Tesla Nano vs. Wismec Predator 228

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Hi All,

So now I’m looking to get my second mod after my first week of vaping. Two main reasons;

1) something relatively sturdy for work that is not so expensive that I’ll be peeved if it drops/breaks.

2) topping it off with an RTA so it’s not so dependent on the pre-made coils, have done a heap of reading about the concept and I freaking love it.

So with that in mind I have opted for a GeekVape Zeus 4mL to cover the RTA requirement which leaves me with the mod.

Before I go into my selection I’m still getting my bearings as to which brand is which as far as build quality, etc. vaping at work is a purely practical affair - not interested in cloud chasing or anything fancy, just hit it and Nic it. The other point is that when I refer to things like resilience, I don’t expect to be dropping it on a regular basis, but for some mods (was reading a review on the predator) might have a design flaw here and there and that’s something that if other people have had then I’d prefer to avoid having that. Not to mention I’m getting scratches at the like on my Revenger.

So with that in mind - two mods I’ve come across that fit the bill;

1) predator wismec 228

Why I considered it: guy at work has one, I like the concept and design, he’s had it for a while with no problems and I’ve seen him use a dripper tip so I believe it will work with the RTA. There is also a sale on at a local (Australian supplier) where the mod itself is almost half price so absolutely $44.95.

It also takes the same batteries as my Revenger X so I don’t have to get a whole stack of new cells to have at least a 2-cycle hot swap of batteries.

2) Tesla Nano 120

Why I considered it:

Aesthetics; steampunk appeals to my appreciation of mechanical movements and aesthetics (don’t get me started on the Omega Speedmaster Professional Cal. 861). Price wise it’s what I expect, $80 average here in Australia. Beyond that it has had a few good reviews, nothing about it that stands out as a huge difference from many other regulated mods out there.

GeekVape Zeus

Why I’m getting it (it’s already decided):

brilliant looking piece, the lines look amazing on it and the concept of the airflow appears to be relatively novel and make sense. I have wanted to make my own coils eventually (may as well start now), mostly because my goal is to have less of a reliance on suppliers where possible (suppliers run out of GT coils, this phenomenon I’ve been seeing in Australian online stores where many, MANY items like mods or tanks are out of stock - not sure if a new batch is coming in or what but either way it’s a pain).

So the question is whether I get the wismec or Tesla - has anyone used them before? Would they use it again?!

Reactions: stols001

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I have owned both and liked the Tesla much better. More durable and the screen is brighter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for that - as far as versatility goes does it have potential or would you say it’s more applicable to my work situation (I.e. no playing around....just vape)??

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
The Tesla is all metal where the Predator isn't. The Tesla i s very durable, has a great menu system and doesn't have the 510 issues or the TC jumping into Wattage mode. The Tesla uses the same 18650 cells as the Revenger.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
The Tesla is all metal where the Predator isn't. The Tesla i s very durable, has a great menu system and doesn't have the 510 issues or the TC jumping into Wattage mode. The Tesla uses the same 18650 cells as the Revenger.

Tesla it is.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Good choice, I love my Nano 120 and it has been through the wringer with me... Leaking (from early attempts at RTAs) droppage, all kinds of things. The power conversion board is amazing, it looks fantastic and (IMO) it gives my DNA mods a run for their money. Does decent TC as well.

One thing I will mention is on some battery doors, it's easy for the batteries to come loose from the door, although I think that is really with earlier models. I have one where the door is quite loose (my beater steampunk) and I got a black silicone sleeve that helped a great deal and was also a cushion for drops. I will say that once I started using larger, heavier mods on top, the battery problem was solved, for the most part. I think it may have had something to do with it pressing harder on the 510 pin than say, a Nautilus 2, and that pressure caused the battery door to stay put easier. I left the sleeve on anyway (mainly for drops) and some models don't have the issue at all. My copper one does, my silver one doesn't (which I bought further down the line). So you may not run into the problem at all, but if you do, you can get a silicone sleeve that will keep things snug cheaply on Amazon.

I don't own a Wismec mod, but the steampunk nano is one of my favorite vapes. It's fairly heavy, but not insanely heavy, and it is a total workhorse and can go through quite a lot and just keep on going. The positives far outweigh the (possibly but at this point not so likely) battery door issue, in my opinion. Most folks have found a fix, one of the more ingenious ones I know about was coating the outer seals of the battery door with a coat of clear nail polish to help it latch.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy it greatly!

Anna

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
@stols001 - thanks for your reply, based on your appraisal, and @Tonee N the Tesla is more in line with my requirements.

@suprtrkr - I like the Predator hands down, and it will probably be the one I want to get afterwards, and another RTA attachment or even an RDA for home.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Hi, I recently bought a copper Tesla Nano 120, so after having it for a couple months my thoughts are its seems to be a good mod with excellent battery life between charges, luv the look, and the menu seems to be easy to work which is a big plus for me.
Would I recommend it? No, as be aware of a huge flaw in the design. I have a copper one and the door design is a pain in the .... with the battery door opening and dropping the batterys is a huge failure in design.
Since I don't have any nail polish, ha ha, have put two rubber bands around the mod and this keeps the batterys from falling out but the door catch still releases but at least the batterys don't fall out and possibly get damaged falling out and hitting hard surfaces.
Needless to say it spoils the look of the mod and covering the great design with a sleeve would negate the look also.
I just use this mod indoors use my Pico resin when outdoors or driving.
Would I buy this mod again? No, because of the door issue. I'm not bummed out that I bought it since other then the battery door issue it seems to be a great mod and will probably last longer than my pico.
I had a false hope they would have fixed the door issue by now but no such luck.
Others have posted that the other colours don't have this problem so maybe if you stay away from the copper you will be alright.
Also it's a heavy mod for pocket carry which may be an issue or not for you depending on your daily activity.

• Agree

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Hi, I recently bought a copper Tesla Nano 120, so after having it for a couple months my thoughts are its seems to be a good mod with excellent battery life between charges, luv the look, and the menu seems to be easy to work which is a big plus for me.
Would I recommend it? No, as be aware of a huge flaw in the design. I have a copper one and the door design is a pain in the .... with the battery door opening and dropping the batterys is a huge failure in design.
Since I don't have any nail polish, ha ha, have put two rubber bands around the mod and this keeps the batterys from falling out but the door catch still releases but at least the batterys don't fall out and possibly get damaged falling out and hitting hard surfaces.
Needless to say it spoils the look of the mod and covering the great design with a sleeve would negate the look also.
I just use this mod indoors use my Pico resin when outdoors or driving.
Would I buy this mod again? No, because of the door issue. I'm not bummed out that I bought it since other then the battery door issue it seems to be a great mod and will probably last longer than my pico.
I had a false hope they would have fixed the door issue by now but no such luck.
Others have posted that the other colours don't have this problem so maybe if you stay away from the copper you will be alright.
Also it's a heavy mod for pocket carry which may be an issue or not for you depending on your daily activity.

Interesting, are you aware of this happening to the Predator?

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
You could get the nano on Alibaba for about $30 US as for the Wismec worlds worst service .Try this pretend you have a problem with the Wismec write them a letter see if they respond I guarantee they will not

Given the cost of the mod ($50) if their service is terrible I’ll ensure I never buy from them again. Plus if it only lasts 2 months it’s still paid for itself. From a rational perspective I’m not buying top-end gear so my expectations are low.

• Optimistic

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
The screen on my 1 year old Alien is just now acting wonky, still works but I'm not seeing it go much further, not bad for 29,000 puffs and the paint still looks new thanks to the cheetah skin I put on it on day 1.

That’s the unit that’s similar to the Wismec yet?

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
That’s the unit that’s similar to the Wismec yet?
Yes, side firebar.
4c23e28cab2b7c5cfdabc05cb58b9b75.jpg

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Yes, side firebar.
4c23e28cab2b7c5cfdabc05cb58b9b75.jpg

It’s the biggest pain in the ... here at the moment, going to numerous suppliers in Australia and they’re sold out of nearly every good mod. I need to find a place overseas....or potentially AliBaba. Because it’s beyond a joke....even wire is becoming a scarcity. And eBay isn’t much better. No price difference, shipping from China with no tracking and 2 month delays.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
It’s the biggest pain in the ... here at the moment, going to numerous suppliers in Australia and they’re sold out of nearly every good mod. I need to find a place overseas....or potentially AliBaba. Because it’s beyond a joke....even wire is becoming a scarcity. And eBay isn’t much better. No price difference, shipping from China with no tracking and 2 month delays.
I have heard 'Strailia is a hard place to find items. Can you order out of Canada?

I have had packages that normally take 15 days turn into 38 days and the tracking showed the package left LA Customs then disappeared for 17 days.
I even contacted the US Postmaster General to ask them where the truck was.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I have heard 'Strailia is a hard place to find items. Can you order out of Canada?

I have had packages that normally take 15 days turn into 38 days and the tracking showed the package left LA Customs then disappeared for 17 days.

At least the postal service has problem regardless.

• Agree

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU

If I can find a good supplier in Canada or the states it will be fine. At the moment I just need to get the next mod so I have a rotation. Not to mention having the ability to switch flavours on a dime.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread