TFA Detailed Flavor Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
Hey all, being new to diy I decided to purchase several flavors from The Flavor Apprentice via Wizard Labs. I didn't know what to get so i randomly got what sounded good as I couldn't really find any detailed reviews on flavors in one place and as you know it is hard to decide on what to get if you have never tried it before.
I recently came across a thread on this board where one person tested their flavors by putting a drop in a 5ml container of vodka and swishing it around, so this got me to thinking. I don't drink alcohol, so I decided to use water instead. I didn't want to go through the process of vaping every flavor so this was an ideal solution to try and my findings were far different than what I expected them to be and it has given me a better understanding about the different flavor profiles and how the way something smells and tastes are completely different from each other. I compared vaping a single flavor and swishing it with water to be pretty accurate for the most part. However, different strengths will give you different results (all flavors were tested at 1%). Anyway, I wanted to share with you newbies out there what I have learned. I hope you find this review helpful and I hope it will help you decide on a few good flavors to try out.

I want to point out that everyone's taste buds are different. What I like, you may not. I have tried to be as transparent as possible with my findings. Also, some flavors are more concentrated than others so their flavor profiles will be more on the perfume side in my review since all were tested at the same 1% strength and those flavors should be used at a smaller percentage or mixed with other flavors. If you have given any other flavors a try and want to add to this feel free to post below. Be sure to copy this post with your additions so all reviews can be found in one post.

*smells are based on the concentrated version before dilution

TFA Banana (ripe)
Smell- Very strong, smell like banana runts with a perfumy note.
Taste-Very Strong and perfumy, but definitely has a nice banana flavor, slightly bitter sweet on exhale similar to the rind of a banana.
Finding- This would make a nice stand alone used at a lower percentage. It would need some steeping or airing out to get the perfumy taste to soften. Will go nicely with other fruit or cream flavors.

TFA Acetyl Pyrazine 5%
Smell- In full concentrate it smells like fritos, prediluted (6 drops to 6ml of pg) smells like a slightly salty nut bread.
Taste- Pie crusty, bready but also a little nutty has a bit of a peppery after feel in my mouth. Get a monkey bread sort of vibe without the sweetness on exhale.
Findings-Very strong at the 5% so it needs to be diluted before using in your recipes or it will over power everything! I see this going great with my bakery vapes.

TFA Black Honey Tobacco
Smell- Honestly? it smells a bit like cat pee. I wont lie it's not very pleasant.
Taste-Wow, tastes like honey, but with a floral note and it leaves a silky feel in my mouth.
Findings- There is no real tobacco taste I get with this unless you consider the floral note tobacco, but I do think this would go nicely with a fruit and cream, but not as the main flavor.

TFA Toasted Almond
Smell- Smells like almonds, with the dirt and shells LOL yes I said dirt
Taste- Very nutty, I don't taste dirt, but there is a nice earthy taste, not bad. It has a very nice nutty after taste on exhale
Findings-This is a very good flavor if you like almonds it is very close to the real deal. I think this would go good with just about anything.

TFA Bavarian Cream
Smell- Caramel, creamy and sweet
Taste- Tastes like a creamy vanilla there is a very faint bitter after taste but on exhale it is buttery and sweet
Findings- I really like this flavor, I have used it in many of my vanilla based recipes and it seems to help blend it all together.

TFA Raspberry (sweet)
Smell- Very sweet candy like fragrance I can definitely smell the raspberry
Taste- Very pleasant flavor, similiar to those hard raspberry candies with the soft center, slightly sour and sweet on exhale.Findings- This is a very nice flavor if you like sweet and sour give this a try

TFA Coconut Extra
Smell- Smells like a nutty cherry (similiar to a cheap almond extract you get at the store) very perfumy and strong.
Taste- Still very strong and perfumy but I can taste the nut flavor however it doesnt really taste like a true coconut there is a bitter aftertaste.
Findings- This is the coconut extra, which means it is ultra concentrated so I assume that is why I don't find this one pleasant at 1% although, I have used it in several of my recipes and it is a very nice flavor. Caution very little is needed or it will overpower everything else in your mix.

TFA DX Hazelnut
Smell-More nutty and rich than the Toasted Almond I can detect very faint coffee notes.
Taste- NOT the same as it smells, it is very chemical based and only slightly nutty, The toasted almond packs more of a nutty punch. However, on exhale I do detect more nutty goodness.
Findings-I have never had a real hazelnut before so I can not give an honest opinion on this one. Although, it does pair well with the Toasted Almond.

TFA Green Apple
Smell- Very Strong, has a perfume too it, but it definitely smells like a green jolly rancher candy.
Taste- Yuck, smells better than it tastes. To me it tastes like car freshener and on the exhale there is a sour after taste.
Findings- This is a very strong flavor. I believe in the right % this could be a winner even as a stand alone especially if you like sour.

TFA Dragon Fruit
Smell- Very Subtle fragrance almost a mix between a plum and a berry.
Taste- Very nice flavor, sweet and fruity with a bit of tartness.
Findings- I have never tried real dragon fruit, but if the real thing tastes this good then I want some.

TFA Watermelon
Smell-Smells like a very ripe, freshly opened watermelon a bit on the artificial side but not much.
Taste- It has a nice flavor. Reminds me of watermelon taffy without the taffy.
Findings- This is worth getting I believe it will go nicely with a candy or fruity vape mix.

TFA Blueberry Wild
Smell- Fragrance seems a bit weak but I can detect the blueberry
Taste- The flavor is much stronger than the fragrance it is a very pleasant taste and very close to real blueberries
Findings- This one has a nice flavor could be great stand alone at the right %

TFA Juicy Peach
Smell- Smells like a peach flavored caprisun drink
Taste- Ha! Tastes like it too. Very good! it is not chemically at all it's sweet, juicy and fruity. I can almost feel the peach fuzz.
Findings- What an excellent flavor, not what I was expecting at all. This will be great on it's own.

TFA Pomegranate Deluxe
Smell- VERY Sweet and sour, my face puckered just from taking a whiff
Taste- It is NOT as sweet as it smells, it is a bit more on the bitter side. I was thrown off by this one. However, it is not a bad flavor a bit perfumy but it has a very nice smooth finish on the exhale
Findings- Yet another fruit I have never actually had, but I would expect it to taste similar to this

TFA Caramel Original
Smell- strong buttery note, with a touch of burnt sugar
Taste- very creamy, buttery a bit of sweet, but more creamy and buttery tastes exactly like caramel. The best description would be like the hard caramel candies.
Findings- If you like caramel you are going to love this one.

TFA Caramel Candy
Smell- I detect a hint of a buttery note and it is slightly sweet, but it has a more artificial smell to it than the caramel original
Taste- This one has a very different flavor profile than the caramel original. I am getting a weird vitamin after taste on this one.
Findings-If you are looking for a true caramel flavor than this one is not for you go with the original. With that said you could mix the 2 together and see what you get.

TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato
Smell- Very chemically, not really perfumy hard to explain
Taste- This tastes like a very cheap vanilla extract and it has a peppery feel in my mouth with a slight bitter taste. However, on the exhale it has a nice vanilla flavor
Findings- This one is a bit odd. I do like it and I use it in a lot of my recipes but I tend to pair it with some vanillin and bavarian cream. I have not tried it as a stand alone because I personally do not think it would be very good. but it does add a kick when mixed with other cream or vanilla type flavors

TFA Strawberry Ripe
Smell- WOW! Smells JUST like ripe strawberries plucked from the vine. Note I am not an artifical strawberry lover, but this smells fantastic!
Taste- I am equally impressed by this flavor it really is a true strawberry flavor it is sweet fruity and a bit tart. Perfect Replica IMO
Findings- If you are not a fan of strawberry flavorings. PLEASE give this one a try. I try to be bias in my reviews but MAN this stuff is wonderful.

TFA RY4 Type
Smell- Smells Chemically not really like a caramel, vanilla tobacco
Taste- Tastes like it has a hint of mint? Koolada? not really sure I sort of get an earthy flavor. Best put I feel like I am tasting a pine forest.
Findings- I can't say that this is bad, but it is definitely not something for me personally. It is not what I was expecting at all in flavor and I really do not detect any tobacco notes

TFA Pie Crust
Smell- Smells like...Pie Crust, graham crackery, buttery flaky crust.
Taste- The flavor seems a bit subtle to me but it is pretty spot on there is a light touch of sweetness and a nice creamy not on exhale
Findings- I would use a bit more of this in my recipes. It is very good and if you plan on making any cobbler or pie vapes give this one a try

TFA Pear
Smell- Very strong and perfumy but it does smell like pears. Maybe a hint of spice?
Taste- OMG! I had to spit this one out. at first it was sort of a strong pear and then it rapidly started tasting like vomit! seriously, I just couldn't take it.
Findings- I believe the nasty flavor is because this is super strong. I have used it in a VERY small percentage in one of my vapes and I acutally enjoy it very much so please do not take the vomit flavor as is. When vaping in a very small amount mixed with other flavors it is quite good.

TFA vanillin 10%
Smell- Very faint vanilla scent
Taste- Do not let the faint smell fool you. This stuff is VERY strong and will burn your taste buds off if you are not careful. It has a slight vanilla flavor.
Findings- This is not really a flavor it is more of an additive like Koolada or Sour. Use at a very small percentage and it can add a kick to your vanilla blends and even round them out a bit.

TFA Mild Black
Smell-Smells good sort of a tobacco, but I get a touch of vanilla in there.
Taste- Tastes similar to a vanilla cigar. This one is pretty true to it's name and the closest to a tobacco flavor I have tried so far.
Findings- My husband uses this one as a stand alone and the house gets that sweet vanilla cigar you would expect from a black and mile without the smoke.

TFA Red Type
Smell-Smells good, I can smell a touch of menthol in this one
Taste- sorry, not loving this one. it tastes like a mix of house cleaner, menthol and pine
Findings- Most tobacco flavors I have tried have the pine flavor to them. I am not sure if this is common but if you like those flavors give this one a try.

TFA Turkish
Smell- very earthy it does have a pleasant tobacco fragrance, but there is a hint of a green hay smell to it
Taste- upon tasting it seems like a very nice simple vape tobacco, but on exhale all I get is hay. If that hay flavor was not there this would be great.
Findings- Not the best but better than some of the others I have personally tried

TFA Tobacco
Smell- Simply put Floral Perfume!
Taste- Unfortunately, this one tastes just like a flower. I feel like I am literally chewing on flower petals
Findings- some people personally enjoy floral vapes. If you do then please give this one a try you will like it.

TFA Cubano
Smell- Smells like Jalapenos or something with a very spicy kick. It burns my nose a bit and gives me the urge to sneeze
Taste- This is a spicy floral kind of flavor. This one is very hard to describe because I just can't describe it any better than a spicy floral.
Findings- again, if you are into spicy floral vapes you will really enjoy this, sadly this one is not for me.

Well, there you have it! all of my flavorings I have purchased so far and what I personally think about them. I hope this has been helpful for you with making your first diy flavor purchase. I know it has been for me and I now have a better understanding of how this whole DIY thing works. Now to use my new found knowledge and make something great :)

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Wow! Now that's a thread! Very nice! I just placed another big order with TFA. I was especially interested in the hazel nut review. I whipped up a Cracker Jack recipe that called for it. It does smell like chemicals :( but I was keeping a good thought while it steeped. Love to read these reviews.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Hey all, being new to diy I decided to purchase several flavors from The Flavor Apprentice via Wizard Labs. I didn't know what to get so i randomly got what sounded good as I couldn't really find any detailed reviews on flavors in one place and as you know it is hard to decide on what to get if you have never tried it before.
I recently came across a thread on this board where one person tested their flavors by putting a drop in a 5ml container of vodka and swishing it around, so this got me to thinking. I don't drink alcohol, so I decided to use water instead. I didn't want to go through the process of vaping every flavor so this was an ideal solution to try and my findings were far different than what I expected them to be and it has given me a better understanding about the different flavor profiles and how the way something smells and tastes are completely different from each other. I compared vaping a single flavor and swishing it with water to be pretty accurate for the most part. However, different strengths will give you different results (all flavors were tested at 1%). Anyway, I wanted to share with you newbies out there what I have learned. I hope you find this review helpful and I hope it will help you decide on a few good flavors to try out.

I want to point out that everyone's taste buds are different. What I like, you may not. I have tried to be as transparent as possible with my findings. Also, some flavors are more concentrated than others so their flavor profiles will be more on the perfume side in my review since all were tested at the same 1% strength and those flavors should be used at a smaller percentage or mixed with other flavors. If you have given any other flavors a try and want to add to this feel free to post below. Be sure to copy this post with your additions so all reviews can be found in one post.

*smells are based on the concentrated version before dilution

TFA Banana (ripe)
Smell- Very strong, smell like banana runts with a perfumy note.
Taste-Very Strong and perfumy, but definitely has a nice banana flavor, slightly bitter sweet on exhale similar to the rind of a banana.
Finding- This would make a nice stand alone used at a lower percentage. It would need some steeping or airing out to get the perfumy taste to soften. Will go nicely with other fruit or cream flavors.

TFA Acetyl Pyrazine 5%
Smell- In full concentrate it smells like fritos, prediluted (6 drops to 6ml of pg) smells like a slightly salty nut bread.
Taste- Pie crusty, bready but also a little nutty has a bit of a peppery after feel in my mouth. Get a monkey bread sort of vibe without the sweetness on exhale.
Findings-Very strong at the 5% so it needs to be diluted before using in your recipes or it will over power everything! I see this going great with my bakery vapes.

TFA Black Honey Tobacco
Smell- Honestly? it smells a bit like cat pee. I wont lie it's not very pleasant.
Taste-Wow, tastes like honey, but with a floral note and it leaves a silky feel in my mouth.
Findings- There is no real tobacco taste I get with this unless you consider the floral note tobacco, but I do think this would go nicely with a fruit and cream, but not as the main flavor.

TFA Toasted Almond
Smell- Smells like almonds, with the dirt and shells LOL yes I said dirt
Taste- Very nutty, I don't taste dirt, but there is a nice earthy taste, not bad. It has a very nice nutty after taste on exhale
Findings-This is a very good flavor if you like almonds it is very close to the real deal. I think this would go good with just about anything.

TFA Bavarian Cream
Smell- Caramel, creamy and sweet
Taste- Tastes like a creamy vanilla there is a very faint bitter after taste but on exhale it is buttery and sweet
Findings- I really like this flavor, I have used it in many of my vanilla based recipes and it seems to help blend it all together.

TFA Raspberry (sweet)
Smell- Very sweet candy like fragrance I can definitely smell the raspberry
Taste- Very pleasant flavor, similiar to those hard raspberry candies with the soft center, slightly sour and sweet on exhale.Findings- This is a very nice flavor if you like sweet and sour give this a try

TFA Coconut Extra
Smell- Smells like a nutty cherry (similiar to a cheap almond extract you get at the store) very perfumy and strong.
Taste- Still very strong and perfumy but I can taste the nut flavor however it doesnt really taste like a true coconut there is a bitter aftertaste.
Findings- This is the coconut extra, which means it is ultra concentrated so I assume that is why I don't find this one pleasant at 1% although, I have used it in several of my recipes and it is a very nice flavor. Caution very little is needed or it will overpower everything else in your mix.

TFA DX Hazelnut
Smell-More nutty and rich than the Toasted Almond I can detect very faint coffee notes.
Taste- NOT the same as it smells, it is very chemical based and only slightly nutty, The toasted almond packs more of a nutty punch. However, on exhale I do detect more nutty goodness.
Findings-I have never had a real hazelnut before so I can not give an honest opinion on this one. Although, it does pair well with the Toasted Almond.

TFA Green Apple
Smell- Very Strong, has a perfume too it, but it definitely smells like a green jolly rancher candy.
Taste- Yuck, smells better than it tastes. To me it tastes like car freshener and on the exhale there is a sour after taste.
Findings- This is a very strong flavor. I believe in the right % this could be a winner even as a stand alone especially if you like sour.

TFA Dragon Fruit
Smell- Very Subtle fragrance almost a mix between a plum and a berry.
Taste- Very nice flavor, sweet and fruity with a bit of tartness.
Findings- I have never tried real dragon fruit, but if the real thing tastes this good then I want some.

TFA Watermelon
Smell-Smells like a very ripe, freshly opened watermelon a bit on the artificial side but not much.
Taste- It has a nice flavor. Reminds me of watermelon taffy without the taffy.
Findings- This is worth getting I believe it will go nicely with a candy or fruity vape mix.

TFA Blueberry Wild
Smell- Fragrance seems a bit weak but I can detect the blueberry
Taste- The flavor is much stronger than the fragrance it is a very pleasant taste and very close to real blueberries
Findings- This one has a nice flavor could be great stand alone at the right %

TFA Juicy Peach
Smell- Smells like a peach flavored caprisun drink
Taste- Ha! Tastes like it too. Very good! it is not chemically at all it's sweet, juicy and fruity. I can almost feel the peach fuzz.
Findings- What an excellent flavor, not what I was expecting at all. This will be great on it's own.

TFA Pomegranate Deluxe
Smell- VERY Sweet and sour, my face puckered just from taking a whiff
Taste- It is NOT as sweet as it smells, it is a bit more on the bitter side. I was thrown off by this one. However, it is not a bad flavor a bit perfumy but it has a very nice smooth finish on the exhale
Findings- Yet another fruit I have never actually had, but I would expect it to taste similar to this

TFA Caramel Original
Smell- strong buttery note, with a touch of burnt sugar
Taste- very creamy, buttery a bit of sweet, but more creamy and buttery tastes exactly like caramel. The best description would be like the hard caramel candies.
Findings- If you like caramel you are going to love this one.

TFA Caramel Candy
Smell- I detect a hint of a buttery note and it is slightly sweet, but it has a more artificial smell to it than the caramel original
Taste- This one has a very different flavor profile than the caramel original. I am getting a weird vitamin after taste on this one.
Findings-If you are looking for a true caramel flavor than this one is not for you go with the original. With that said you could mix the 2 together and see what you get.

TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato
Smell- Very chemically, not really perfumy hard to explain
Taste- This tastes like a very cheap vanilla extract and it has a peppery feel in my mouth with a slight bitter taste. However, on the exhale it has a nice vanilla flavor
Findings- This one is a bit odd. I do like it and I use it in a lot of my recipes but I tend to pair it with some vanillin and bavarian cream. I have not tried it as a stand alone because I personally do not think it would be very good. but it does add a kick when mixed with other cream or vanilla type flavors

TFA Strawberry Ripe
Smell- WOW! Smells JUST like ripe strawberries plucked from the vine. Note I am not an artifical strawberry lover, but this smells fantastic!
Taste- I am equally impressed by this flavor it really is a true strawberry flavor it is sweet fruity and a bit tart. Perfect Replica IMO
Findings- If you are not a fan of strawberry flavorings. PLEASE give this one a try. I try to be bias in my reviews but MAN this stuff is wonderful.

TFA RY4 Type
Smell- Smells Chemically not really like a caramel, vanilla tobacco
Taste- Tastes like it has a hint of mint? Koolada? not really sure I sort of get an earthy flavor. Best put I feel like I am tasting a pine forest.
Findings- I can't say that this is bad, but it is definitely not something for me personally. It is not what I was expecting at all in flavor and I really do not detect any tobacco notes

TFA Pie Crust
Smell- Smells like...Pie Crust, graham crackery, buttery flaky crust.
Taste- The flavor seems a bit subtle to me but it is pretty spot on there is a light touch of sweetness and a nice creamy not on exhale
Findings- I would use a bit more of this in my recipes. It is very good and if you plan on making any cobbler or pie vapes give this one a try

TFA Pear
Smell- Very strong and perfumy but it does smell like pears. Maybe a hint of spice?
Taste- OMG! I had to spit this one out. at first it was sort of a strong pear and then it rapidly started tasting like vomit! seriously, I just couldn't take it.
Findings- I believe the nasty flavor is because this is super strong. I have used it in a VERY small percentage in one of my vapes and I acutally enjoy it very much so please do not take the vomit flavor as is. When vaping in a very small amount mixed with other flavors it is quite good.

TFA vanillin 10%
Smell- Very faint vanilla scent
Taste- Do not let the faint smell fool you. This stuff is VERY strong and will burn your taste buds off if you are not careful. It has a slight vanilla flavor.
Findings- This is not really a flavor it is more of an additive like Koolada or Sour. Use at a very small percentage and it can add a kick to your vanilla blends and even round them out a bit.

TFA Mild Black
Smell-Smells good sort of a tobacco, but I get a touch of vanilla in there.
Taste- Tastes similar to a vanilla cigar. This one is pretty true to it's name and the closest to a tobacco flavor I have tried so far.
Findings- My husband uses this one as a stand alone and the house gets that sweet vanilla cigar you would expect from a black and mile without the smoke.

TFA Red Type
Smell-Smells good, I can smell a touch of menthol in this one
Taste- sorry, not loving this one. it tastes like a mix of house cleaner, menthol and pine
Findings- Most tobacco flavors I have tried have the pine flavor to them. I am not sure if this is common but if you like those flavors give this one a try.

TFA Turkish
Smell- very earthy it does have a pleasant tobacco fragrance, but there is a hint of a green hay smell to it
Taste- upon tasting it seems like a very nice simple vape tobacco, but on exhale all I get is hay. If that hay flavor was not there this would be great.
Findings- Not the best but better than some of the others I have personally tried

TFA Tobacco
Smell- Simply put Floral Perfume!
Taste- Unfortunately, this one tastes just like a flower. I feel like I am literally chewing on flower petals
Findings- some people personally enjoy floral vapes. If you do then please give this one a try you will like it.

TFA Cubano
Smell- Smells like Jalapenos or something with a very spicy kick. It burns my nose a bit and gives me the urge to sneeze
Taste- This is a spicy floral kind of flavor. This one is very hard to describe because I just can't describe it any better than a spicy floral.
Findings- again, if you are into spicy floral vapes you will really enjoy this, sadly this one is not for me.

Well, there you have it! all of my flavorings I have purchased so far and what I personally think about them. I hope this has been helpful for you with making your first diy flavor purchase. I know it has been for me and I now have a better understanding of how this whole DIY thing works. Now to use my new found knowledge and make something great :)
thank you for posting this. it is hard to find reviews on these flavors and this information is very useful.I had never thought of adding a drop to water and tasting them but this is a very good ideal you are a real asset here

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
Thanks guys! I've been working and expanding trying to gather flavor profiles from all over the web and from other people. I am trying to make this an extensive list by doing it to all top flavor companies, but my pockets are not that deep to try each one myself. So the document can be edited by others so if you have tried a flavor and what to add your opinion it would be greatly appreciated for everyone who reads it and can learn something from it. DIY Flavor Profile List - Google Docs

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
taste is subjective and I have never tried drinking my flavors but I smoked a pipe for over 20 years and do find that the black honey tobacco mixed with a a little french vanilla cream does taste a lot like the vanilla cavendish I use to smoke. the mild black taste more like a cigar to me. cavendish pipe tobacco does not taste like cigarettes and is milder than cigar tobacco but I do find a note of this cavendish flavor when I vape it. but then again taste is very subjective.

Reactions: Slots

harryz

Oct 1, 2015
I love this thread however I had a different experience with a couple of the flavors you mentioned. I tried to blend Cherry Pomegranate, and started at a 15% mix. It tastes like Lysol. I numbed it down to 7% total, still tastes like Lysol. Did I just get a bad batch? The same goes for my Peach Apricot mix, full Lysol even at 7%. Tfa recommends much higher. Any experienced advice would be extremely appreciated. Again great thread!

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
I love this thread however I had a different experience with a couple of the flavors you mentioned. I tried to blend Cherry Pomegranate, and started at a 15% mix. It tastes like Lysol. I numbed it down to 7% total, still tastes like Lysol. Did I just get a bad batch? The same goes for my Peach Apricot mix, full Lysol even at 7%. Tfa recommends much higher. Any experienced advice would be extremely appreciated. Again great thread!

Hey there, sorry for the late reply I havent been on here much. Mixing flavors will give you a WHOLE different flavor profile. Just because they sound good together does not mean they will taste that way. I recommend you try each flavor individually for yourself as taste is highly subjective. Also, different brands will taste much different than others. I have also learned that the level of nicotine can play a big role in the way flavors can develop. I made the above review when i was vaping 24mg juice now I am down to 3mg and my flavor opinions have changed for some of the above flavors and my percentage recommendations are much less now than what they were then.

as far as your specific questions. Cherry Pomegranate... not sure which cherry you used but black cherry from TFA is very cough syrupy and chemical tasting to me unless it is used very low. I'm talking like 3% or less. Pomegranite is one I like because it is tart, but with that said it is also very perfumey when used too high. Start out mixing them in equal parts of 2% taste and decide if one is over powering the other and up the one that is weaker to balance the flavors.

Peach Apricot... I have not tried any peach but Juicy Peach to me it is pretty realistic and I like it as a stand alone around 8%. Unfortunately I have not tried Apricot so i cant say how that one is. but if you have juicy peach and add a few drops of gummy candy you will get a sort of peach ring candy flavor. Also, when I first started DIY I used a lot of sweetener, but I started making my juices without it and I get a better flavor. The sweetener seemed to dull things instead of helping. Just my two cents but I hope it helps you a bit. DIY is fun and a bit costly when you first start out but the more I am mixing the more I tend to like single flavors. they pop more to me. Another suggestion is actually making 2 stand alone flavors at the percentages you like best for each of them and then if you feel like experimenting you can mix a couple mls of the 2 flavors together. I think I make more crappy juice than I do good juice, but after a year of failed attempts I have about 5 mixes that I enjoy.

Reactions: Clark Kent

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I tried the mix with water thing and didn't get that far with it. For one thing, the flavors are mostly unsweetened and that may have been your issue with the Green Apple, for example. That or I hit a bad flavor right away and that turned me off on the method.

On the FlavourArt site a different method is suggested, mixing by smell the flavors undiluted first. Interesting but not sure about that one either. Have resigned myself to just making up a sample of every flavor to drip. Even acetyl pyrazine (labelled "Fritos", couldn't resist).

I presume that was the RY4 "original" type, seems like they ought to drop that in fovor of their better (to me) Asian style and the popular Double. It's not just a little different as their description might imply. Strong roses.

The Coconut Extra -- for when you absolutely, positively must taste coconut ;) . I like it, but notice in a mix it is more persistent than most other flavors, very hard or impossible to mix right except by putting it in it's own bottle and dripping to taste, use some, skip it the the next 2-4 drip cycles, add some more once it finally dissipates. This seems maybe what people talk about TFA harder to use. Many of the flavors are excellent though.

I really liked their Toasted Marshmallow but what a coil killer! You might get a full day on a wick.

Hated their DK Tab, smells like old shoes, the M-type is similar without the shoes and is a true "Marbo" flavor, which I don't use alone anymore but can be useful.

Last edited:

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2015
    Fl.
    I tried the mix with water thing and didn't get that far with it. For one thing, the flavors are mostly unsweetened and that may have been your issue with the Green Apple, for example. That or I hit a bad flavor right away and that turned me off on the method.

On the FlavourArt site a different method is suggested, mixing by smell the flavors undiluted first. Interesting but not sure about that one either. Have resigned myself to just making up a sample of every flavor to drip. Even acetyl pyrazine (labelled "Fritos", couldn't resist).

I presume that was the RY4 "original" type, seems like they ought to drop that in fovor of their better (to me) Asian style and the popular Double. It's not just a little different as their description might imply. Strong roses.

The Coconut Extra -- for when you absolutely, positively must taste coconut ;) . I like it, but notice in a mix it is more persistent than most other flavors, very hard or impossible to mix right except by putting it in it's own bottle and dripping to taste, use some, skip it the the next 2-4 drip cycles, add some more once it finally dissipates. This seems maybe what people talk about TFA harder to use. Many of the flavors are excellent though.

I really liked their Toasted Marshmallow but what a coil killer! You might get a full day on a wick.

Hated their DK Tab, smells like old shoes, the M-type is similar without the shoes and is a true "Marbo" flavor, which I don't use alone anymore but can be useful.

Thanks for all your input :) It is nice to see other's opinions on flavors and a few of those I have never tried and dont think I will any time soon,ha ha,old shoes.
    I smell them straight up before diluting and yes the flavors are a bit different in water than when they are vaped so a lot of the extra insight on my reviews are a mix of my experience with the vaped versions of them as well. As far as the green apple.. I've had a very hard time with that one and trying to find the best way to use it every recipe I stuck it in I had to toss so I figured I would try it by itself and it actually is not too bad as a stand alone and with a little bit of koolada its nice.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2015
    Fl.
    2 new reviews......

TFA Cinnamon Red Hots [ALC]
    Smell-Smells like red hot candies not as strong as I expected.
    Taste- Yowza!!! I vaped this at 8% because it didnt smell very strong to me, but it packs one hell of a punch and definitely tastes like those atomic fireball candies. It is also extremely sweet and no sweetener is needed in my opinion.
    Findings- I found mixing at 5% to be a nice medium for me. I vape at 60%vg. This is an excellent stand alone flavor, but vaping on this for a couple of days will definitely ruin your buds. I also notice a bit of a irritation in my lungs. I am assuming this is from the alcohol in this one so I will let it air out a bit. Overall, if you are new to DIY and want something tasty and like red hots give this one a try.
    ***Check out the safety of vaping Cinnamon and decide whether or not it is something for you before you run out and order it. It is also a tank cracker.

Inawera Desert Ship
    Smell-smells nice sort of a floral fruity sort of smell. Nothing like I would expect for a camelish type flavor though
    Taste- Not horrible, its a strange flavor and hard to describe. it is a sweet fruity floral flavor but has an ashy exhale. I think this would be nice in a mix but I am not a fan of it as a stand alone. The floral notes in this are not overwhelming and sort of nice.
    Findings- This is okay, much better than other tobacco flavors I have tried but nothing something I would vape a lot of.

Reactions: mauricem00
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread