The "Alpha" from Altsmoke.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Earth
That has to be the most expensive Ego batt I have ever seen. $100+ for a mod that uses a 14500? You cant even vape at HV with that, I got two 1000mah Ego passthrough batts from China for $40, same Voltage, more mah, smaller package and with passthrough capabilities at a fraction of the price. Why is this worth the money? I can understand if you are a collector of devices or maybe you appreciate the craftsmanship of such a device but its kinda pointless IMO.

Not trying to be smug, but what is the advantage? The omega is the same price and is more versatile.

Neon

Last edited:

zexnu

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Illinois
That has to be the most expensive Ego batt I have ever seen. $100+ for a mod that uses a 14500? You cant even vape at HV with that, I got two 1000mah Ego passthrough batts from China for $40, same Voltage, more mah, smaller package and with passthrough capabilities at a fraction of the price. Why is this worth the money? I can understand if you are a collector of devices or maybe you appreciate the craftsmanship of such a device but its kinda pointless IMO.

Not trying to be smug, but what is the advantage? The omega is the same price and is more versatile.

Neon
you can vape at 6 volts with two LiFePO4 15270 or 7.4 with two IMR15270. it does void the warranty but to me it would be worth it, just my :2c: another great review ChRi$ :toast:

Timothy Cullen

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
Hanson, Kentucky, United States
I'm sorry but I gotta agree with neon. They even have ego kits now with replaceable batts(not made by joye) but they run on 14650s or something with around 1200mah for like 40 bucks. Really it's a step backward from the omega he should have went alpha first n for the price u could just get the omega not void a warranty and still run 3.7 n 6v
Just my 2 cents

zexnu

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Illinois
I doubt the E-power "ego" would run anything but 3.7. The 1050 mah 14650's looks like the biggest batt that will fit. Now for me, I like 6v with a 2.5 atty and the Alpha would give me a smaller option for just that. Where would we all be without all the cool options....sucking on the same pos and probably returning to the ole death sticks :cry:

Timothy Cullen

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
Hanson, Kentucky, United States
i feel ya zexnu but if you want that kind of small size and 6v flexiblity the madvapes tube mods the blue lighting specifically runs on a 14500 and uses 2 15270s to run at 6vs. its a nice tiny little mod with a horn style switch(sorry a little biased as i own one lol) but i gotta tell my main problem with the alpha and the omega and some top activated pvs is that top activation. it would just feel weird to me but thats what makes vaping great is that everybody has different taste.

zexnu

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Illinois
i feel ya zexnu but if you want that kind of small size and 6v flexiblity the madvapes tube mods the blue lighting specifically runs on a 14500 and uses 2 15270s to run at 6vs. its a nice tiny little mod with a horn style switch(sorry a little biased as i own one lol) but i gotta tell my main problem with the alpha and the omega and some top activated pvs is that top activation. it would just feel weird to me but thats what makes vaping great is that everybody has different taste.
I actualy like the button design lol, It was a bit odd at first but totally comfortable now, and i will definitely check out the blue lighting, can never have too many mods:thumbs:

Neon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Earth
I doubt the E-power "ego" would run anything but 3.7. The 1050 mah 14650's looks like the biggest batt that will fit. Now for me, I like 6v with a 2.5 atty and the Alpha would give me a smaller option for just that. Where would we all be without all the cool options....sucking on the same pos and probably returning to the ole death sticks :cry:

If you stack batteries in the Alpha you void the warranty, what cool options are you talking about with this device?

ComaKid

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Pennsylvania
First of all, Great review ChRi$. After all the talk it was nice to see this device in action.

But I don't really see the innovation or market for this device. Tons of Altsmoke fans have been flooding the forums with requested improvements like an actual drip well and a small form factor. Chad has obviously ignored all these requests and just pushed out a smaller Omega. Ive had a Silver Bullet for almost 2 years and I still love it to this day, but with new devices out there like the Provari and Reo's, Altsmoke is being left in the dust. This is just my opinion, please only take it as that.

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
I think Altsmoke's niche is bulletproof mod designs and I think the Alpha is a natural progression of that theme. It's not a revolutionary step by any stretch, but it expands their lineup nicely. I, for one, will pay a premium for a simple design that can withstand years of abuse over the technical wizardry of variable voltage and automated juice feeding.

I'm not making a crack at that tech at all. In fact I think they are necessary steps and part of what makes vaping so much fun for the diverse group that we are.

:toast:

noahstudios

Mar 28, 2011
Illinois
I very much hope that everybody with anything negative to say about the mods at altsmoke have actually owned one of those devices. The stuff chad makes are damn near indestructible. I have a buddy with one of the ego clones with replaceable batteries. He's on his second one because the first one fell off his lap while playing Black Ops (lol) and he didn't notice. He was on a rolling computer chair sitting on carpet and when he went to push back real fast to find his ego during a short respawn it got wedged under a wheel but didn't provide enough resistance to keep the chair from rolling over it and bending/cracking the casing. Obviously most people won't ever encounter a situation like that, but if it had been my Silver Bullet it would have broken the wheel off the chair before doing *any* sort of harm to the mod. To each their own, and I do mean that, but to pretend a mod is over priced because a cheaper mod can provide the same amount of vapor is plain naive. I've actually knocked my bullet into the dish water before, and simply pulled the batteries and gave it 12 hours to dry. Try that with a provari, you'll fry the main chip and there is no way in hell they are going to fix that for free. I just got an indulgence v2, that will produce *almost* the same quality of vapor, but the unit is so cheap and crappy feeling I'm just going to turn around and sell it. I'm super pumped for the alpha just because I know it feels sturdy and a mechanical mechanism means you never have to worry about pressing the button one day and realizing it's shot. Peace of mind alone is worth the money. Not to mention, 100 bucks for a quality mod is actually pretty cheap. How many fingers does a GG cost these days? lol

ComaKid

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Pennsylvania
"Tons of Altsmoke fans have been flooding the forums with requested improvements like an actual drip well and a small form factor."
"Chad has obviously ignored all these requests and just pushed out a smaller Omega."

Isn't a smaller Omega a step towards small form factor?

Obviously the primary advantage of the 14500 over a 18650 is its small size. In this video you can see where the height of the device is only marginally shorter than the Omega. If your going to deal with the shortcomings of a 14500, you want a super small device. Why is the top cap so big? The alpha had the potential to be the "ultimate stealth 14500 mod" on the market. With only a marginal height difference, why not just carry a Omega or Silver Bullet?

Like I said above, Ive had me Silver Bullet for a very long time and its an amazing device. I'm sure the Alpha is just as sturdy and built to last. I just feel there is a lack of innovation and heavily requested changes were ignored.

Please note this is just my opinion and isn't an attempt to offend.

noahstudios

Mar 28, 2011
Illinois
You're right, it's not a whole lot shorter. That really where to each his own comes in. I carry my Bullet all day long, and none of my pants have an issue with the length when in my front pocket. The width is really what I need cut off. I wear slacks to work, and the bullet is fat and protrudes to the point of looking like, *hmm* *hmm*, something else. I'm really pumped about the alpha being slimmer. Just my look it will end up looking like a smaller, *hmm* *hmm*. lol.

Neon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Earth
You're right, it's not a whole lot shorter. That really where to each his own comes in. I carry my Bullet all day long, and none of my pants have an issue with the length when in my front pocket. The width is really what I need cut off. I wear slacks to work, and the bullet is fat and protrudes to the point of looking like, *hmm* *hmm*, something else. I'm really pumped about the alpha being slimmer. Just my look it will end up looking like a smaller, *hmm* *hmm*. lol.

LMAO, Thats one way to look at it. Great post :)

Neon

noahstudios

Mar 28, 2011
Illinois
I have my Alpha now, so no more speculation. The pictures don't really tell an accurate tale of how much smaller this thing is. It's considerable, and until you hold one in comparison, you won't really be able to tell. It feels almost non-existent compared to my SB, and it's a rock star at 6 volts. Yes it voids your warranty, but we're talking a battery tube and a mechanical switch that is super easy to work on. What can really go wrong with 6 volts? I'll tell you what, if you use unprotected batteries and don't watch them, the thing could blow up. OBVIOUSLY altsmoke won't be covering that. I'm fairly certain that if a part breaks, which I can't imagine thats possible, they will still work with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread