peasy ride overall. It's all finely crushed limestone. There's prehistoric carvings above you that Lewis and Clark first discovered. The deer are pretty used to riders, and don't run until you are 6 or 8 feet away from them. There are a few copperheads and rattlers, but they're just sunning themselves when it's cool, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. There is one spot where eagles nest always, don't know why they picked that spot.

This was a railroad in 1870, it became a rail-trail in 1990. In 1896, as a publicity stunt set, the Katy crashed two locomotives, pulling loaded trains. The collision occurred before over 40 thousand spectators, three of whom died (and there were several injuries) when the exploding boilers sent debris flying. This wasn't around here, it was on the southern leg of this, in Texas.

This is the longest rail-trail in the USA, and apparently people come from all over the country to ride it. I lived near it for 9 years, knew it was there and walked a bit of it looking at the old train bridges and stuff left over. A few months ago, I decided to learn how to ride a bike, and see more of it.

There's a cool annual thing, that just happened a bit ago on the Katy Trail. They have a huge ride, hundreds of people that ride a 30 mile stretch, camp, and ride back. There is lots of music in all the tiny towns along the trail. I didn't ride it this year, it was too hot and I am too much of a newbie, but attended several of the bang gigs.

Soooo, 40 mph in traffic? That's not for me! I'm riding a triple-crank with knobbies, only because that's what it came with. Some of the more serious KT riders recommend doing away with knobs, and get some easier-rolling tires. A road bike works fine on this, but it's occasionally bumpy enough that MTB are the preferred mode. Plus, I got it (Trek 4300 hardtail MTB) for only $90.

Last edited:

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Nice. And, yeah, that will easily do what you want. I live in the middle of Atlanta. We have the Silver Comet trail (very similar; used to be a rail road track) but it takes like 15-20 minutes of driving to get to it from where I live…longer in traffic. It's really not worth it, so I just ride in the city.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
I live in California, but not too sure where the trails are, like I said, I'm more of a road biker. There are some trails around my neighborhood around a lake-ish pond thing that I took my mountain bike on, nothing special, just dirt road around a pond. Didn't like getting dirt on my face and a line of dirt on my back... So I got a road bike. I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle (street bike Asian kind) but it's a little dangerous. The neighborhood i bike around doesn't have too much traffic, but it is windy. Sometimes just to go straight, i'd have to bike at an angle. This is the closest I'm willing to go to driving a motor cycle for now lol!

Took a trip to San Francisco and biked across the golden gate bridge and to the Wharf, but traffic isn't my thing either. Some people don't realize how much wind they push when driving next to a cyclist, and don't want to take that chance for now with clipless pedals.

Also biked 35 miles next to the American river (has a paved path for runners and cyclists).

And a 65 mile bike ride near the stockton delta with a Filipino bike club in the area. It was nuts seeing that many people biking, but it was windy, and in an area where farms are and smelled like cow poo for long strip of our ride. With the wind and dust flying, it felt like I was inhaling poo, haha! That was a few years ago though and to a long hiatus from riding. And recently got back on my bike and hopefully start doing some longer rides when I get back in shape. Furthest I've gone lately was around 30 miles taking laps around the neighborhood, but that's starting to get boring lol! I need to get a job or something.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Yeah…I just ride in the city. There are a lot of residential or semi-residential areas that link together, so you don't have to ride on major roads if you don't want to. And most drivers are at least half-way conscious of what they're doing.

People complain about Atlanta drivers all the time, but I think they're awesome considering how many millions of miles people drive in this city each day. People don't realize just how many cars there are for how few accidents we have.

I've been in some close calls…mostly people changing lanes in traffic without looking……but fortunately, I can corner and brake faster than the vast majority of the cars if we're going <30mph. The only thing that really concerns me is when there are bike lanes next to parallel parking spaces. People don't look over their shoulders before they open car doors……so those bike lanes are nothing but death traps. After the first time I reached over my bars to close a door that was opening in front of me, I gave up on them……which means other drivers see me going a lot slower than them (usually 15-20mph on flat) and ignoring the bike lane……and if they're not a cyclist, they get ...... and usually cut around me without enough room.

The funniest one was when I got stopped by a cop for ignoring the bike lanes. It was one of the times my computer told me I was doing like 38 on a fairly steep descent. The bike lane there wasn't a legal bike lane (too narrow and included the gutter), so I was ignoring it and took the traffic lane. I was afraid he was going to stop me for speeding. No, he just b**ched at me about how I should be using the bike lane and a bunch of other stuff. He didn't go away until I pulled out my iPhone and looked up the definition of a bike lane on a DOT website and offered to measure it for him if he had a tape measurer (it was obvious). That was a weird day.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Yeah, I'm sure San Francisco is more bike friendly than the area around my neighborhood, a lot more cyclists there. I miss it, but being chubby, I won't feel comfortable in my bib/jersey. LoL! Of course I could wear regular shots and shirt over my biking gear, but I find it funny passing people in my tights and standing up. Haha!

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
You roadies, you are braver than I! I rode a street bike (motorcycle) some years ago. As primarily a (motorcycle) dirt bike guy, It was scary then because cars tend to just look through you. Add to that the cellphone/texting going on today, it has to be worse. Most street bikes have very supreme visibility/maneuverability/braking/acceleration advantages over cars, but that doesn't do you much good if they turn in front of you.

In cramming down bicycle info in the last few months trying to learn, I saw the statistic that 40% of all car trips are two miles are less. IF (and that's a big if) there were reliable and observed bike lanes, I think commuting to work in nice weather makes a lot of sense.

However, it won't work for me. I have a 17 mile commute, and most of it is on an interstate. There is a back way that I can get there, but it is big hills on a 2-lane country blacktop, with no shoulders at all, and some 5-foot dropoffs in several places. The same extreme hills are between me and the rail-trail, no plans of ever riding there. There are a few triathlete guys that ride out there, but it is unsafe for themselves and others.

One of my co-workers is a triathlete guy, training for something this fall. This guy rides 10,000 miles a year on his bike. I can't imagine even the time investment. I've known a few people that didn't drive that much a year in their car.

It's a little cooler here today, it's DOWN TO BODY TEMPERATURE outside for today's high, anyway. I was wanting to ride a bit tonight, but the spousal unit wants to grill, so we'll see how it goes.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Yeah when I first started riding I my commute was very similar to that, the way I'd take if I were to ride was a back way 2-way road without bike lanes that has a lot of commuters with one side being a hill, the other going down. I was just biking and getting in shape to get to work in an hour, but they changed my schedule to night shift. If I had cellphone reception down there and drivers didn't go so fast (gotta admit, even I thought driving fast there was fun, no sharp turns but curvy), I would have definitely been biking to work. I would have gotten skinny in a few months (and I'm a chubby guy). Work was a lot of labor, a lot of lifting and repetitious stuff. I had it all planned out too, leave my steal toes at work, leave my lunch box at work and just pack food and an ice pack to throw in the lunch box, bought a little stand for my bike, and started looking for an extremely reflective jersey and rear lights and a leave my work clothes at work. But maybe if I had done that I would have sooner or later gotten hit on the road by commuters still trying to wake up for work.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
My commute used to be about 12 miles each way…and I've done it on my bike (when I was a smoker). It was fine, but I had to make sure I had enough time to shower once I got where I was going. And riding back at 2am (which happened a lot) got screwy because any path that wasn't on the interstate rode by homeless settlements. Nothing ever happened, but my heart got racing more than it was just from the cycling……and being a smoker then, I was okay on the bike……but my lungs/heart weren't in good enough shape to know I could stand up and hammer at 25mph at the drop of a hat. So that stopped.

My current commute is like 7 miles. But that includes about 6000 feet of climbing (and corresponding descents), mostly on 2 big hills that are around 18% grades. Back when I was smoking, they were long enough that I blew up at the crest every time. A few more months without the stinkies and I might be good to go……but I'd still need to plan around showers.

Really, the only thing stopping me is having to ride with a macbook pro. I'm confident in my bike handling and traffic abilities, and I like my bag (a chrome messenger bag…can't say enough good about it) but I just don't have the money to replace it if something happens……not worried about data…backups are taken care of…but I can't go a day without it. Really…it's being wary about my laptop that's the only thing that makes me drive every day. I kind of hate it. $6000 a year in gas costs, untold amounts on insurance, car payments, and maintenance……just to protect my laptop. It doesn't make any sense to me. But I can't make the switch to riding until I have the cash in hand to crash my bike and immediately ride up to an Apple store and buy a new one without worrying about not being able to afford the rest of my life. And I'm not there yet.

I drive enough every year that I could buy a new Madone or Tarmac every year by cutting down my driving, and it bugs the heck out of me.

If I got to the point where I was making enough money to think nothing of buying another $1800 laptop because I went down hard in traffic, I'd seriously consider switching to a road bike + motorcycle (really want to get into that……mostly because Thruxtons and Monsters just seems like a lot of fun……and no, neither would be a first bike…I'm not that stupid/crazy) and maybe do a zipcar or something for when I really needed to carry more stuff. Or just help pay for my girlfriend's car.

Last edited:

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Or, just keep not smoking! I've not smoked for a year, a month and a few weeks and I have saved $3,000. I idly read through some commuting discussions, some guys have some (pricey) hard panniers, one side for laptop, other for work clothes and whatnot. In this weather though, a shower available at work would be a must for me. I can wear nice jeans, but mostly business casual. Taking a spongebath in the sink kind of reeks of "homeless", even if your co-workers know you are not. My workplace has one, but I will never be bike commuting to work.

More on the toeclips? I kind of liked them. I know they're nothing compared to cleats 'n clipless. I didn't tighten them up very tight at all, and know they need to be to pull up correctly. I'm still too uncoordinated while biking to get the hang of it (thanks for the 11-3 tip, Skratch). I kind of like them for what is probably the wrong reasons. My bike was only used as a commuter, and it's platforms are worn down, they used to be (probably) pretty sharp. As a result, I am unsure and not very confident yet on keeping my feet placed properly on the pedals (ball of foot centered). My first several rides, I was aware of fiddling around with my feet too much. Some of this will get better with practice I know, or should perhaps get pedals that are "grippier".

I'm so uncoordinated, that if I say to my wife "Wow, look at that sunset", I practically crash. I'm working up to being able to point....:laugh:

Wolf308

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
NC
www.into-the-fog.com
I ride the American Tobacco Trail here in NC, but am looking to try some other trails soon. I'm the same... no climbing anything on a bike. I'm not in good enough condition for mountain biking (really bad knees) so I won't try that at this point. But I stopped riding in traffic some time back. I've had a few close calls, but the end of it for me was when a guy changed lanes on me and I was forced to jump a curb onto the sidewalk... only to have him jump the curb, too. I have no idea what that guy's problem was, but I ended up going down a slight hill into a ditch to get away from that crazy ..... I never rode busy streets, just a light traffic four lane road by my house and only well after rush hour traffic (which isn't even heavy here on this road). But I figure with everything on me being reflective and blinking lights all over the bike, someone still almost runs my .... down... I'll strap the bike to the back of my car and drive to a trail from here out. Besides, on the trails there is so much more to look at! Only problem is like the one I had yesterday... got caught in a pretty nice thunder storm. It felt great, but when I got back to my car I noticed my bike was completely covered in about three inches of grit from the trail. So it has to be washed off and relubed tomorrow. Which kind of stinks. I just got the bike new to me (it was dad's, but he never really used the bike, so he gave it to me in exchange for my bike. Mine was more suited for riding the neighborhood and his is an actual hybrid bike which is better suited to me).

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
I've gotten into a few car accidents, none being my fault. One being from someone cutting the guy off, an he swerved into my lane putting me on the shoulder, and continuing towards me until I was half on and off the shoulder and almost hitting a big sign... I swerved around that back to the shoulder because my tires were slipping on the wet grass and the guy being in the other lane already, but the dumb guy thought I rolled and was going to pull over while I was trying to get back onto pavement to get traction...

Point in my story... I don't trust other drivers. If any of those accidents happened while I was on my bike, I wouldn't be here.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Oh you use the same laptop at home and work? Can't you get a portable hard drive so you wouldn't have to carry a laptop around?

Kind of…not really. I'm a coder and an electronic musician. The coding I can do on almost anything. The electronic music stuff……won't run on Linux. And I can't live without a shell. The thought has crossed my mind to switch to a tiny netbook running linux and actually just use it for work/school and leave the real computer at home……except I hate doing music at home for some reason.

And I would never trust a hard drive of any kind on a bike. Normal vibrations for road tires at 115psi and an aluminum frame would destroy them. SSDs all the way.

I'm so uncoordinated, that if I say to my wife "Wow, look at that sunset", I practically crash. I'm working up to being able to point....:laugh:

That takes a while. Read up on target fixation. One of my friends–an otherwise good motorcycle rider–watched his bike slide down a mountain side after falling off because he was looking at a guard rail. He thought the rider in front of him was going to hit it and looked a bit too long at the spot he thought she was going to hit. He walked away, but it was a few days before they managed to get his bike out.

Funny story. Until I went mountain biking, the only times I've gone down since I was like 12 were at a dead stop. Anyone want to guess why?

I figure with everything on me being reflective and blinking lights all over the bike, someone still almost runs my .... down... I'll strap the bike to the back of my car and drive to a trail from here out.

I really can't blame you there. Atlanta drivers seem pretty good about avoiding bikes, but roads come with risk……and there's about 2000 pounds less inanimate stuff to absorb the impact on a bike.

got caught in a pretty nice thunder storm

I actually love riding in the rain. I've never done it on a trail, but on roads……bikes keep their traction better than any other vehicle because the contact patch is tiny and the tire pressures are so high. I saw an interesting paper at some point that concluded that a normal road bike would have to be going over 120mph to hydroplane as long as you're actually riding on asphalt (and not hitting sewer grates or sand).

It is a lot easier to get hypothermia in the rain……that's one thing you have to watch out for. I might have mentioned it when I said to get a jersey, but I got a mild case of hypothermia at like 95 degrees ambient temperature after a ride once.

That really sucked.
I don't trust other drivers. If any of those accidents happened while I was on my bike, I wouldn't be here.

The accidents wouldn't have been the same if you were on your bike. But I get where that comes from.

I really don't think I take unnecessary or reckless risks when I ride, but there are a lot of people I've ridden with that think things like 40mph descents and cornering at full speed in the rain are stupid.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
I don't find it stupid, most people take those risks because they know it's safe. And I feel that me being cations of the drivers are purely the location. My little town is surrounded by long commutes. Only option to ride is where people who want to drive fast free from most traffic. I've seen cyclists biking before and the traffic in front of me not giving them much room to work with, as of it were funny to push them off the road. Or to round a blind turn to find a cyclist. If I were to see that, and there was cars behind me, I'd approach them slower to give them more room away from the blind turn. Or if there wasn't any traffic, I'd get in front of the cyclist, on an incline and give them a car to follow so they can be in my "draft."

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Not to derail our bycycle theme here, mostapha, but I've been a music guy for a long time. I've been gigging in weekend bands (guitars/keyboards) for 40 years. I started sequencing in 1986 (shortly after MIDI was invented). I had racks of gear, and stacks of synths. Softsynths are obviously much easier, and in the context of a mix, are certainly 'good enough'. I've got some old analog monsters that I will never get rid of, but they'll never leave home.

I'm also a Linux guy. I erased my last FAT32 partition in 1999, and haven't used Winderrs since. I tweak a custom version of Ubuntu for my work, have 179 (otherwise) junker boxes still being useful.

For multitracking in Linux, Ardour is about as good as it gets. Ardour is excellent in multitracking, just beginning in sequencing. Rosegarden is the best sequencer, but audo is relatively new. I haven't been sequencing much in the last few/several years, been just doing audio.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
@luv, that's cool. I get it. Part of it-and this is going to sound weird-is that I ride in the middle of Atlanta. People have better things to do with their time than hassle cyclists, and I really think that on average Atlanta has pretty good drivers.

An ex-girlfriend's father used to ride like 30 miles south of the city in what's considered an upscale and "safe" suburb. He used to come home from his afternoon rides burned and bloody on occasion because people would throw cigarette buts and freaking batteries at him.

IMHO:
Cities. Good.
Trails (off road or paved over train tracks). Good.
Suburbs. Nope.

@nano yeah…I've used both and I just don't like them. I use Maschine for sequencing (maybe not after the MPC renaissance actually ships) and Pro Tools for recording. It's really not worth switching to me. I like what I'm using.

What kind of music do you make?

Wolf308

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
NC
www.into-the-fog.com
I really can't blame you there. Atlanta drivers seem pretty good about avoiding bikes, but roads come with risk……and there's about 2000 pounds less inanimate stuff to absorb the impact on a bike.

I actually love riding in the rain. I've never done it on a trail, but on roads……bikes keep their traction better than any other vehicle because the contact patch is tiny and the tire pressures are so high. I saw an interesting paper at some point that concluded that a normal road bike would have to be going over 120mph to hydroplane as long as you're actually riding on asphalt (and not hitting sewer grates or sand).

It is a lot easier to get hypothermia in the rain……that's one thing you have to watch out for. I might have mentioned it when I said to get a jersey, but I got a mild case of hypothermia at like 95 degrees ambient temperature after a ride once.

That really sucked.

I blame a lot of the cyclists around here, I really do. We have several cycling clubs in the area, and those groups are very large and very inconsiderate to cars. I've gotten caught behind them before. We have one that the city actually had to fine because they LOVED getting a group of about 30 to 50 bikes together and then cycling in a cluster down the main road of the area right during evening rush hour traffic. There was no need for that, especially when there were bike trails right in the area. I am shocked none of them was injured or killed. But that kind of thing is common around here. And while I don't think it gives car drivers a reason to injure or kill a cyclist, I understand the pent up frustration from getting stuck behind these groups while trying to get home after a long day - especially on Friday evening - and the cyclists won't give an inch. I do my best to stay out of the way, and a lot of the cyclists do. But these groups that go out of their way to inconvenience everyone really destroy the calm for everyone.

I love riding in the rain, too, and that one was actually really refreshing. But I am afraid the American Tobacco Trail is mostly gravel and sort of a sand, so it isn't not the easiest thing to ride on wet. And apparently it works wonders on a bike. My bike is out of commission until at least a week from Monday. I'm going into my long week at work, so that's alright, but man. It really messed up the gears and the rear rim.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
I don't think it's all that inconsiderate, just reminding people cyclists have the right to use the same road as others, and it's not very practical to have everyone in a line. People would have to drive ON the line for a long time instead of a clustered group. Unless, being an annoyance is their goal, then I don't agree with that. I usually see that when there's a fundraiser or for something sad like a cyclist getting ran over by a driver. It's a way of showing the area that there are others to share the road with... To be honest, before I started riding, I'd be one of those guys who would still keep a distance, but yell out of my window and scare them. "ahhhhhh! Muahahaha!"

But in San Jose, CA. There are San Jose bike parties, haven't attended one yet, but from what I heard it's not during traffic times and it's a set route... Some people dress up in weird costumes and some people just ride, drink and smoke (cigs and "medical" .........).

Last edited:

Wolf308

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
NC
www.into-the-fog.com
I don't see it as right at all. It's a constant thing here, and they do choose the busiest routes during rush hour traffic with large groups of people on bikes and take up most of the road so the drivers can't get by. Yes, there are others sharing the roads, but that isn't the time or place to make a statement, especially when the cyclists aren't sharing the road, either. And the drivers don't have much choice as to what roads they can take to get home around here. It doesn't do much but irk the drivers who, in turn, go out of their way to make life difficult for cyclists. We have plenty of commuters on bikes around here and they don't get in anyone's way or cause any grief, and those people are riding up roads right from the areas everyone else is coming from. The only beef I have, even as a cyclist, is large groups on major roads during rush hour. It isn't necessary and it isn't doing their cause or any of their fellow cyclists any good. Share the road goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread