Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not sure if this belongs in the lounge, or here. I’ll post it here because it’s science related, but the lounge is probably just as appropriate.

So I like to watch sciencey videos on YouTube and I ran into one that at least might be interesting. The FDA gets a bad rap and precious little trust around here. Perhaps justifiably.

The FDA has a history that is actually a bit ballsy and badass though.
This is the story of how the bill that created the FDA got enacted amongst other things.
Dr Wiley was awesome! I don’t know how great the FDA is now but there was a time when they really were.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No doubt some what they FDA and other regulatory agencies did was beneficial early on. The trouble is these agencies don't seem to understand the principle of diminishing return, or the concept that going too far with their regulations ends up being a net detriment rather than a net positive.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No doubt some what they FDA and other regulatory agencies did was beneficial early on. The trouble is these agencies don't seem to understand the principle of diminishing return, or the concept that going too far with their regulations ends up being a net detriment rather than a net positive.
A net detriment compared to eating borax? I suppose it’s where you pick your starting point.
My bigger worry is that the ability of big business to push around the FDA has eclipsed the FDA’s ability or desire to resist.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Most agencies were better in the past. I mean look at Social Security before it got raided. Yes, it is perhaps one of the most regressive taxes of all time (and, they tax you on your TAX, I don't quite get that) but at least it WORKED. It saved many a senior from cat food.

The one "agency" or at least "profession" that really was awful at the beginning was "Social Work" which happens to be my "profession." They were started by Margert Sanger who well, I cannot use the word I would use to describe her, but she was not a pleasant sort. She stated this "friendly visit" program where she and other "social workers" would visit the poor and degenerate" and would sterilize those who were mentally ......ed and drug addicted and whatnot.

Then, Social Work started CPS which is (Oh I guess I'm going to say net positive, but maybe not by much) who takes away your kids if you abuse them which yeah, that should be a net positive, only it's so inefficient, net negative, and just awful (not to mention, corrupt, 4 states in recent years got indicted for SELLING BABIES) and etc.

One really should evaluate things for what they are now and most thing suck, really.

Most Social Workers won't discuss these things but I will. I never worked for CPS, and I never sterilized ANYONE.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread