Thanks TBob (and others too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
Just a quick note to say thanks to TropicalBob for his various posting on other tobacco alternatives. Some of these things I have heard of (snuff) and others are completely new to me (snus, stonewall dissolvables).

I've been giving snuff another go since someone mentioned the bullet device and I really like it now. The down side is that it's not always practical (e.g., blocked nose from a cold).

Today, I got my first package of snus and I'm liking it. The flavours are a little strange but the sensation curiously pleasant (in a way that Nicorette chewing gum was not despite the similar concept). Whether my imagination or not, I'm getting a buzz combined [paradoxically] with calmness from the snus that I don't get with e-cigs.

The next time I'm in the States, I'll be sure to try out these stonewall things too just to see what they're like.

The e-cigs are good from a habit point of view, i.e., replacement for analogs, but I'm not 100% comfortable with vaping all day every day so these alternatives are great and of course as a backup too should e-cigs become illegal.

After so many years of "quit or die" thinking, these alternatives are helping me believe that my analog days are truly behind me because, unlike official NRTs, they're all quite nice in their own ways.

Again, thanks for posting about these things.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You are so welcome and it pleases me that you're trying alternatives. The most consistent advice I've written on this forum in 15 months here is not to put all your "quit smoking" eggs in one basket. Have a variety of pleasurable alternatives to choose among.

You're playing it smart. And having a good time at the same time! Others should do the same.

I like my e-cigs, too, but I'd have a tough time if that's all I had to depend upon.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
... not to put all your "quit smoking" eggs in one basket. Have a variety of pleasurable alternatives to choose among.

Yes, it's quite ironic that a website about e-cigs should end up illuminating all these other alternatives that have been here all along and I didn't know about them! (And very damning on health professionals for not promoting a harm reduction philosophy.) My mother has been singing the praises of snuff for many years but I just couldn't handle the mess before hearing about the bullet on this website.

You're playing it smart. And having a good time at the same time! Others should do the same.

I'm ultra cautious which explains why I now have an insane amount of e-cig paraphernalia coupled now with two backups (snuff & snus) and I'm not discounting [real] pipe smoking yet although I'd prefer to stay away from lit tobacco just in case it puts me back onto analogs.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
Did you find it online, Kitabz?
I might want to try this.
Thanks in advance,

C.

I was going to buy from Northerner (Northerner.com, buy Snus online, order shipped within 24 hours express worldwide) since this is the one I've read about here the most but they didn't have the flavours I wanted in stock so I ended up getting a few tins from buysnus (Buy Snus, Order Swedish snus online world wide - BuySnus.com). I ordered on Tuesday night, they were posted on Wednesday and I got them today.

I should point out that I'm not sure how legal any of this is. I know that snus is not legal to sell in the UK but regarding importation for personal use, I really don't know. There are a few warnings on the website about them note being liable for customs confiscation so I don't take that as a good sign. I wouldn't dream of buying narcotics or anything traditionally illegal over the Internet but since the snus ban is stupid considering it's just tobacco, I have no qualms (and I'd happily say that in court).

smoking gnu

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2008
Wales
I’m still waiting for mine from northerner. I think it was posted on Wednesday by regular post , I had to wait for more stock, so I’m hoping I’ll get it tomorrow. I didn’t place a big order so if customs have it they can keep it. If I have to I’ll take a trip to Sweden and get some there.

I haven’t been able to find out if its legal to import snus for personal use in the UK. I have read on some forums that its fine as long as you don’t sell it on. But I really don’t know. Man they charge enough tax when they post it out so the EU is willing to take their cut of my money. There are plenty of people using snus in the UK so I don’t think there should be much of a problem, fingers crossed.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
Pardon the bump of a week old thread, but I also wanted to chime in with a mention of how much I've appreciated and personally benefited from TBob's presence here. I would not likely have discovered a whole bunch of really useful and pleasurable alternatives otherwise, and I've learned to pay special attention and respect to his thoughtful and consistently well informed posts.

smokingclam

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Punta Gorda, Florida
Pardon the bump of a week old thread, but I also wanted to chime in with a mention of how much I've appreciated and personally benefited from TBob's presence here. I would not likely have discovered a whole bunch of really useful and pleasurable alternatives otherwise, and I've learned to pay special attention and respect to his thoughtful and consistently well informed posts.
I'm with you on this Mohave. He has been a great help to me also. I'm looking forward to meeting up with him in person since he lives right near me and enjoy talking with him. I just need to find a free weekend to get together which isn't happening lately.:(

UkUsa

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2008
Smalltown Iowa, USA

I like my e-cigs, too, but I'd have a tough time if that's all I had to depend upon.

This is some good advice and yeah i started out good on the ecig. It got me away from analogs. I tried my first snus yesterday. Bought some of the camel frost. It was ok but a little overpriced and a little too sweet for my tastes.

Been checking out the Northerner site. Now they have a US based warehouse i may have put an order in for some different snus.

I did try some chew once .... didn't like it at all. I think i could get on ok with snus and as bob says. It's always good to have an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread