• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The anti smoking Nazis strike again,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
OK so Im no longer a Smoker, but I wont stand by silently while the Smokers are thrown under a Bus yet again- in any case their battles are ours as well, we are treated with the same rudeness and contempt as they.
Big news this Morning is the NSW Health Minister is now banning what has been banned in QLD the Nanny State for a long time.
She was gleeful on the News this morning- no more smoking in Pubs and cafe's, outdoor areas, ect-
She specifically wants the Hospitals to ban smoking in their grounds , thus adding to the stress of patients-but the zealots are deficient in compassion but big on restricting everyone and everthing they dont like, thats nothing new,

Amazing really, the fact is that there is no evidence that I know about that cigarette smoke does anything but stink the place up- also despite cruel and frenzied attempts to give animals Lung Cancer by forcing them to smoke no one has managed to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong!
So now there will be no relaxing in a grassy park with a ..., or at the beach, or if you are incarcerated in Hospital and manage to drag yourself outside for a puff.
I guess if your an anti, the fact that people can be fined for doing something you hate is reward enough- feel proud.
(BTW, first to coin the phrase "Passive Smoking" was Hitlers Third Reich).

As regards banning Smoking anywhere on the grounds of Hospitals, here is a Letter to the Irish Times written
by a Dr with empathy and compassion-

Which is a lot more than I can say for the NSW Health Minister-

Clampdown on hospital smoking - The Irish Times - Sat, Jan 14, 2012

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
That's an awesome, compassionate, well-reasoned letter! I've been in smoking rooms at airports, some of them extremely well ventilated, others stinking cesspools. But at least they recognize that tobacco IS a legal drug & people ARE addicted to it. Other airports force you way outside - far from the doors forcing you to endure the TSA indignity repeatedly, esp. if your flight is late.

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
That's an awesome, compassionate, well-reasoned letter! I've been in smoking rooms at airports, some of them extremely well ventilated, others stinking cesspools. But at least they recognize that tobacco IS a legal drug & people ARE addicted to it. Other airports force you way outside - far from the doors forcing you to endure the TSA indignity repeatedly, esp. if your flight is late.

Hi CountSmackula. Yes they can make smoking rooms that clean the air better than the air outside if they have a mind to do it,
I think its especially vicious and sadistic to deprive Hospital Patients of cigarettes as soon as they are admitted, they (and their families)are going through enough stress without having to stop smoking as well..what a time to demand cold turkey.
We never hear the end of non smokers demands that they" have a right to breathe clean air' ect,
So they do, but smokers also have a right to smoke cigarettes , and they also have a right to be treated with the same respect as everyone else, instead of the campaign thats been going on to treat smokers like Pond Scum...

Deblym

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2012
Sask
Just wanted to pop in and say I live in Canada and I work in a hospital...they banned smoking on the grounds.....we arent even allowed to smoke in our cars on hospital property.....so on our coffee breaks we all troop out to our cars and go off property. And pass patients hooked up to iv lines walking out to the road. Here it gets to -40 in the winter so it's really not a good thing. Hope your govt is kinder than ours.

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Hey, I believe you...but I'd be interested to see some documentation on that...for my own future use!

Hello Paul, here you go.
"The term "passive smoking" ("Passivrauchen") was coined in Nazi Germany.[3] Research projects funded by the Nazis revealed many disastrous effects of smoking on health"

Anti-tobacco movement in Nazi Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
from the Wikipedia. Its a good read-
Hitler was a heavy Smoker in his youth- later he bacame obsessive about Smoking, similar to the frenzied morality we see in many people today,
The anti smoking movement has very very ugly roots, Anti Semitism was a big part of it as well..
Like I said, ugly.

(PS Smokescreens by Richard White has some eye popping facts about the anti's movement)

Last edited:

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Just wanted to pop in and say I live in Canada and I work in a hospital...they banned smoking on the grounds.....we arent even allowed to smoke in our cars on hospital property.....so on our coffee breaks we all troop out to our cars and go off property. And pass patients hooked up to iv lines walking out to the road. Here it gets to -40 in the winter so it's really not a good thing. Hope your govt is kinder than ours.

Deblyn, I so feel for you and the patients and staff there,
Ive been in their situation in Hospital, believe me...
(But at least here in Australia its warm!)

Uncanny how heartless and uncaring our so called Health administraters are when it comes down to it. They who one would suppose would to be so full of compassion,

Last edited:

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
In essence she wants to ban smokers from health care. Smokers will die even from non-smoking related illnesses. She is going to extremes to prove that smoking kills, even if she has to kill them herself via laws.

Love the letter by the Dr. Btw. Thanks for sharing.

The antis would just love to ban Smokers from health care-
They havn't actually demanded this yet- but they salivate at the thought..I once sat transfixed while 2 Nurses, married to each other, went on for half an hour about how they would love to see anyone who smoked barred from recieving treatment in Public Hospitals.
Chilling isnt it,

soundasleep

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Mulgrave - VIC - AU
Unfortunately they don't seem to need to justify it as the level of science education amongst the general public is so bad people just swallow any crap they throw out there.

"No Safe Level of Tobacco Smoke Exposure?" - Pure BS. There may be no KNOWN safe level, but every chemical on the public has a safety threshold - it's just a matter of somebody spending enough money to find out what that level actually is.

I'd be perfectly happy for smokers to be denied public health care for a tobacco related disease on the condition that all taxes and duties are removed from tobacco products. Smokers would easily be able to afford their own healthcare then ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Rocklin, California just banned smoking outdoors ... anywhere ... even in your own backyard! The complaints came in from a group who resented the fact that cigarette smoke wafted over the fence into THEIR yard. My first thought was, "What about the charcoal smoke from a grill? Doesn't that contain carcinogens? Isn't carbon monoxide deadly?"

How long will it be before we ban livestock because of methane production? Will we one day walk around in helmets with oxygen tanks because we are afraid the breathe plain old air?

If I lived in Rocklin, I'd be pressed to attend the city council meeting and bring up a resolution to ban outdoor barbecue and the cranking of vehicles within 50 feet of a child, especially in an enclosed garage. My proposal would be that kids are exposed to CO in an enclosed space such as a garage and should have to remain in the house until the car is moved out into the driveway. Maybe we should require all people who drive or walk near areas where cars are present to wear gas masks. (satire)

Rocklin: California town to ban smoking ANYWHERE outside, even in your backyard | Mail Online

Last edited:

pounder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
tucson,az
For me it is not about smoking or vaping it is about the governments of most countrys in the world controling every facet of our lives. In America we have to wear seat belts when we drive our cars or get a big fat fine.Helmets when we ride motor cycles In New York City the Mayor wants to control salt intake,what type of oil your fried foods are cooked in, and it is always the old song and dance of the government just wanting to protect us.Untill the people of the world wake up and make their governments fear them,we can all kiss our liberty goodby.

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Unfortunately they don't seem to need to justify it as the level of science education amongst the general public is so bad people just swallow any crap they throw out there.

"No Safe Level of Tobacco Smoke Exposure?" - Pure BS. There may be no KNOWN safe level, but every chemical on the public has a safety threshold - it's just a matter of somebody spending enough money to find out what that level actually is.

I'd be perfectly happy for smokers to be denied public health care for a tobacco related disease on the condition that all taxes and duties are removed from tobacco products. Smokers would easily be able to afford their own healthcare then ;)

Soundasleep damn right people are believing any sort of crap, thats the scary part. Thats the great enabler of junk science,
but no one calls them on it-ever-

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Dave, why does no one mention that particles from exhausts are way more dangerous to lungs than cigarette smoke? ditto fumes and smoke from barbeques, a gas mask around roads and barbeques isnt so far fetched as far as Health is concerned,
I hope you can get some support there to stop whats happening where you live!
How can people accept that?

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
For me it is not about smoking or vaping it is about the governments of most countrys in the world controling every facet of our lives. In America we have to wear seat belts when we drive our cars or get a big fat fine.Helmets when we ride motor cycles In New York City the Mayor wants to control salt intake,what type of oil your fried foods are cooked in, and it is always the old song and dance of the government just wanting to protect us.Untill the people of the world wake up and make their governments fear them,we can all kiss our liberty goodby.

Pounder, I agree- The prohibitionists are chewing away at our freedoms until within a few years we will have none left- We all have a perfect right to be fat, thin, drunk, excercise or not, eat junk food, smoke, drink and generally enjoy life however we want, why dont they leave us alone?
There is a lot of telling people lately that their kids are too chubby as well- the guilt button is the wowsers greatest weapon, ..to justify peoples self determination being removed, these loons insist that they have the right to save us from ourselves.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Dave, why does no one mention that particles from exhausts are way more dangerous to lungs than cigarette smoke? ditto fumes and smoke from barbeques, a gas mask around roads and barbeques isnt so far fetched as far as Health is concerned,
I hope you can get some support there to stop whats happening where you live!
How can people accept that?

I live on the East coast. The article about Rocklin, CA was in today's national news. I suspect that there will be an uprising against city government over the new ban. Control over cigarettes has played to the point where anyone who dislikes it gets their way. I guess some of that is the change from 75% smokers in the 70s to under 20% in the 00s. Numbers seem to be able to get things passed. We have lots of tobacco haters in the U.S. who exercise their rights as far as they can take them.

I just know that the next thing we will hear from Rocklin will be the guy next door to the complainer who calls the cops to tell his neighbor to shut down his barbecue grill because it's putting carbon monoxide and particles of combustion into the air and he can't allow his kids to play in the yard! He'll probably complain about the stinky barbecue sauce that guy uses with the vinegar smell, too. Popcorn anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread