TFA Flavor Breakdown (Must Read for DIYers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhavoc

Apr 26, 2014
North Alabama
Hello Everyone!

Ever wondered why some people taste different notes in different flavors? Or why "YMMV" applies? That is what this thread is for! My goal here is to help out DIYers. I stumbled upon TFA's "SPEC SHEETS & COMPONENTS" page last night and instantly became fascinated. They offer "MSDS FULL" for most flavors they make. For the most part, these are jumbled with various chemicals names that no one has heard of. Even using Google for many of them provides little insight. Anyway, without further ado, let's get down to business!

Here is a short list of flavor breakdowns. If there is significant interest, I will continue. If anyone has a specific TFA flavor that they would like to know more about, post it here and I will see what I can do.

Quick Rules: Please stay on-topic. Please do not ask, "What is your opinion on 'flavor name here'?" (There are other threads for this). Please do not ask me to breakdown other company's flavors (I do not have their MSDS's. If I find them, I will make another thread).

EDIT: After talking to Linda at TFA, I made a follow-up post. This post is to remove some of the confusion. When I started this thread, I used the MSDS link on TFA's MSDS page. After talking to Linda, I found out the the updated ingredients list is actually in the "Components List" page! So pretty much, I had to start all over again!

This time I am doing it a little differently. Attached is a .pdf file (Adobe Reader). It is better organized and formatted than I can get in the forum. When I update the list, I will make a new post with a new .pdf file. I tried to attach a .doc file, but it says that it is too big for the forum.. so here is a download link for that:

TFA Breakdown .doc Download Link

Attachments

• TFA Breakdown.pdf
    314 KB · Views: 945
Last edited:

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Hello Everyone!

Ever wondered why some people taste different notes in different flavors? Or why "YMMV" applies? That is what this thread is for! My goal here is to help out DIYers.

<<snip>>

"Perfumer's Apprentice." Perfumer's Apprentice. Perfumer's Apprentice, n.d. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.

Thank you for all this work.

(What part of N. Alabama? I was born in Sheffield.)

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
Yes yes, more please! :D

I'm curious about Toasted Almond myself, since I have a bottle of it. Also the Double Chocolate. And generally interested to see what makes up these flavourings. The Fenaroli and Burdock book is fascinating (and very expensive!).

There were a couple of posts in the FlavourArt thread recently that listed some TFA flavours. Since FA fans like the emphasis FA puts on being 'safe-for-vaping', I'm sure it would be interesting to them to know what's in some of these TFA flavours...

Our 'must haves' (from those without custard notes)...

Cheesecake Graham
Cherry Blossom
Cinnamon Redhot
Cranberry
Dragonfruit
French Vanilla (must have)
Grape Juice (spot on Welches)
Honeydew
Honeysuckle
Malted Milk (if you're gonna make milk shakes)
Maraschino Cherry
Mint Candy
Pear (perfect when/if you want canned pears)
Toasted Almond
Vanilla Swirl :::grin:::
Violet Candy

... but here are my most-used TFA for recipes (I'll leave out ones I use as standalone flavors):

White Chocolate (yum - there is no substitute, but it has custard notes)
Koolada - absolutely essential for my mints
Brown Sugar Extra, I use it a lot
Molasses (has custard notes, but an irreplaceable flavor)
Green Tea (way better than FA's)
Coconut Candy (has custard notes; I have many sweet recipes with this that FA doesn't quite work in)
Holiday Spice, Pumpkin Spice, and Horchata Base (for my chai and eggnog mixes)
Cheesecake Graham Crust (not the plain one)
Cranberry, which I rarely use, and only tiny bits, but when I need it, nothing else will do
Maraschino Cherry - tank-cracker, tastes exactly like those fake, bottled, neon monstrosities (mmm!)
RY4 double - for Halo Tribeca clones
Peanut Butter - custard-note stew, but I can't make my favorite candies without it. *sob*

dhavoc

Apr 26, 2014
North Alabama
EDIT: This is the attached list. It's the best I can do with the advanced options. If you want to download either of the attachments, they are all nicely organized and color-coded and such. They are also a hell of a lot easier to read than this.. but just in case someone doesn't want to download the attachment / or for some reason is not able to download the attachment, I posted it here.

Template:
• Flavor:
• Listed Chemical Name
• Description of flavor
• Taste Characteristics at xxx ppm (parts per million - if applicable):

Brown Sugar:

Cyclotene
Cyclotene has a sweet flavor somewhat similar to licorice. This compound is also reported to have a nutty odor, and a maple-licorice aroma in dilute solution
Taste Characteristics: N/A
Maltol
Maltol has a caramel–butterscotch odor and in solution it has a jam-like odor. This compound is also reported to have a suggestive of fruity, strawberry aroma in dilute solution
Taste Characteristics: N/A

Furfuryl alcohol
Furfuryl alcohol has a very mild, warm, oily, “burnt” odor and a cooked sugar taste.
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: burnt, sweet, caramellic and brown

Vanillin
Vanillin has a characteristic, creamy, vanilla-like odor with a very sweet taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: sweet, typical vanilla-like, marshmallow, creamy-coumarin, caramellic with a powdery nuance

Pineapple ketone
Pineapple ketone has a sweet, fruity, strawberry, hot sugar, fruity caramel or “burnt pineapple”aroma.
Taste characteristics at 0.10 to 1.0 ppm: sweet caramellic cooked meaty and fruity nuances

Veratraldehyde
Veratraldehyde has a very sweet, woody, vanilla-like odor with a warm, sweet, vanilla-like taste
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: phenolic, vanilla, sweet powdery cocoa, creamy, cherry-like with phenolic and balsamic nuances

Caramel Candy:
Ethyl vanillin
Ethyl vanillin has an intense vanilla odor and sweet taste. It enhances fruity and chocolate odor impression.
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: sweet, creamy, vanilla, smooth and caramellic

Vanillin
Vanillin has a characteristic, creamy, vanilla-like odor with a very sweet taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: sweet, typical vanilla-like, marshmallow, creamy-coumarin, caramellic
with a powdery nuance

Ethyl maltol
Ethyl maltol has a very sweet, fruit-like odor of immense tenacity and sweet, fruity taste with initial bitter-tart flavor.
Taste characteristics at 70 ppm: sweet, burnt cotton, sugar candy-like with jamy, strawberry notes

Cyclotene (See Brown Sugar - Cyclotene)

Ethyl butyrate
Ethyl butyrate has a fruity odor with pineapple undertone and sweet, analogous taste.
Taste characteristics at 20 ppm: fruity, sweet, tutti-frutti, apple, fresh and lifting, ethereal

Acetoin
Acetoin has a bland, woody, yogurt odor and a fatty creamy “tub” butter taste. It is useful as a flavor ingredient in butter, milk, yogurt or strawberry flavors.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: sweet, creamy, dairy, and butter-like

Ethyl heptoate
Ethyl heptanoate has a fruity odor reminiscent of cognac with a corresponding taste. It has been also reported to have
a winy-brandy odor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: fruity and waxy with a green winey nuance

Propenylguaethol
Propenylguaethol has a vanilla-like odor and flavor.
Taste characteristics at 25 ppm: vanilla, spicy, sweet nutty, anisic with a biting creaminess

Acetyl propionyl
Acetyl propionyl has a somewhat sweet odor similar to quinone, and a penetrating, buttery taste on dilution.
Taste characteristics at 1 to 5 ppm: sweet buttery, creamy, cheesy, slightly toasted dairy, with a rich baked
goods nuance and a good mouthfeel

Caramel Cappuccino:

4-Methyl-5-thiazoleethanol
4-Methyl-5-thiazoleethanol has a disagreeable odor typical of thiazole compounds; somewhat pleasant, reminiscent of beef and nut-like, on extreme dilution.
Taste characteristics at 20 ppm: meaty, brothy, roasted, metallic and nutty

Maltol (See Brown Sugar - Maltol)

Gamma Nonalactone
γ-Nonalactone has a strong odor reminiscent of coconut and a fatty, peculiar taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: coconut, creamy, waxy with fatty milky notes

Isovaleraldehyde
Isovaleraldehyde has a choking, powerful, acrid, pungent, apple-like odor. This compound is also reported to
have a fruity, fatty, animal, almond odor.
Taste threshold values: N/A

Gamma Dodecalactone
γ-Dodecalactone has a fatty, peachy, somewhat musky odor and buttery, peach-like flavor.
Taste characteristics at 1 to 10 ppm: sweet, fruity peach, milky fatty and waxy with a pulpy fruity mouthfeel

Acetoin (See Caramel Candy - Acetoin)
Acetyl propionyl (See Caramel Candy - Acetyl propionyl)

Delta Decalactone
δ-Decalactone has an oily, peach odor and taste.
Taste characteristics at 2 ppm: waxy, coconut, lactonic, fatty, creamy, nutty and fruity

Furfuryl thioacetate
Furfuryl thioacetate has a burnt, roasted odor.
Taste characteristics at 1 ppm: roasted, alliaceous, garlic, coffee, meaty, savory and sulfureous

Gamma Undecalactone
Gamma Undecalactone has a strong, fruity odor suggestive of peach (particularly on dilution). It has a pungent and sweet flavor also similar to peach.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: fatty, coconut, creamy, vanilla, nutty, macadamia and peach

Fruity ketal
(Z-) and (E-) Ethyl 2,4-dimethyl-1,3-dioxolane-2-acetate have soft, fruity notes.

Caramel Original:

Ethyl vanillin (See Caramel Candy - Ethyl vanillin)
Vanillin (See Caramel Candy - Vanillin)
Ethyl maltol (See Caramel Candy - Ethyl maltol)

Octyl 2-furoate
Octyl 2-furoate has a waxy, caramel odor. This compound is also reported as having a sweet, fruity, heavy odor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: waxy, fatty, brown, brothy and mushroom-like with a green metallic nuance

Gamma nonalactone (See Caramel Cappuccino - Gamma nonalactone)

Chai Tea Flavor:

Triethyl citrate
Triethyl citrate is odorless, but has a bitter taste.
Limonene
Limonene has a pleasant, lemon-like odor free from camphoraceous and turpentine-like notes.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: sweet, orange, citrus and terpy
Vanillin (See Caramel Candy - Vanillin)
Terpinyl acetate
Terpinyl acetate has a sweet, refreshing, herbaceous odor.
Taste characteristics at 12.5 ppm: woody, citrus, spicy, floral, grapefruit and seedy
Eucalyptol
Eucalyptol has a characteristic camphoraceous odor and fresh, pungent, cooling taste
Taste characteristics at 5 ppm: cooling, fresh, oily, green, spicy, pine-like
Eugenol
Eugenol has a strong aromatic odor of clove and a spicy, pungent taste.
Terpinolene
Terpinolene has a pleasant sweet-piney odor with a somewhat sweet, citrus flavor.
Taste characteristics at 2 to 25 ppm: woody, terpy, lemon and lime-like with a slight herbal and floral nuance

Linalyl acetate
Linalyl acetate has a characteristic bergamot–lavender odor and persistent sweet, acrid taste.
Taste characteristics at 5 ppm: floral, green, waxy, terpy, citrus, herbal and spicy nuances

Linalool
Linalool has a typical pleasant floral odor, free from camphoraceous and terpenic notes.
Taste characteristics at 5 ppm: green, apple and pear with an oily, waxy, slightly citrus note

Cinnamaldehyde
Cinnamaldehyde has a strong cinnamon odor
Taste characteristics at 0.5 ppm: spicy, cinnamon and cinnamon bark

Benzyl butyrate
Benzyl butyrate has a characteristic fruity-floral, plum-like odor and a sweet, pear-like taste.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: sweet, aromatic, powdery vanillin-like

Eugenyl acetate
Eugenyl acetate has a characteristic odor reminiscent of clove oil, with a burning, aromatic flavor.

Cherry Blossom:

Benzaldehyde
Benzaldehyde has a characteristic odor and aromatic taste similar to bitter almond.
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: sweet, oily, almond, cherry, nutty and woody

Ethyl butyrate (See Caramel Candy - Ethyl butyrate)

Ethyl isovalerate
Ethyl isovalerate has a strong, fruity, vinous, apple-like odor on dilution.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: fruity, sweet, estry and berry-like with a ripe, pulpy fruity nuance

Linalool (See Chai Tea - Linalool)

Isoamyl acetate
Isoamyl acetate has a fruity, banana, sweet, fragrant, powerful odor with a bittersweet taste reminiscent of pear.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: sweet fruity, banana-like with a green ripe nuance

Benzyl acetate
Benzyl acetate has a characteristic flowery (jasmine) odor and a bitter, pungent taste
Taste characteristics at 40 ppm: sweet and fruity

Cheesecake (Graham Crust):
Vanillin (See Brown Sugar - Vanillin)
Hexanoic acid
Hexanoic acid has a sickening, sweaty, rancid, sour, sharp, pungent, cheesy, fatty, unpleasant odor reminiscent of copra oil. It exhibits an acrid taste.

Gamma Octalactone
γ-Octalactone has a fruity odor reminiscent of coconut and a very sweet taste
Taste characteristics at 1 to 10 ppm: coconut, fatty, creamy, coumarinic, with a strong creamy and waxy mouthfeel

Acetyl pyrazine
Acetyl pyrazine has a nutty, popcorn, bread crust odor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: roasted, nutty, bready, yeasty with popcorn, corn chip nuance

Cinnamon Red Hot (PG):
Cinnamaldehyde (See Chai Tea - Cinnamaldehyde)
Benzyl Alcohol
Benzyl alcohol has a characteristic pleasant, fruity odor and a slightly pungent, sweet taste; the note tends to become
similar to that of benzyl aldehyde on aging.
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: chemical, fruity with balsamic nuances
Eugenol (See Chai Tea - Eugenol)

Coconut Candy:
Delta Decalactone (See Caramel Cappuccino - Delta Decalactone)
Gamma Octalactone (Cheesecake Graham Crust - Gamma Octalactone)
Dihydrocoumarin
Dihydrocoumarin has an odor similar to coumarin at room temperature or reminiscent of nitrobenzene at higher temperature. It has a burning taste.
Delta Dodecalactone
δ-Dodecalactone has a powerful, fresh, coconut-fruity, oily odor. On dilution the odor is butter-like. At low levels, it
has a peach-, pear-, plum-like flavor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: strong fatty creamy, stale milky lactonic massoia notes with a dairy mouthfeel

Butyl butyryl lactate
Butyl butyryl lactate has a taste similar to milk, mild cheese, butter and cream.
Taste characteristics at 5 ppm: creamy mouthfeel, buttery dairy, waxy, milky with coconut and cheesy nuances
Hexanedione
Hexanedione has a powerful, creamy, sweet and buttery odor (less than diacetyl) and a buttery cheese taste.
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: creamy, fruity, toasted brown, caramellic notes

Cranberry:
Ethyl 2-methylbutyrate
Ethyl 2-methylbutyrate has a powerful, green-fruity, apple-like odor.
Taste characteristics at 40 ppm: fruity, green, berry, strawberry, fresh apple, pineapple and raspberry
Menthyl acetate
Menthyl acetate has a fresh odor similar to mint and rose (on dilution). It has a characteristic, fresh, pungent flavor, different from menthol (being much milder). It has a cool mouthfeel with only a trace of mint flavor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: tea-like, cooling and fruity
Benzyl alcohol (See Cinnamon Red Hot Concentrate - Benzyl alcohol)
Benzaldehyde (See Cherry Blossom - Benzaldehyde)
Benzyl benzoate
Benzyl benzoate has a light, balsamic odor reminiscent of almond and a sharp, pungent taste.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: balsamic, fruity with powdery and berry nuances
Butyl butyryl lactate (See Coconut Candy - Butyl butyryl lactate)
Menthol
Menthol has a peppermint-like odor and exerts a cooling sensation when applied to skin and mucosal surfaces.
Taste characteristics at 25 ppm: cooling, camphoreous, minty with a clean eucalyptus note
Alpha Terpineol
α-Terpineol has a characteristic lilac odor with a sweet taste reminiscent of peach on dilution.
Taste characteristics at 2 to 25 ppm: woody, terpy, lemon and lemon–lime-like with a slight herbal and floral nuance
Taste characteristics at 10 to 25 ppm: citrus woody with a lemon and lime nuance. It has a slight soapy mouthfeel

2-Methylbutyric acid
2-Methylbutyric acid has a pungent, acrid odor similar to Roquefort cheese with an acrid taste. At low dilutions, it has
a pleasant, fruity taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: dirty, acidic sour, ripe fruity, with a dairy buttery and cheesy nuance
Acetic acid
Acetic acid is a colorless liquid with a strong, pungent, characteristic vinegar odor, it is useful in butter, cheese, grape and fruit flavors.
Taste characteristics at 15 ppm: sour, acidic tangy
Ethyl levulinate
Ethyl levulinate has an ethereal, fruity, green, sweet, pineapple, apple, rhubarb odor.
Taste characteristics at 40 ppm: fruity, green, waxy and melon

Double Chocolate (Clear):

Benzyl alcohol (See Cinnamon Red Hot - Benzyl Alcohol)

Pyrazine, trimethyl-
2,3,5-Trimethylpyrazine has a baked potato or roasted nut aroma.
Taste characteristics at 80 ppm: raw, musty, nutty and potato

5-Methyl-2-phenyl-2-hexenal
5-Methyl-2-phenyl-2-hexenal has a cocoa aroma. It is used in chocolate and cocoa-type flavors.

Ethyl maltol(See Caramel Candy - Ethyl maltol)
Isovaleraldehyde (See Caramel Cappuccino - Isovaleraldehyde)
Hexanoic acid (See Cheesecake Graham Crust - Hexanoic acid)

Caprylic acid
Octanoic acid has a mildly unpleasant odor and a burning, rancid taste. Octanoic acid is also reported as having a faint,
fruity–acid odor and slightly sour taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: creamy, waxy, dirty, sweaty, dairy cheeselike

Dragonfruit:

Triethyl citrate (See Chai Tea - Citric Acid)
Gamma Undecalactone (See Caramel Cappuccino - Gamma Undecalactone)

Allyl caproate
Allyl caproate is a colorless liquid with fruity sweet, pineapple-like taste and fruit-like aroma (pineapple).
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: sweet, fresh, juicy, pineapple and fruity

Isoamyl acetate (See Cherry Blossom - Isoamyl acetate)
2-Methylbutyric acid (See Cranberry - 2-Methylbutyric acid)

Ethyl hexanoate
Ethyl hexanoate has a powerful, fruity odor with a pineapple–banana note. It has been also reported to have a winy odor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: fruity and waxy with a tropical nuance

Limonene (See Chai Tea - Limonene)

French Vanilla:

Benzyl alcohol (See Cinnamon Red Hot Concentrate - Benzyl alcohol)

Anisaldehyde
p-Methoxybenzaldehyde has a sweet, floral odor and a pungent, anise-like flavor. It has a bitter flavor above 30 to 40 ppm.
Taste characteristics at 5 to 10 ppm: sweet powdery, vanilla creamy, spice anise, nutty, cherry pit and almond-like nuances

Koolada-3
Koolada-3 has a slight menthol-like cooling effect aroma.
Taste characteristics at 10 to 100 ppm. Intense lingering cooling. The cooling sensation builds slow but steadily and grows to a lingering cooling mouthfeel with a slightly camphoraceous and minty character

French Vanilla Deluxe:

Isoamyl Isovalerate
Isoamyl isovalerate has a fruity, sweet, apple, apricot, mango-characteristic fruity odor and sweet-apple-like flavor.
Taste characteristics at 15 ppm: green, fruity, estry, apple, pineapple and tutti-frutti

4-Methyl-5-thiazoleethanol (See Caramel Cappuccino - 4-Methyl-5-thiazoleethanol)
Ethyl Butyrate (See Caramel Candy - Ethyl butyrate)
Anisaldehyde (See French Vanilla - Anisaldehyde)
Gamma Nonalactone (See Caramel Cappuccino - Gamma nonalactone)

Anisyl alcohol
Anisyl alcohol has a floral odor with sweet, fruity (peach) taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: spice, anise, vanilla, balsamic and powdery

Gamma Hexalactone
γ-Hexalactone has a sweet, herbaceous, warm, powerful, odor, with a sweet, coumarin-caramel taste. This compound
is also described to have odor as sweet, creamy, lactonic, tobacco and coumarin-like with green coconut nuances.
Taste characteristics at 75 ppm: sweet, creamy, vanilla-like with green lactonic powdery nuances

Gamma Octalactone (Cheesecake Graham Crust - Gamma Octalactone)

Piperonal
Piperonal has a sweet, flowery odor reminiscent of heliotrope and a bittersweet taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 to 50 ppm: ripe black cherry fleshy, ripe berry, sweet, macaroon, Jordan almond,
creamy vanilla, spicy cream soda, courmarin, slight floral with hay nuances

Grape Juice:

Dimethyl anthranilate
Dimethyl anthranilate has an orange and mandarin peel-like odor and a musty, grape-like flavor; somewhat more berry-like than grape.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: fruity grape skin, anthranilate-like with a woody and floral nuance

Methyl anthranilate
Methyl anthranilate has a characteristic orange-flower odor and slightly bitter, pungent taste.
Taste characteristics at 25 ppm: sweet, fruity, concord grape, with a musty and berry nuance

Ethyl isovalerate (See Cherry Blossom - Ethyl isovalerate)
Acetic acid (See Cranberry - Acetic acid)

Gamma Decalactone
γ-Decalactone has a pleasant, fruity, peach-like odor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: creamy, fatty, oily, buttery sweet, coconut, fruity and peach-like.

Green Tea:

Holiday Spice:

Triacetin
Triacetin has a very faint, fruity odor. It has a mild, sweet taste that is bitter above 0.05%
Taste characteristics: Sweet and creamy with an oily mouthfeel

Β-Pinene
β-Pinene has a characteristic turpentine odor with a dry, woody or resinous aroma.
Taste characteristics at 15 to 100 ppm: fresh, piney and woody, terpy and resinous with a slight minty, spicy and camphoraceous nuance

Terpinolene (See Chai Tea - Terpinolene)

Hexyl acetate
Hexyl acetate has a pleasant fruity, apple, cherry, pear, floral odor and bittersweet taste suggestive of pear.
Taste characteristics at 15 ppm: fruity, green, fresh, sweet, banana peel, apple and pear

Dihydrocoumarin (See Coconut Candy - Dihydrocoumarin)

Ethyl Decanoate
Ethyl decanoate has a fruity odor reminiscent of grape (cognac). It has been also reported to have an oily, brandy-like odor.
Taste characteristics at 20 ppm: waxy, fruity, sweet apple

Honeydew:

(Z)-Non-6-en-1-ol
Cis-6-Nonen-1-ol has a powerful, melon, green odor.
Taste characteristics at 25 ppm: waxy, cucumber, honeydew, green watermelon

6-methyl-5-Hepten-2-one
6-Methyl-5-hepten-2-one has a strong, fatty, green, citrus-like odor and bittersweet taste reminiscent of pear.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: green, vegetative, musty, apple, banana and green bean-like

Honeysuckle:

Alpha Terpineol (See Cranberry - Alpha Terpineol)

3-Hexen-1-ol, (Z)-
3-Hexen-1-ol has an intense, grassy-green odor, not as strong as the corresponding aldehyde, and a characteristic herbaceous, leafy odor on dilution.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: fresh, green, raw fruity with a pungent depth

Octyl acetate
Octyl acetate has a fruity odor reminiscent of neroli and jasmine with a fruity, slightly bitter taste suggestive of peach.

Triacetin (See Holiday Spice - Triacetin)
Gamma Decalactone (See Grape Juice - Gamma Decalactone)

Koolada:

Koolada-3 (See French Vanilla - Koolada-3)

Maple Flavor:

Maraschino Cherry:
Geraniol
Geraniol has a characteristic rose-like odor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: sweet floral rose, citrus with fruity, waxy nuances
P-Tolualdehyde
Tolualdehydes, mixed o-, m-, p-, have a sweet and herbaceous odor reminiscent of bitter almond.
Taste characteristics at 15 ppm: cherry pit, coumarin, almond, sweet, with a slight powdery hay and vanillalike nuance
Citronellol
Citronellol has a characteristic rose-like odor and a sweet, peach-like flavor.
Taste characteristics at 20 ppm: floral, rose, sweet and green with fruity citrus nuances
Ionone (α / β mixture)
α-Ionone has a warm, woody, berry characteristic violet-like odor. β-Ionone has a characteristic violet-like odor, more fruity and woody than α-ionone.
Taste characteristics at 20 ppm: woody, floral, berry, fruity with powdery nuances
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: woody, sweet, fruity, berry-like with a green berry background

Benzyl acetate (See Cherry Blossom - Benzyl acetate)
Linalool (See Chai Tea - Linlool)
Linalyl acetate (See Chai Tea - Linalyl acetate)

Isoamyl butyrate
Isoamyl butyrate has a fruity, apricot, pineapple, banana, strong, characteristic odor and a sweet, corresponding taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: ripe fruity, fatty, banana, apple, melon and fermented whiskey

Nerol
Nerol has a fresh, sweet, rose-like odor and a bitter flavor.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm in 5% sugar and 0.1% CA: rosy with citrus nuances, fruity pear with floral citronellal notes

Anisyl acetate
Anisyl acetate has a floral, fruit-like odor (pleasant, vanilla, plum, lilac) and a slight pungent, sweet taste.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: fruity, floral, vanilla, coconut, honey, cocoa, anise and licorice

β-Ionone (See Maraschino Cherry - Ionone α / β mixture)

Mint Candy:

Menthol (See Cranberry - Menthol)
Menthone
Menthone has a characteristic mint-like odor
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: cooling, peppermint, fresh green, minty, herbal, dirty mentholic with a refreshing camphoraceous nuance
Menthyl acetate (See Cranberry - Menthyl Acetate)
Eucalyptol (See Chai Tea - Eucalyptol)

Molasses:

Peanut Butter:

Acetyl Pyrazine (See Cheesecake Graham Crust - Acetyl Pyrazine)
Trimethyl-Pyrazine (See Double Chocolate)
2-ethyl-6-methylpyrazine
2-Ethyl-6-methylpyrazine has a roasted baked potato odor
2,5-Dimethylpyrazine
2,5-Dimethylpyrazine has a characteristic odor of earthy, potato-like odor
Taste characteristics at 7.5 ppm: musty, potato, cocoa and nutty with a fatty and oily nuance
Delta Decalactone (See Caramel Cappuccino - Delta Decalactone)

Pear:

cis-3-Hexenyl butyrate
cis-3-Hexenyl butyrate has a green, fruity, somewhat buttery aroma.
Taste characteristics at 20 ppm: green, fruity, leafy with a fresh apple and pear nuance

Ethyl 2-methylbutyrate
Ethyl 2-methylbutyrate has a powerful, green-fruity, apple-like odor.
Taste characteristics at 40 ppm: fruity, green, berry, strawberry, fresh apple, pineapple and raspberry

5-Methylfurfural
5-Methylfurfural has a sweet, spicy, warm odor with a sweet, caramel-like flavor.
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: sweet, brown, caramellic, grain, maple-like

cis-3-Hexenyl-2-methylbutyrate
cis-3-Hexenyl-2-methylbutyrate has a strong, warm, fruity odor like unripe apple and pineapple. It has a sweet, apple-like
taste.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: green, fruity, sweet, juicy and pear-like with vegetative nuances

Ethyl Decanoate (See Holiday Spice - Ethyl Decanoate)

Amyl alcohol
Amyl alcohol has a characteristic fusel-like sweet and pleasant odor and burning taste.
Taste characteristics at 50 ppm: intense fusel, fermented, bready and cereal with a fruity undertone

cis-3-Hexen-1-yl acetate
cis-3-Hexen-1-yl acetate has a powerful, green, fruity, floral note reminiscent of banana.
Taste characteristics at 10 ppm: green, fruity, apple and pear with fresh tropical nuances

Benzyl benzoate (See Cranberry - Benzyl benzoate)

3-Hexen-1-ol
3-Hexen-1-ol has an intense, grassy-green odor, not as strong as the corresponding aldehyde, and a characteristic herbaceous, leafy odor on dilution.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: fresh, green, raw fruity with a pungent depth

Isoamyl butyrate (See Maraschino Cherry - Isoamyl butyrate)

n-Butyric acid
n-Butyric acid has a persistent, penetrating, rancid, butter-like odor and burning, acid taste.
Taste characteristics at 250 ppm: acidic, sour, cheesy, dairy, creamy with a fruity nuance

Terpineol (See Cranberry - Alpha Terpineol)
Ethyl Hexanoate (See Dragonfruit - Ethyl Hexanoate)
Benzyl butyrate (See Chai Tea - Benzyl butyrate)
Gamma Decalactone (See Grape Juice - Gamma Decalactone)

Ethyl-trans-2, cis-4-decadienoate
Ethyl-trans-2, cis-4-decadienoate has a characteristic pear-like flavor and a light fruity aroma.
Taste characteristics at 5 ppm: ripe pear, green fruity, waxy apple, tropical notes, fatty golden delicious apple fleshy
Taste characteristics at 20 ppm: green, fruity, apple and pear with waxy tropical nuances

(Z)-3-Hexenyl isobutyrate
(Z)-3-Hexenyl isobutyrate has a green, fruity, apple-like odor.
Taste characteristics at 1 to 5 ppm: sweet, fruity, apple and pear with a slight green character and nuances of raw beans and filberts

RY4:
2-Buten-1-one, 1-(2,6,6-trimethyl-1-cyclohexen-1-yl)-(2E)
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm: green, woody, minty with a herbal floral nuance

Menthyl acetate (See Cranberry - Menthyl acetate)

Delta Damascone
δ-Damascone has an intense, fruity odor.
Taste characteristics at 30 ppm, woody, astringent, berry with a slight spice nuance

Toasted Almond:

Dihydrocoumarin (See Coconut Candy - Dihydrocoumarin)
Veratraldehyde (See Brown Sugar - Veratraldehyde)
Hexanal
Hexanal has a fatty, green, grassy, powerful, penetrating characteristic fruity odor and taste.
Taste characteristics at 2.5 ppm: green, woody, vegetative, apple, grassy, citrus and orange with a fresh, lingering aftertaste
2-Methoxy-3-methylpyrazine
2-Methoxy-3-methylpyrazine has an aroma reminiscent of hazelnut, almond and peanut. It is used as a coffee aroma enhancing agent.
Pyrazine <2-methoxy-, 6-methyl->
Benzyl Alcohol

Vanilla Swirl:

Gamma Nonalactone (See Caramel Cappuccino - Gamma nonalactone)
Isoamyl Isovalerate (See French Vanilla Deluxe - Isoamyl Isovalerate)
Anisyl alcohol (See French Vanilla Deluxe - Anisyl alcohol)

Violet Candy Flavor:

Geraniol (See Maraschino Cherry - Geraniol)
Citronellol (See Maraschino Cherry - Citronellol)

White Chocolate:

Butyl butyryl lactate (See Coconut Candy - Butyl butyryl lactate)

Cocoa Hexenal
5-Methyl-2-phenyl-2-hexenal has a cocoa aroma. It is used in chocolate and cocoa-type flavors.

Works Cited​
Burdock, George A., and Giovanni Fenaroli. Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients.
Boca Raton: CRC/Taylor & Francis Group, 2010. Print.
"Perfumer's Apprentice." Perfumer's Apprentice. Perfumer's Apprentice, n.d. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.

Last edited:

dhavoc

Apr 26, 2014
North Alabama
Thanks for taking the time to post all that, dhavoc! Luminol... isn't that the stuff from the cop shows that they spray to see blood stains? Yow...

That it is. The Good Scents Company lists the following information:

"Recommendation for luminol flavor usage levels up to: not for flavor use"

I have emailed The Perfumer's Apprentice asking why this is in their flavoring.. I will update with their response.

Last edited:

dhavoc

Apr 26, 2014
North Alabama
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Linda from The Perfumer's Apprentice. I emailed her yesterday regarding a MSDS report for Maraschino Cherry that claimed to have Luminol present. I will paraphrase the important portions of the conversation:

First off, there is NO Luminol in their Maraschino Cherry flavor (or any other flavor for that matter). Every flavor that TFA uses is FDA Approved and Food Safe. TFA has been doing their own chromatography (gc/ms) in attempt to label the ingredients in each of their products. Not all of their flavors are designed in-house. The manufacturers of the flavor compounds do not publish or provide ingredients list (as these are proprietary). Because of this fact, TFA has been working to provide customers with an idea of what the ingredients are. They are an accurate suggestion based off of results analyzed through gas-chromatography.

"We will post new data as it becomes available - these are approximations only and are not definitive."

For instance:

Where Clove flavoring may use "Clove Essential Oil," a gc/ms result will provide "eugenol," as well as a myriad of other flavor constituents. To further explain this, I will post results that provide an analysis of Clove Oil, provided by "CSIR Unit for Research and Development of Information Products":

"Acetophenone, benzyl salicylate, a-cadinol, g-decalactone, fenchone, hexanal, 2- hexanone, methyl palmitate, g-muurolene, palustrol, propyl benzoate, b-selinene and a- thujene were identified in volatile oil (Agric. Biol. Chem. 1985,49,1538); caryophylla-4(12),8(13)-dien-5a-ol, caryophylla-3,8(13)-dien-5a-ol, caryophylla-3,8(13)-dien-5b-ol and 4,4-dimethyltricyclo(6,3,2,0)-trideca-8-en-1-ol were found to be present in oil"

See how this could be confusing? A GC/MS result may show some, or all of the above compounds when analyzing Clove Oil. Even though the major flavoring component is Eugenol, the other constituents present will still show up in the results.

Do to this fact, and the fact that TFA has ~225 different flavors, they are doing their best to analyze and sort each flavor.

I have been alerted that many of the MSDS's have been updated. I will be going through these updates and correcting any errors in my previous posts.

EDIT:

The above post explains why the thread format was changed.
On Page 1 of this thread, I have download links (.doc & .pdf) as well as the entire list posted.
The posted list, due to the lack of editing options on the forum, looks nowhere as organized on here as it does in the attachments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread