Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
People in the medical field are some of the hardest hit by the zero tolerance to nic. Do you want them operating on you? I know, it's a rhetorical question to you specifically, was meant for others.
Nicotine improves concentration and attention.

I would rather have someone operate on me that WAS using nicotine.
Next time I need an operation perhaps I will insist on that.
:laugh:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Nicotine improves concentration and attention.

I would rather have someone operate on me that WAS using nicotine.
Next time I need an operation perhaps I will insist on that.
:laugh:

Or - I would rather not have someone going through quit smoking withdrawal operating on me - as we all know what a hot mess that can turn someone into. (Now how would I know that?)

This is about social engineering and we all know that always works out so very well in the end. Only looking out for our best interests and all that jazz.

Social+Engineering.jpg

And Trump is not a politician - you just keep believing that - because he just keeps saying that. Usually twice at a time. See whatcha get.

ErikaN

May 26, 2016
This is all for preemployment as most Michigan hospitals are going nicotine free, which I was not aware of.

I'm an ER travel RN going home to visit family as a best friend of mines Mom is dying of Cancer

In any event, I decided to be a cranky ditzy nurse this weekend with no patch or even vape so I can pass this ridiculous piss test

I do love wearing a patch at work because as some people have noted, yes it indeed helps with concentration

ErikaN

May 26, 2016
Not all of them. A couple years back there are posts from some members who challenged the "pee in a cup" penalty for vaping - which is why I asked. They presented a full-on attack of the policies, producing receipts for vaping gear that showed how long they had been using it, letters of support/approval from their MD's etc. Since they were going to get pee-nalized with higher insurance premiums for being labeled a smoker there was no reason to not challenge the policy. A least a couple of them got the penalty reversed since they had the receipts - literally - to show how long they had been an ex-smoker thanks to vaping.

Short version: There are actually some more enlightened insurance plans out there.

I wish it was even just insurance rates! If it's positive the job offer is rescinded!

ErikaN

May 26, 2016
Could always show them this: NHS trust lifts vaping ban on hospital grounds

Who knows? You might be the one that gets the ball rolling to where the hospital allows vaping!

That's great! But I know it's gonna take way more than that here in the US, years probably! The insurance companies run the hospitals and I'm sure they are getting $$$$ for this no nicotine policy! But rest assured, they do not stop the patient from going out to smoke!

Reactions: beckdg

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
That's great! But I know it's gonna take way more than that here in the US, years probably! The insurance companies run the hospitals and I'm sure they are getting $$$$ for this no nicotine policy! But rest assured, they do not stop the patient from going out to smoke!
They certainly wouldn't let me out to smoke! I spent three days in ICU two and a half years ago, no vaping, no smoking, just the patch and suck it up!

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I am drawn to these "workplace injustice" threads like a moth to a flame, probably because my working life spanned a little over 4 decades. From a time when employers had genuine concern and empathy for their workforce, to the era of all-powerful HR departments and increasingly invasive and mean-spirited personnel policies ... :(

Forty years ago, I worked briefly for a manufacturer in Portland OR that closed for two weeks every summer, for a company-subsidized all-hands vacation trip, different destinations every year. Almost everyone signed up, they liked each other (and management) that much ... :thumb:

Oh, and my drafting table had a built-in ashtray ... :D

Not gloating (really), but I am SO grateful to be retired now ... :rolleyes:

ErikaN

May 26, 2016
I am drawn to these "workplace injustice" threads like a moth to a flame, probably because my working life spanned a little over 4 decades. From a time when employers had genuine concern and empathy for their workforce, to the era of all-powerful HR departments and increasingly invasive and mean-spirited personnel policies ... :(

Forty years ago, I worked briefly for a manufacturer in Portland OR that closed for two weeks every summer, for a company-subsidized all-hands vacation trip, different destinations every year. Almost everyone signed up, they liked each other (and management) that much ... :thumb:

Oh, and my drafting table had a built-in ashtray ... :D

Not gloating (really), but I am SO grateful to be retired now ... :rolleyes:

Times have changed like no one could have imagined huh?? Its sad.......I have felt like a criminal the past 7 days trying to pass a drug screen when I dont do drugs! :confused:

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
As time goes on, I think insurance companies should have to prove that vapers are costing them anymore than non-smokers. I imagine that some non-smokers are running to the doctor's when they get bad colds and getting prescriptions filled afterwards. Meanwhile, vapers are sitting at home not utilizing the healthcare system because they didn't get the cold in the first place. Many asthmatics who vape are getting their required prescriptions reduced!

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
They certainly wouldn't let me out to smoke! I spent three days in ICU two and a half years ago, no vaping, no smoking, just the patch and suck it up!
:D

They tried to stop me before.

Several attempts.

I left lights blinking, alarms buzzing and brought my intravenous pole and bag right down the elevator and out the door.

Dragged security in tow along the way.

After a few days security refused to respond.

After about a week, they finally said I was in no condition to be doing that, put me in my own room and told me to use the exhaust fan in my bathroom. "But don't get caught by the doctor."

Yeah. Right. What's he going to do? Stop me?

Tapatyped

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
As time goes on, I think insurance companies should have to prove that vapers are costing them anymore than non-smokers. I imagine that some non-smokers are running to the doctor's when they get bad colds and getting prescriptions filled afterwards. Meanwhile, vapers are sitting at home not utilizing the healthcare system because they didn't get the cold in the first place. Many asthmatics who vape are getting their required prescriptions reduced!

When traveling across our beauteous political landscape - don't get lost in the shoulds.

Remember what happened in Prohibition when a certain portion of the populace said no one should drink either. Some times the insanity has to go full swing in both directions to land in a more reasonable middle ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread