Status
Not open for further replies.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
How bad/long were the climbs? I've gone up "hills" that were basically vertical, but they weren't very tall. Pop the front up and "jump" half way up it, spin a low gear like mad for when the rear wheel hits it, and it works. I've gone up 5-foot "jumps" like that, but I can't imagine doing a serious road climb with a suspension.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
There was one section where it was rocky, wished I saw someone biking that part so I can try it myself... But the whole hike was a few miles, I can't say if the inclines were crazy or not or for how long... I just know, I'd like to learn how to bike up AND down that mountain. Everyone I know who climbed it just walked. How awesome would it be to take a picture with a bike while vaping! Here's a link to my tracking app, let me know if it works.

http://runkeeper.com/user/LuV2SkRaTcH/activity/112883628

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
It was pretty warm again in Midwest USA last night, I tried another test ride, a first run with tent/sleeping bag, just to see how hauling that went. I have never hauled anything on a bike.

It was 97 degrees and kind of windy, so I took the weight out of the panniers. I put empty milk jugs in them, to sort of give the same area for wind load. The tent is a 5-pound lightweight 2.5 person (or two adults and a double amputee!), the sleeping bag is a regular one, not particularly lightweight at all. The two together were perhaps 10 or 12 pounds.

Two bungee cords worked well, should have had them a little tighter. Tipping the bike over further than usual to dismount, I kicked the tent and it slid over a little. It felt a little top-heavy when going very slow, but with weight in the panniers down by the axle, it should stabilize more.

Untitled.jpg

We rode 15 miles for a test, no real problems, but I could feel the wind. As with the weighted panniers, running one gear lower made it pretty easy. We averaged only about 9.5 mph, but if we can maintain that, everything should work out OK. Much of the Katy Trail runs along the Missouri River, where Lewis and Clark did their first trip. There's Lewis and Clark stuff around everywhere.

IMG-20120827-00381.jpg

There's a "Lewis and Clark Cave" along the trail where they wrote about spending the night. In the picture below, it's the black spot to the upper right. It's about 20 feet above the trail, but those roots look like a ladder to me. I haven't been up there yet, but will someday.

IMG-20120815-00349.jpg

We're probably still a few weeks away from trying it, hopefully it will cool off by then.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Nice. Please report back when you do.

A while ago, one of my Fraternity Brothers (from another chapter) started out on a North American tour. He was riding from Atlanta to somewhere in central Mexico, then shipping his bike home and continuing on bus/foot through the mountains.

His dad kinda made fun of him for doing it on a mountain bike instead of a road bike……and then remembered when he did basically the same ride/tour his last summer of college he had something like 35 flats over the course of the trip. I believe his son had like 8.

IDK why I just remembered that. Something about the pictures of all the stuff on the bike. (BTW, his was even more ridiculous)

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
We're just trying to build up enough to do simple trail bicycle camping. I am still such a non-roadie, the prospect of actually traveling somewhere on a bike is incomprehensible. Yet, I have been reading up on actual touring, because many of the principles are the same.

"Credit-card touring" sounds easy, but expensive. You pack a couple of changes of clothes, take credit cards/cash and hit the road. You eat out every meal, stay in a motel/hotel every night. You can wash your clothes easily, and plug in your cellphone every night.

"Self-contained touring" sounds much harder, but inexpensive while traveling. You need a lot more gear (not cheap for good, lightweight stuff), camp and cook every night. You are living in the weather, as well as trying to find a place to camp/cook every night. Ideally you would have your ID/wallet/phone/camera /important stuff on a handlebar bag, that you can grab easily when you need to be away from the bike. It sounds scary every time you go into a store (you have to buy food often) or to the bathroom, wondering if your gear is still there when you get back.

"Group touring" sounds easier. You don't have to carry as much stuff, and have a support vehicle following the group along with your things. A downside is that you are expected to more or less stay with the group.

At this point we are just hoping we can load enough junk on two bikes to straggle on down the trail, spend the night, and make it back home. A big plus? We have friends that live in the area, in case we have seriously over-extended ourselves. (PHONE CALL: "Eddie? Can you bring your truck down?")

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Cool.

But, stone mountain trail was the source of the "fail ride" of a couple summers ago.

Several flat tires (due to unavoidable road conditions).
Thrown chains.
And a mild case of hypothermia.

Yeah…I'm not anxious to do that again.

The hypothermia happed at like 90 degrees outside. The humidity was 100% and with riding on a hot day and drinking a lot of fluids, when we stopped…my body temperature dropped to like 94 degrees according to the disposable thermometer we borrowed from a nice hiker. I think it was a combination of starting & stopping so much and having to wait for a ride back……I still think that was the right decision rather than risk that road path when we were out of supplies to fix flats……and after I realized what was happening, I was fine (riding laps to keep my body temperature up, eating cliff bars, and waiting for a ride & a heated blanket)……but it was still terrifying.

If they're running those things more often now, that trail is probably in much better shape. But if it's like it was then, I'd drop. They're just so badly maintained that they're not worth riding unless you've got a curling team right in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread