Temperatures??

Status
Not open for further replies.

q258

Apr 24, 2009
I have been looking through the various threads here, and I have a question that I can not find the answers to.

Does anyone know what temperature that the liquid actual vaporizers at?

By no scientific means (yet) I'm estimating somewhere around 120C within this scope. But that's really more a best-guess at the moment for whatever it's worth.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
By no scientific means (yet) I'm estimating somewhere around 120C within this scope. But that's really more a best-guess at the moment for whatever it's worth.

That's close; proly needs around 150C to work efficiently. This might produce some fractional distillation effects though; a temp controlled coil might need to be set quite a bit higher to work properly.

However, when dry the coil will reach red-hot after a couple of seconds: circa 450C.

Last edited:

ichaya

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
That's close; proly needs around 150C to work efficiently. This might produce some fractional distillation effects though; a temp controlled coil might need to be set quite a bit higher to work properly.

However, when dry the coil will reach red-hot after a couple of seconds: circa 450C.

I was wondering because it seems to me that basically all you need is a way to heat the liquid to the vaporization point, and then a way to inhale the vapor.

Now that is at it's most basic, and taking out all questions of portability.

So a temp controlled vessel, a valve, and pipe (think hookah for a second), and you could built a non-portable home unit that would hold enough to vap all day.

Possible hot plate with a rheostat control.
Glass, or safe metal container, not 100% air tight.

Connection to a hose with a valve on it, and you have a home-made cooker.

q258

Apr 24, 2009
Wow, just tried that ichaya.... I'm still coughing. Harsh, very harsh, but huge vape. Course, maybe the resin in the pipe had something to do with it. So, I dripped on an analog and got flames, but no additional vapor. Maybe... nah, I think I'll hold onto my last brain cell.

Nice workbench. Nice video.

If you have a disassembled atomizer try this: take the metal foam and put some in the pipe then lay another screen on top (just to hold it in, not needed for a quick experiment). Drip a few drops of liquid on it, with the flame about 5mm out, draw it slightly toward the pipe just enough to pull the heat toward it but not actually touch the screen, take a real gentle inhale.

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Just look up boiling points for the contents of your juice. Ive seen values from 180 C to 220 C for PG and 275 C for nicotine boiling points.

On this forum i want to say that i saw a post stating that the nichrome wire heats to 300 C.

boilingptproplyeneglyco.gif

http://www.lyondellbasell.com/techlit/techlit/2519.pdf

Nicotine has a boiling point of 476°F (247°C).
Nicotine | World of Chemistry Summary

As shown by the physical data, free base nicotine will burn at a temperature below its boiling point, and its vapors will combust at 308 K (35 °C; 95 °F) in air despite a low vapor pressure. Because of this, most of the nicotine is burned when a cigarette is smoked; however, enough is inhaled to provide the desired effects.
nicotine: Definition from Answers.com

NiCr wire has a melting point of 1400°C. I've melted several.

Indeed, once diluted, the BP is considerably reduced; however, some fractional distillation is inevitable.

The difference between wet ('normal') temp and dry temp can be very significant, rising from 120C to 500C or more. The resistance change in the nichrome is about 4%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread