Texas Call to Action: Take Action to Oppose SB 706 which would classify e-liquid as a "hazardous substance" under the Texas Health and Safety Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Activities for this Call to Action:

1. Send an Email
  2. Call the Bill’s Sponsor, Sen. Sylvia Garcia and ask that SB 706 be withdrawn
    • (512) 463-0106
  3. Attend the hearing (1:00 p.m. Monday, April 6, 2015)

Summary:

SB 706 would include “a liquid substance” used to refill an e-cigarette in the state’s Health and Safety Code as a “hazardous substance.” This would apply to all e-liquid regardless of nicotine content. Although this would be a means to requiring bottled e-liquid to be sold in child-resistant packaging (which CASAA is supportive of as long as it is tied to a federal standard), there are several other sections of the code that would likely limit consumer access to vapor products including

• Labeling requirements
  • Granting rule-making authority to an unelected Board of Health
  • Registration requirements for manufacturers, importers, wholesalers, and some retailers

Take Action:

1. Please take action NOW by sending a message to your senator urging him or her to oppose this bill.

(If you live in a district represented by one of the committee members, you will receive a separate alert prompting you to take action. It is vitally important that you participate as lawmakers consider the views of their constituents with more weight.)

2. Please reach out to the bill’s sponsor and politely request that SB 706 be withdrawn:

• Senator Sylvia Garcia (District 6)
    • Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0106
    • District Phone: (713) 923-7575

3. SB 706 will be heard in the Senate Health & Human Services Committee:

Monday, April 6th
1:00 PM
Senate Chamber
2nd floor of East Wing of the Capitol
1100 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701

Please make plans to attend this hearing. Public testimony will be limited to 3 minutes. If submitting written testimony, please provide 20 copies with your name on each. Even if you do not intend to testify, your presence is important as it shows the large number of people impacted by, and engaged in, this issue.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Texas Call to Action: Take Action to Oppose SB 706 which would classify e-liquid as a "hazardous substance" under the Texas Health and Safety Code.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Hiya Deb! Julie, I just finished sending off my thoughts in the CASAA email. After a few thoughts, I added this to my email to them.

This is Texas for goodness sakes, not CALIFORNIA or NY. Texas has always been known for liberty and freedom. Frankly this anti vaping thing puts us at the top of the states with less freedom, much to my dismay.

sisu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2014
Texas
I'm from Texas. I just sent out emails to tx reps. Please help us! What else can we do? Is there any way we can do more?

Contact Sylvia Garcia's office first thing Monday morning.
Austin (512) 463-0106
Houston (713) 923-7575

She also uses twitter.
Contact Sylvia Garcia - Texas Senate District 6

From the CASSA page:
Please take action NOW by calling your senator -- a member of the HHS Committee -- urging them to oppose this bill.

Contact (it is at the bottom of the CASSA Thanks for taking action email):
Carlos Uresti (NP-TX), Charles Perry (NP-TX), Charles Schwertner (NP-TX), Sen. Charles Schwertner (R-TX), Craig Estes (NP-TX), Donna Campbell (NP-TX), José R. RodrÃ.guez (NP-TX), Judith Zaffirini (NP-TX), Lois W. Kolkhorst (NP-TX), Van Taylor (NP-TX).

sisu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2014
Texas
I responded to the previous Call to Action as well as this one. I state that I am a 66 year old native Texan. The age is included to get across that we are all not a bunch of hipster cloud chasers which in Austin may be all they see. The native Texan part is true. I hope it conveys a long term stake, interest and knowledge of state history and politics. I tell about being a 50 year smoker who transitioned from the addiction with vaping. Then, ask that they please allow the federal government to regulate vaping so that there will be one set of rules and to please not destroy what has been accomplished.

Perhaps I shouldn't do it, but I add "I vape and I vote" at the end. My intent is for them to take the contact seriously. Politicians know old folks vote in droves.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
A suggestion (not a criticism - I appreciate anything done on behalf of vaper's rights!)

Please consider altering the thread title a bit when posting to two different forums - I kinda freaked out when I stumbled onto this one after posting a detailed reply to the first one I found (in Legislation news) - it took me a few seconds to realize there were 2 threads with the same title.

I guess the double coverage is good (more nets catch more fish?), but with the same title, anyone trying to keep up with it might make the mistake of thinking they've read all the latest on ECF about the subject, and skip right past the other thread.

A simple one or two word preface on one or the other would have immediately told me they were 2 different threads (and saved me the brief moment of wondering why my post was deleted).

Either way, thank you for keeping us posted on proposed legislation that affects us!!

DrCupCake81

Nov 4, 2012
Texas
I responded to the previous Call to Action as well as this one. I state that I am a 66 year old native Texan. The age is included to get across that we are all not a bunch of hipster cloud chasers which in Austin may be all they see. The native Texan part is true. I hope it conveys a long term stake, interest and knowledge of state history and politics. I tell about being a 50 year smoker who transitioned from the addiction with vaping. Then, ask that they please allow the federal government to regulate vaping so that there will be one set of rules and to please not destroy what has been accomplished.

Perhaps I shouldn't do it, but I add "I vape and I vote" at the end. My intent is for them to take the contact seriously. Politicians know old folks vote in droves.

I think what you added at the end was awesome. This country is still a republic and politicians need to be reminded that frequently.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas

Good for you for taking the time to send a comment,but I really don"t want the Feds to make the rules as they are proposing on e-cigs. They are the ones causing the States to pass these horrible laws---with their horrible truth distortions.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Good for you for taking the time to send a comment,but I really don"t want the Feds to make the rules as they are proposing on e-cigs. They are the ones causing the States to pass these horrible laws---with their horrible truth distortions.

Leaving aside the issue of the FDA's wretchedly bad proposed regulations, we do recognize that there is a level of federal regulation that could be genuinely good for consumers. For example, federal-level laws on child-resistant standards would be a good thing, (1) providing enhanced safety, and (2) allow for products to freely cross state lines (preserving consumer access to a wide variety of products). This can be accomplished at the federal level by Congress (and not FDA).

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I don't want a child proof cap, because I have arthritis. But I would fully support it for anyone who has small children in their family. (or if small children come to visit)

I have mild arthritis as well, making child-resistant caps not that great to use, and since I am well past the point of having young children in my house, I'd prefer not to have them ("them" being the caps, not the kids ;) ).

Having said that, I do think that the standard should be child-resistant packaging, and for those of us who prefer not to have it, ideally, we should have the opportunity to order an extra cap (that is not child-resistant) to replace it at home. But failing that, I'm willing to repackage it at home in a non-resistant container.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread