TFV12 Honest Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
Hello vaping Community,

Just wanted to share some of my insight on the 3x TFV12's that I picked up a couple days ago.

So, I, like many of you, were extremely excited about the new TFV12. I had went out to my local shop (when I had the spare funds for some new tanks), and bought 3 TFV12 tanks - in gold/stainless/7-color), as well as upgraded my mod to a Alien 220w for the TFV12's to sit on.

Upon getting home and putting juice in the 3 pre-installed T12-V14 coils (properly I might add - made sure to take apart everything and check for missing pieces/unscrewed pieces, primed my coils, put juice in and let it sit for 15mins while dry vaccuming it, etc). When I went back 15-30mins later to vape the coils (start at 60, take 3 pulls, then put up watts 10 until at the desired wattage), but I came back to find...

That ALL 3 of my tanks leaked. Now I am by no means a expert on these tanks, so I thought I must have done something wrong. I watched a ton of videos, tried a ton of different things that people had said worked for them, and... After much investigation, and many ml's of juice lost, I have found the problem!! 8/9 of the coils that came in my boxes (2 spare, 1x preinstalled in each box) had grounding wires sticking out from the bottom of the coil and coming out of the seal. This had either damaged the seal, or created gaps to which air/liquid could seep from, thus spilling all my tanks. After trying out 5/9 coils and having them all leak my tank of juice, I decided to take a look at all my remaining ones and choose the ONLY ONE that had no grounding wires sticking out, and actually created a clean seal (an X4 coil). I installed that one just as I did all the others (I might add that once this one was installed, I could see through the air holes that there was no gaps and no grounding wires sticking out. I actually felt confident that this tank wouldnt leak before even trying it out. At least I was hopeful anyways, because if it didnt work, then I didnt know if I would ever find the problem). After I filled the tank, did my normal dry vacum, did my coil break in up to 115 watts (my prefered that I found) and its now 12hours later without a single drop coming out anywhere. I even played soccer last night with some friends in a parking lot while holding it, and NO LIQUID dropped out. I opened it up this morning to fill it with some more juice before leaving for work as well, wrapped it in paper towel just incase on my way to work so it didnt leak in my car, and when I got to work, still not a single drop. This leads me to believe that it is those bloody grounding wires breaking the seal, which really sucks as 8/9 coils that came with my sets are all filled with grounding wires creating gaps at that seal.

I must say, I am extremely disappointed that I just spent 150$ on 3 new tanks, and out of the 9 coils SMOK gave me, only 1 was usable. Luckily, I have contacted the vape shop I bought this from, and due to it being my first purchase at the store/the amount I spent on various other items (drip tips/batteries/liquid/alien mod), he said I can bring all my defective coils in and he would replace them free of charge for me. Had I have not been so lucky to have a vape shop like this, I'd be .... out of luck and have to buy new coils for my new tanks within the first 48hours.

Its not all bad news though, as I must say, the TFV12 was everything I imagined it would be and more. I had previously been vaping on a Aspire Plato with a crappy ... coil installed which only allowed me to vape at 13 watts safely lol (my first vape kit, didnt spend much as I didnt know if it would help me quit cigarettes). After 3 months of use, I decided to upgrade my whole set up, and WOW what a difference! I definitely recommend TFV12 as an awesome cloud chaser with nice flavor. I actually couldnt believe the noticeable difference that I was experiencing in so many different ways. Cloud production was more than my last, flavor was better, nic hit was more, the fact that I can unscrew one and put on another one to change flavors day to day so I dont get sick of any 1 flavor, just everything. Minus the frustrations of getting this thing not to leak, id recommend to anyone.

With that being said, if the replacement coils that I'm picking up today look like the ones that came in my box, and I'm going to have to buy 20 coils just to find out 10+ are unusable, then I will be extremely disappointed and editing this review as that is not right. Should I find out that the coils that came in the box are just faulty, and that the separate replacement coils shipped are 100% sealed without this grounding wire issue, then I will be 100% happy with my purchase, and will be a TFV user forever. Gives me a nice big hit of nicotine, and within 3-4 pulls I find that I already feed my nic needs, where as with my Aspire Plato, I'd have to sit outside for 5+ mins, taking numerous amounts of pulls just to get that same feeling.

Will let everyone know how my time at the vape shops goes today once I get back :)

Last edited:

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
What possessed u to buy 3 TFV12s all at once? Seems excessive lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Well a couple reasons actually:
1) I had read good things online - more good than bad. I wanted a top end tank that provided loads of cloud so that I can get my nic faster. Current build I was using previous to my new alien mod had no remove-able tank, so I would just finish a coil and change it out along with a new flavor of liquid. I got this new build for the fact that I could just un-screw and re-screw on a new tank in 10 seconds, and have a new flavor coming out. Which leads me to the next point of why I got 3.
2) I use multiple tanks throughout the week (each tank has its own dedicated flavor for the life of the coil atleast). This way, each morning when I wake up, I can decide which flavor I want for the day, screw it on, and off I go. Hense why I bought 3 (1 for each of my fav. flavors - Blue Cotton Candy, Green Fritz, and Grape White). Should I have maybe done 3 different top end tanks, ya maybe. But I decided to keep it SMOK brand, same as my mod, and also the newest (go big or go home :p).

Lesson learned I guess, but as long as they dont leak everywhere (like my current one isnt), then I'm as happy as can be about my purchase

P.S - Went to the vape shop, guy helped me push in the wires that were sticking out and now I have flush seals on all my coils. Going to test later on today or tomorrow (if not this weekend forsure) depending on how busy I am, and will let you know how it goes! If it doesnt work, he said come back for replacements :)

theclaw20

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2017
True. I own two TFV8s and one TFV12. Bought them separately over the course of a year or so. Love Smok tanks.

I'm weird as far as flavors go in that I'm not picky about throwing new juice on top of an older flavor as long as those flavors complement one another.

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
True. I own two TFV8s and one TFV12. Bought them separately over the course of a year or so. Love Smok tanks.

I'm weird as far as flavors go in that I'm not picky about throwing new juice on top of an older flavor as long as those flavors complement one another.

Have you tried increasing the nic content of your juice?

1) Ya, I'm kinda picky like that. I prefer using the same juice for the life of the coil, and when I switch out to a new coil, I'll debate with myself which juice to throw in for the life of the new coil. Just preference I guess, but ya, it was the main reason I got 3x TFV12's (consistency in tank between my flavors)

2) Im currently using between 4-6mg of nic in my juice, again, just preference. The previous kit I had was only allowing me to burn at 13.3 watts safely, and i'd get in a 10 second pull of that what I'd get in a 1second pull of the TFV12 in terms of vapor. So I guess that is what I was trying to explain when saying get my nic faster. The fact that 1 second of pulling on a TFV12 is the equivalent feeling of pulling on my previous Aspire Plato for 10 seconds.

3) All and all, im extremely happy with my purchase. Should this wire fix be the end of my leaking problem, then I will be a user of this brand of tank for a long long time :)

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
TFV8 had same issue with coils. Good to see they did not fix their issues

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Ya, quite annoying to be honest. Seems though all you have to do is take a thin screw driver and just push the wires back into the center (on the bottom portion of the coil), this way the red o-ring can seal 100% of the way around. This will stop all leakages (24hours in now or so and still not even the slightest of leaks since I applied that fix)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have a BB and BBB from them (obviously not the same) and use a BBB on an AL85 for my stand outside work chain vape setup. It bounces around in my pocket, and with several of the coils now used by me, not one has leaked. They can build them right if they want to, and considering the pricing on those tfv12 coils, they should be checking them over a half dozen times before shipping them out.

There is a new iJoy tank out to compete, the Cigpet Eco12 (where do these names come from?) which has coils that are interchangeable with the tfv12 coils. It might be worth checking them out for performance and build quality, as they are also a little cheaper than the Smok coils.

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
There is a new iJoy tank out to compete, the Cigpet Eco12 (where do these names come from?) which has coils that are interchangeable with the tfv12 coils. It might be worth checking them out for performance and build quality, as they are also a little cheaper than the Smok coils.

So this new iJoy coils will fit into my TFV12 tank? If so, it would definitely be worth checking them out.

I love my TFV12 tank, but this coil issue I've been facing hasn't left a good impression on me. Went to the vape shop and even all the separately sold coils for the TFV12 by SMOK have the wires sticking out of the o-ring at the bottom end of the coil where is screws into the base. Seems each one will need to have their wires tucked in manually behind the o-ring, or else they will all leak, which is not ideal, especially considering that its not a lower end coil

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@PvPHoe yes, those particular iJoy coils will fit your TFV12.

This is pretty ridiculous, I've gotta say. I haven't had anything like this with the baby engine coils, but I also haven't had my BBs for that long and never owned an original V8. I will probably pass on the 12 since I always have to argue with myself over whether or not it's worth adding another tank that takes different stock coils, and these stock coils don't sound so hot. Sooner get an RTA.

(The plus side to the above argument is that when a tank takes coils I already use, it's like a freebie! :p)

and hah, I always have a very serious debate with myself over what juice to use for the life of a given (stock) coil, and have dozens of tanks and toppers as a result of my compulsive flavor switching.

But i also just end up using the same thing 80% of the time, so idk why I bother with all the thinking lol

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
Haha I know your dilemma as well. So many good flavors, hate mixing flavors in the same coil, so I just end up having a bunch of tanks with different flavors (all while only choosing between a select few for the most part, so why do i even bother with all the thinking either). But I cant help it, the vape addiction :D

Swaglife81

Apr 16, 2017
When I bought my Smok Baby Beast which gives me great clouds, taste, etc my first 2-3 tanks leaked. I found out it was user error. I was tightening everything down to much. I can't say I recommend 3 TFV12's as a first time tank or even an all day vape tank. You are gonna run threw batteries and fluid like crazy. I run through 6-9 ml of juice working 12 hr shifts with just 3 breaks on the Smok baby. To each his own and you know a Smok coil can last you a week as a ADV, I could get 3 months out of 12 coils with one tank ADV. If you really need 3 tanks by all means but I think you should try the Big Baby Beast as a ADV.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've heard about the coil wires around the gasket on the 8 and now the 12. I switched to the RBA on both the 8 and the 12 that I wanted to try. With liquid I went to DIY and decided to stick with the different tobacco flavors so I just choose a tobacco flavor and add it to the tank when it gets low. I actually prefer the 8 to the 12, I like the 12 but it seems like over kill and is a bit much for me.

PvPHoe

May 9, 2017
When I bought my Smok Baby Beast which gives me great clouds, taste, etc my first 2-3 tanks leaked. I found out it was user error. I was tightening everything down to much. I can't say I recommend 3 TFV12's as a first time tank or even an all day vape tank. You are gonna run threw batteries and fluid like crazy. I run through 6-9 ml of juice working 12 hr shifts with just 3 breaks on the Smok baby. To each his own and you know a Smok coil can last you a week as a ADV, I could get 3 months out of 12 coils with one tank ADV. If you really need 3 tanks by all means but I think you should try the Big Baby Beast as a ADV.

I dont have the same experiences as you when it comes to your battery life/how many ml's you use in a 12hour shift/nor the time a coil last.

-I can go 2-3 days on a full charge I've come to learn. I usually let my battery come close to dying before charging it as I find general battery life of things last longer when doing that.
-I use a full tank every 2 days (I still fill it each morning just because, but I could definitely get through 2 days on a single fill)
-My coil is still fine after its first 10 days of use, will let you know when I have to change it out.

To each their own. The only reason I use a TFV12 is because its the first tank I found that can deliver the nicotine hit I like in a couple big pulls. I couldnt believe it when I actually got nic'd out the first time I used one. Felt a nic buzz that I hadnt felt in a long long time. Ya, theres probably dozens of other tanks out there that can deliver the same nic hit, but TFV12 was the first I tried and I fell in love

I bought 3 of them because I can change between flavors as I wish. And if one happens to have a bad coil, or I run out of juice for one, then I still have others that I can swap out until I can get that tank back up and running. Also, I like the consistancy of always having the same tank no matter what juice, all my settings are always done and never need to be changed, and I know the tank. Just preference at the end of the day.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
I've been looking for a RTA with a big juice capacity for a long time.
I've tried some like the Wismec REUX, Steam Crave Aromamizer PLUS and now with the TFV12.
Ever since I started with the RTA's, I had problems with leaking. And I still have, except the Kayfun's, Griffin's and now the TFV12 with the RBA.
The TFV12 was lying in my drawer for a long time and waiting for the RBA to arrive from China.
At least yesterday, I build it and ...
What a great surprise!
What a wonderful tank!
I've been reading a lot of negative opinions about that tank and I was not expecting much, but ...
This tank is perfect for my needs.
The flavour is nice, never mind the draw. I can easily draw "normal" or get a real HIT if I want to :)
And, most of all - it's NOT LEAKING - even though it doesn't have juice control :)
A great tank!

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I liked the TFV8 so much I that I gave the TFV12 a try, great on the clouds and flavor but a bit of over kill for me. I can keep it for a spare. The TFV8 is enough for me, I not long ago had a problem with it, my last attempt at a fix was adjust the glass tightness to the right place which is working. It takes a pair of .8 ohm SS coils so building those is next on my list. I do like the 25 mm size decks which makes it easier to fit coils in.

adzam016

Feb 3, 2017
If you're looking for another tank of similar quality, look at the Melo 300 from Eleaf (not to be confused with the Melo 3).

It produces very similar flavour to the TFV12 but way more clouds! Coils maybe last slightly less time at higher wattages but about the same if vaping around 100-160w.

I have both tanks as well as the TFV8 and the TFV8 baby and big baby.

Best tanks I have are the two baby beasts and Melo 300 purely based on reliability and consistency.

Eleaf mods are amazing and the Melo 300 is a game changer for Eleaf tanks, competing extremely well with Smok, especially for their first proper big tank!

Reactions: stols001

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I ordered an RBA deck for the TFV8 from Fastech then another from Myvaporstore, the one from Myvaporstore was okay, the one from Fastech was a RBA deck for the TFV12, the TFV12 deck is a lot larger. Anyways I put my own coils in the new RBA deck SS Claptons .30 ohms and its been working great, nice vapor and flavor. If I find time maybe I'll put new coils in the TFV12, I'd actually like to tone it down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread