The ABCs of batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Nobody asked me these questions, but I feel the need to answer them anyway. I am certainly no expert, and have learned a considerable portion of what I know about batteries in just the last few weeks, and in no small part due the information in this forum, shared by the experts here. Since I have some electronics background and couldn't easily find some of the pertinent information related to modding ecigs, I hope to enlarge our knowledge base a bit, and cure insomnia at the same time.

How safe are lithium ion cells?

The potential for injury and considerable property damage is definitely a concern. One of our members just experienced an explosive fire in his back seat from a lithium. There's videos of exploding lithium batteries all over You Tube, and seemingly endless recalls of laptop batteries. But, before you go throwing your ecig in the ocean (wouldn't help, anyway, lithium ignites in water), I advise a longer perspective. Despite the media frenzy, I have only heard of one injury. An early cell phone battery burned the face of a man. Commercial ecigs are relatively safe if used normally. They incorporate a micro chip that prevents both over-discharge rates and under-voltage conditions of the battery. Their chargers (usually) prevent overcharging and subsequent thermal runaway. However, electronics can fail so the most frequent battery castastrophes occur while charging. DO NOT stick your charger on a window sill, on carpeting, or near any other flammable materials (especially curtains), just because it is near the most convenient outlet. Find a spot on a flame resistant counter (kitchen, bath) and don't leave the house or leave it charging overnight.

Also, don't charge until the green light comes on and then give it few more hours, like I have heard repeated so often. That is a myth leftover from the days of NiCds and NiMHs that have a 'memory effect'. Lithium ions have no such memory effect. None. Nada. They don't need to be 'topped off' like NiMHs, nor frequently discharge cycled like NiCds. They do like a moderate discharge to 3 volts or so every 100 charges to recalibrate the electronic surveillence circuit that monitors its charge status.

AS AN ASIDE: I was one of the first victims of lithium ion. In May of 2001, one week before the dot com crash, I bought 1000 shares of Lithium Ion Corp stock at $5. They are now worth $35. Unfortunately, I mean the entire 1000 shares are worth $35. That is a serious burn. But I digress.

What about modders?

Aaarrrgggh, matey, we're pirates, not girly-men. We only have one leg and one eye, anyway. But, if you happen to be a nerdy pirate, then it would be wise to always use 'protected' lithium ion cells.

First, all rechargeables in a can have a vent. When a cell overheats and the pressure starts to build, the vent opens and dissipates the excess pressure to avoid an explosive event. Unfortunately, the vent can fail. And, in the case of a Li-Ion cell, thermal runaway often overcomes the vent's ability anyway. Because of this particular concern in Li-Ions, a thermal fuse, or more commonly, a positive temperature coefficient (PTC) current limiting switch, is incorporated near the vent. This usually prevents the cell from reaching thermal runaway temperature (about 166C). Since LiPos aren't in a can, they do not explode, they simply have a flaming vent occurance, known in the trade as a 'Holy Crap... I don't want to be a pirate anymore' moment.

But on with the 'protected cell' lecture. As a modder, you have the choice of a protected or unprotected cell. They sell both types at most suppliers. This is the final line of defense for us idiots. It is essential to choose the protected type in any single cell situation. This protection consists of a tiny pcb with a micro, a voltage sensor, and an electronic switch. It's frenched into the cell, just under the anode plate. Its job is to prevent thermal runaway and over-discharging of the cell. It monitors current drain on the battery and shuts the circuit down in runaway conditions. It also shuts the circuit down to avoid an undervoltage occurance. Most importantly, it prevents overcharging. These functions do not interfere with normal use, they simply add a mandatory insurance policy. (Okay, okay, maybe the overcharge mode can tangle with the charger's cutoff circuit and the charger light can toggle colors, but that isn't much of a penalty since you can just consider the change from red as the 'charged signal' and don't have to wait until it is fully green.)

Why do they sell unprotected cells, if they are so dangerous?

Some people use the cells in packs for higher voltage systems and purchase a separate protection board that covers the entire pack. Other situations assign similar protection duties to an external micro board, like in commercial ecigs. But modders have removed that external protection when they replace the autoswitch with a manual switch.

So then, why lithium ion if it is not the safest?

For ecigs, we need a small, light weight, long lasting, large output battery. Lead acid batteries are obviously too large and heavy. Non-rechargeable (primary) batteries are all ruled out for their short lifespan/cost ratio. Rechargeable (secondary) alkaline, nickel-cadmium (NiCd), and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries don't have enough output. Think of the capacity of a battery (mAh) as the size of a bottle of water. Its output (discharge rate) is the size of the mouth of that bottle. While it is true that you can short circuit any battery (or tear the mouth off a bottle) and get the entire contents out almost at once, you will ruin the battery (or bottle) in the process. Another trick you might be contemplating is to strap a bunch of small mouthed bottles together to produce a large output, but then you run into the size and/or weight problems again.

Li-Ion comes out on top for energy density (size, weight), capacity, and output capability. And due to laptop, cell phone, and R/C popularity, are the most available cells.

What about lithium polymer?

You had to get fancy, huh? Well, lithium polymer (Li-Poly, Li-Po) is a close brother to traditional lithium ion (Li-Ion, LiCoO2) and uses the same cobalt oxide type cathode. The difference between the two is the polymer electrolyte of the Li-Po. It does have the best output (largest mouth) with huge discharge rates of up to 30C. The term 'C' refers to the nominal charge rate of a battery. In reality, it is just the capacity of the battery (in mAh) expressed as amperage. Thus, a 500mAh battery charged (or discharged) at 1.5C simply means a charging rate of 750mA (1.5 x 500mA).

Will they work for ecigs?

Sure, quite well. And Li-Pos don't need to be encased in a metal can, so their energy density is even better than Li-Ions. But they are usually only available as a flat pack, since their main customers are cell phone manufacturers and R/C enthusiasts in higher voltage packages. Modders are prone to shove their electronics into a tiny flashlight case or juice box. But as a pocket recharger, hmmm....

Is that it?

No. Lithium Manganese (LiMg204, spinel) and lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4, LFP) have recently been developed and hold some advantages over traditional lithium cobalt (mainly safety). But of course, then there are their disadvantages which mainly are that they aren't widely available yet, and they have different voltages and other characteristics which make them an extra hassle to use. But DX is starting to sell LiFePO4 cells in convenient sizes, so it may be time to experiment.

To spare us more clever dialog, how about a chart?

OK.

batterytypes.png

What about shelf life and self discharge rates?

Almost unimportant to modders. We use 'em and abuse 'em. It is interesting, though, that li-ions only last about two years, whether used or just sitting there. You would be best served buying your li-ions from a distributor with high turnover. Any store selling nixie tubes wouldn't be my first choice.

What about the notoriously poor battery life?

In commercial ecigs, the battery size is approximately AAAA (8mm x 40mm) with about 180 mAh capacity. Those five second vapes approach 5C, so the commercials are sacrificing battery life for greater than rated output. But we are modders, so to hell with that. When a battery mod is AA size (10mm x 44mm) or greater, the battery capacity jumps to at least 750mAh, and the output falls to only a little greater than 1C, bringing it back into spec (usually 2C) and gain a much longer battery life (unlike the commercial cigs false claim of 300-500 charging cycles).

Shut up and just give us a chart!

Of what? Okay, maybe this one. It has saved me a bit of time on occasion, when comtemplating which battery size to design around.

batterysizes.png

Be safe, mates.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Mogur--Thanks for a great post!! This part here was very interesting and cleared up alot of questions:

Why do they sell unprotected cells, if they are so dangerous?

Some people use the cells in packs for higher voltage systems and purchase a separate protection board that covers the entire pack. Other situations assign similar protection duties to an external micro board, like in commercial ecigs. But modders have removed that external protection when they replace the autoswitch with a manual switch.

Thanks again---Sun

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Sorry But This Is Wrong: Maybe Thats Why No One Asked You.

Start Quote:
"Also, don't charge until the green light comes on and then give it few more hours, like I have heard repeated so often. That is a myth leftover from the days of NiCds and NiMHs that have a 'memory effect'. Lithium ions have no such memory effect. None. Nada. They don't need to be 'topped off' like NiMHs, nor frequently discharge cycled like NiCds. They do like a moderate discharge to 3 volts or so every 100 charges to recalibrate the electronic surveillence circuit that monitors its charge status." End Quote

If You Don't Know What Your Posting

Start Quote: "I am certainly no expert, and have learned a considerable portion of what I know about batteries in just the last few weeks" End Quote

You Should Not Post It Here, You Are Causing Confusion To The Readers With Non-Facts...

RIGHT WAY On How To Charge Your Devices Battery: Always Follow The Manufacturers Battery Charging & Use Procedures. PERIOD!

For Proper Battery Information & Other Battery Information Please Use Wiki or Any Other Legitimate Site.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Thank you, Sun.

I thought How Stuff Works was public domain, but I just noticed their copyright on that image I posted. I guess I will have to remove it, it's not germaine to the info much, anyway. The charts are my own spreadsheets from many different sources, so they're ok.

Mogur--You are fine under the Fair Use Doctrine, just note the source---Sun

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I Am Sorry, I Can't Agree and This Is Still Wrong Battery Charging Information For E-Cigs & Most All Other Standard Type Lithium Batts & Other Batts!

Start Quote:
"Also, don't charge until the green light comes on and then give it few more hours, like I have heard repeated so often." End Quote

Thats My Personal Opinion and It Happens To Be All The Battery Charging Manuals That Come With The E-Cigs That I Have (Over 2 Dozen Different E-Cigs).

~Keep Vapin~!

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Sorry But This Is Wrong: Maybe Thats Why No One Asked You.

Start Quote:
"Also, don't charge until the green light comes on and then give it few more hours, like I have heard repeated so often. That is a myth leftover from the days of NiCds and NiMHs that have a 'memory effect'. Lithium ions have no such memory effect. None. Nada. They don't need to be 'topped off' like NiMHs, nor frequently discharge cycled like NiCds. They do like a moderate discharge to 3 volts or so every 100 charges to recalibrate the electronic surveillence circuit that monitors its charge status." End Quote

If You Don't Know What Your Posting

Start Quote: "I am certainly no expert, and have learned a considerable portion of what I know about batteries in just the last few weeks" End Quote

You Should Not Post It Here, You Are Causing Confusion To The Readers With Non-Facts...

RIGHT WAY On How To Charge Your Devices Battery: Always Follow The Manufacturers Battery Charging & Use Procedures. PERIOD!

For Proper Battery Information & Other Battery Information Please Use Wiki or Any Other Legitimate Site.

Wow, I thought this was supposed to be fun. I agree with you whole-heartedly, Cellmeister. Where did I say to not follow the manufacturers battery charging and use procedures? I back you 100% on that. If you reread my post, I was saying to not follow myths. Overcharging is very dangerous on lithium ion cells. Even on sophisticated chargers, the manufacturers don't recommend leaving li-ion in the charger after the charge cycle is complete. If noobs listen to that four hours after the light turns green crap, needless risk is taken.

-The time at which the battery stays at 4.20/cell should be as short as possible. Prolonged high voltage promotes corrosion, especially at elevated temperatures. Spinel is less sensitive to high voltage.

-3.92V/cell is the best upper voltage threshold for cobalt-based lithium-ion. Charging batteries to this voltage level has been shown to double cycle life. Lithium-ion systems for defense applications make use of the lower voltage threshold. The negative is a much lower capacity.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5A.htm

Top-Off Conditioning Mode (NiCd Packs Only) automatically conditions the 18-volt NiCd battery cells to extend their run-time and life. Milwaukee Li-ion batteries do not need Top-Off conditioning due to their built-in Performance Optimizing Circuit which constantly maintains cell balance.
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-59-2818-18-Volt-28-Volt-Lithium-Ion/dp/B000JD0F3K

From the Mini Cigarette User’s Manual-

Directions for the use of battery components and charger
In case the indicator light flashes , recharge the battery components with the accompanying charger. Please screw in the battery components into the charger. Two or three hours later, the battery components is fully charged when the indicator light turns green from red. Take out the battery components and cut off the charger’s power supply.

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Ahhh… found an earlier post by you, Cellmeister. Now I understand. You’re not defending the manufacturer’s directions; you’re defending your own.

U Did Not Say How Long U Charged It For. Leave It In The Charger for (4) Full Hours.

If It Does Not Work After That "Fling It" Several Times, Possible Juice In The Switch. Plenty Threads On Stuck Switches. Verify Its That Battery, Verify Your Charger Works With Another Battery (Green LED Does Not Mean Its Completely Charged, Only Up To Voltage, Has To Stay On The Charger A Few Hours), Try another Atom.

In that case, I do not agree with you. I recommend following the manufacturers suggestions. Let me explain how lithium ion chargers work. First, they charge at constant current until they sense the current fall off. Then they switch to a constant voltage mode and monitor that voltage until the cell reaches that voltage. At this point the cell has about an 80% charge, and the charging voltage masks the cell voltage, so the micro switches off the charger and senses the battery voltage via A/D converter. It then switches the charger back on and repeats this cycle every 20 seconds or so (depending on manufacturer), until the cell voltage reaches 4.2 volts. A few manufacturers vary this scenario, and instead use a shunt resistor to indirectly measure current via the voltage dropped by the shunt. Fairly uncommon, because the shunt is an extremely precision, low resistance, high wattage resistor and increases the manufacturing cost. In that event, the charging voltage is always constant and the topping charge occurs either when the charge timer expires, or the current falls below 10% of the current limit. The light doesn’t turn green on first voltage attainment, it only turns green after the cell is fully charged. Leaving the cell in the charger after that normally isn’t harmful, but why risk additional chance of over-charging? My suggestion is to follow manufacturers instructions to the letter, and not listen to clowns like me and you on a modders forum.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX1737.pdf

From App Note 40 “Lithium Ion battery charging using bipolar transistors” ZETEX semiconductors-

Recharge/top up charge
Li-Ion batteries are unable to absorb continuous over charge and therefore continuous trickle charge to fully charged battery is not recommended.
{Emphasis theirs}

http://www.diodes.com/_files/products_appnote_pdfs/zetex/an40.pdf

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
I wish someone would explain me why the DSE-801 user's manual specifies the batteries must remain on the charger for 8 hours prior to initial use. The exact Chinglish instruction says: "The first charging must be kept for 8 hours".

I noticed the light turns green quite quickly when initially charging newly delivered batteries.

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
I wish someone would explain me why the DSE-801 user's manual specifies the batteries must remain on the charger for 8 hours prior to initial use. The exact Chinglish instruction says: "The first charging must be kept for 8 hours".

I noticed the light turns green quite quickly when initially charging newly delivered batteries.

New cells come with a half-charge because at full charge their charging cycle life is reduced, and at low charges, self discharging could possibly over discharge the cell.
The high-power lithium-ion (scroll towards the bottom of the page)

Do what your manual says. I do not have an 801, and can't examine what type of charger circuit they use. It's possible that they do only bring the battery to first voltage attainment, like Cellmeister says, and fire off the green led then, and trickle charge with no supervision from that point. That would be a ridiculous situation, but hey, I'm only only guessing at this point. Do what the people who designed it say.

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Ahhh… found an earlier post by you, Cellmeister. Now I understand. You’re not defending the manufacturer’s directions; you’re defending your own. In that case, I do not agree with you. I recommend following the manufacturers suggestions. Let me explain how lithium ion chargers work. First, they charge at constant current until they sense the current fall off. Then they switch to a constant voltage mode and monitor that voltage until the cell reaches that voltage. At this point the cell has about an 80% charge, and the charging voltage masks the cell voltage, so the micro switches off the charger and senses the battery voltage via A/D converter. It then switches the charger back on and repeats this cycle every 20 seconds or so (depending on manufacturer), until the cell voltage reaches 4.2 volts. A few manufacturers vary this scenario, and instead use a shunt resistor to indirectly measure current via the voltage dropped by the shunt. Fairly uncommon, because the shunt is an extremely precision, low resistance, high wattage resistor and increases the manufacturing cost. In that event, the charging voltage is always constant and the topping charge occurs either when the charge timer expires, or the current falls below 10% of the current limit. The light doesn’t turn green on first voltage attainment, it only turns green after the cell is fully charged. Leaving the cell in the charger after that normally isn’t harmful, but why risk additional chance of over-charging? My suggestion is to follow manufacturers instructions to the letter, and not listen to clowns like me and you on a modders forum.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX1737.pdf

From App Note 40 “Lithium Ion battery charging using bipolar transistors” ZETEX semiconductors-

{Emphasis theirs}http://www.diodes.com/_files/products_appnote_pdfs/zetex/an40.pdf

I Really Don't Give A Flying Fluck. Your Wrong & You Can See The New Post's Coming Up Already With Battery Charging Confusion.

If You Know So Much You Would Have Known That Every Battery / Device Manufacturer & Engineer Has Their Specific Instructions For Their Batts, But Thats Why You Lost Out In The Business.

Back To The Books For You.

Now You Can See You Just Started Confusion & Questions, Hope You Answer To What You Started. I Tried Saving Your .... Yesterday Trying To Get The Thread Deleted, But They Decided To Let You Punish Yourself.

You Might Have A Few Hours Left To Delete The Post (You Have 24 Hours To Edit or Delete The Post If You Don't Know That, The Clock Is Ticking...) & Save Face, But Thats Up To You.

I am Not Trying To Bust Your Nuts, I Have Nothing Against You & Mean No Disrespect To You. So Take It As You Please.

So You Posted In The Modders Forum, Where Are Your Mods?

Anyone Who Has An E-Cig Will Know Your Wrong & Clueless..... :D

All The Real Lithium Battery Info Is Written By Real Experts Lithium-ion battery
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~Keep Vapin~!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread