Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I ran a crazy experiment looking for that burning/smokey flavor of cigarettes. The method I used is not very practical, but I am hoping someone will come up with a better idea to imrove the process.

Here is what I did: I collected some of the paste that accumulates inside of a cigarette holder and mixed it with a mixture of alcohol and pg. Evaporated the alcohol, and wound up with a highly concentrated brownish solution. Added one drop per 1 ml of base, and man, what a flavor. It nailed that smokey flavor to a T.
I can vape it all day, all by itself !!

I do have some safety concerns since essentially I am inhaling tar from a burning cigarette. However some of the NETS we are vaping might contain basically the same material. I estimate each ml of final juice contains approx 8% of the residue from a single cigarette. Perhaps a better way would be to extract the flavor from unburnt tobacco and then torch the extract ...?

Any thoughts how to improve this process to make it more practical (or safer?)

DSC02133.JPG

DSC02142.JPG

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
How much tar is in a drop ? How much is the mixing ratio with pg and ethanol in the extract ? Did you mean a cold or heat extraction ? Tell me more, please....

I used cold Isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the paste, added twice the amount of pg and evaporated the alcohol. Wound up with 6 ml of flavored pg containing residue from the equivalent of 10 cigarettes. I used 1 drop of that flavor per ml of base. I need to add, that is not an ordinary cigarette holder. It is designed to entrap much of the gunk before it gets into your lungs. Widely available - on EBay for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonnydoe

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I know the cigarette holder, i have some. Perhaps i will try your receipe. Its interesting...

I have been thinking of using a vacuum pump to "smoke" the cigarettes for me by connecting it to the holder:) And just a note, in order to get the equivalent of 10 cigarettes, you will need to start with 18-20. The device will only catch 50% or so of the residue..

Last edited:

scotdc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2015
Vegas, Baby
Try a little Dirty Neutral Base from Inawera. Gives most tobaccos that ashy taste we had when smoking analogs. Your method, while it seems like it works flavor wise, might just introduce some of those carcinogens and other dangerous chemicals that we are all trying to give up by quitting smoking and becoming vapers.

Reactions: oplholik

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Try a little Dirty Neutral Base from Inawera. Gives most tobaccos that ashy taste we had when smoking analogs.

Been there, done that. I have extracted several tobaccos and none seem to replicate that smokey flavor like this does.

[/QUOTE]Your method, while it seems like it works flavor wise, might just introduce some of those carcinogens and other dangerous chemicals that we are all trying to give up by quitting smoking and becoming vapers.[/QUOTE]

That is what concerns me about this method. Almost any burning organic material will produce carcinogens, including over-burnt meat. On the positive side, I only vape 2-3 ml's a day. It translates to 20% of one cigarette.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotdc

SailCat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2009
Beaverton, OR
www.SailCat.com
While a paste created from cigarette residue by using rubbing alcohol as a solvent is not a combination that would be to my taste, I would urge you to use ethanol (lethal in high doses, like Tequila Night ... man, I could tell you stories) and Isopropyl alcohol (poisonous).

Just a thought, anyway. 'Wanted to pop in & say hi, Exchaner. I've missed yovur wit and wisdom ....

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
While a paste created from cigarette residue by using rubbing alcohol as a solvent is not a combination that would be to my taste, I would urge you to use ethanol (lethal in high doses, like Tequila Night ... man, I could tell you stories) and Isopropyl alcohol (poisonous).

Just a thought, anyway. 'Wanted to pop in & say hi, Exchaner. I've missed yovur wit and wisdom ....
I missed that, definitely don't use Isopropyl alcohol, it is poisonous.

Wikipedia said:
Isopropyl alcohol and its metabolite, acetone, act as central nervous system (CNS)depressants.[24] Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache,dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting,anesthesia, hypothermia, hypotension, shock,respiratory depression, and coma.[24]Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption; therefore, well-ventilated areas and protective gloves are recommended.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Ethanol is better than ISO for extracting flavors from tobacco leaves. However, this is not really an extraction process. It is just making the paste a little thinner using alcohol. I think the alcohol may not even be necessary since it seems the paste will easily dissolve in pg.

As to carcinogens, I fully agree the hazard is there. The only positive note, a person who vapes 2.5 ml a day like myself, it amounts to 20% of one cigarette per day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread