The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The Attack of the Giant Pythons!

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by Mary Kay, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mary Kay

Mary Kay ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Well now I have heard it all, South Florida has pythons, They normaly get to 20 feet in the wild. But the news is reporting 'Giant" pythons like it is a SyFy Movie of the Week! it makes it sound as if walking down the street you could be attacked! I am more afraid of gators! We had walking fish in our yard after a bad rainstorm, those are weird looking fish!

'Python Patrol' targets giant snakes of South Florida - CNN.com

2. rocketvapor

rocketvapor Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2009
    Rockledge, FL
    MaryKay - This whole thing got started because one irresponsible fu$%nut around my way decided to cover his python's aquarium with a blanket, and it got out and strangled his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter. While a $100 permit is required to keep these snakes in Florida, this guy didn't have the required permit, not that it would have mattered.

Be it a python, pit bull, or chimpanzee, irresponsible owners will always ruin it for everyone else. The reason pythons are running rampant in south Florida is because stupid people release them in the wild when they get too big to handle (which pythons invariably do). Also, recent (and not so recent) hurricanes ruined the holding facilities of exotic animal importers in south Florida because they weren't built properly to begin with.

Sorry to get on a soapbox here, but people are stupid; animals are just doing what they do.

Hope you don't find any pythons (or alligators, for that matter) in your yard! Hang in there! :mad:

3. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Rocket, don't I know it! We had some iquana's around here, somebodies pets. I saw 3, I think (they look alike except for size), but the animal control guy said there were 6! The tore a screen porch apart in an effort to get to some dog food. I didn't see them after the winter cold. Yep, people are idiots.
    I don't doubt they are dangerous, but the way the news guy was talking you would think they are taking over Miami! not the glades.

4. VA Slim

VA Slim Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Boynton Bch., FL USA
    Front page of Local Section of Palm Beach Post today, "17-foot python that had taken up residence around Okeechobee is killed". It weighed 200 lbs.!!!!!! Scarey stuff!

5. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    I saw it on the news. That isn't a snake...it's some kind of alien!!! They said it was 2 ft in diameter.

I used to worry about the alligators getting my 10 pound dog...guess I'd better add snakes to the list too.

6. ErikNYC

ErikNYC Full Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Melbourne FL
    My GF told me about this the other night and shes worried because we have two dogs (both Dobermans) that we let run free in our fenced in yard.

The problem is we have a pool which attracts small snakes, turtles and tons of frogs and behind my property is undeveloped woods.

I sure hope those Pythons dont make their way up to Brevard.

7. Kate51

Kate51 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2009
    Argyle Wi USA
    OMG, I can't imagine having a family of those things around, good grief.
    We don't have pythons here, but we do have spotted adders that climb up the vines on our house and rob bird's nests. They do the same thing however, they coil around their prey and suffocate them. One of our cats was accosted by a large one, as big as my husbands' arm and 5' long! a couple years ago. No bones broken, but he laid around pretty sore for a few days. Squeezed him so hard he pooped all over his backside. Sounds gross, but if that hadn't happened we would never have known what happened to him. Apparently a couple of our other cats assisted in that attempted murder, they all came running inside together, none of them wanted to go outside for a few days, are now very wary of anything long and cylindrical, even just a piece of rope freaks them out. We did find the one that did that to my guy! No sympathy was extended, he went 10-42, as we say. Out of service!
    I'd be carrying machete with me if I were you MK!!! Indiana Jones style, just shoot it!

8. Macki

Macki New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Bradenton, Fl
    Hi
    I from Bradenton, just south of Tampa and they caught a 17 ft one here, not far from a Sweetbay Grocery store in a drain pipe.

9. SudokuGal

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    Hi Macki! I'm in Ruskin...make sure they keep the Bradenton snakes there. <grin>

10. pythonsweb

pythonsweb Full Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2009
    Orlando
    whats wrong with Pythons?

11. MissVapor

MissVapor Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    There have been several types of snakes in my yard the past few weeks..In fact I went outside a week ago to pick up my dogs doodoo and as I bent over to reach for it, there was a baby rattlesnake shaking his tail at me right next to my flip flop..I almost thought it was just a worm, but no it was a damn pygmy rattler no bigger than a size of a pen! He just slithered under the grass blades..ughh!

12. Partbug

Partbug New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That is not good I think a snake has many many babies be careful. And Hi to all from Sebing fl

13. SudokuGal

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    Welcome PartBug. Those pgymy rattlers are a real problem right now...apparently there have been about 8 or 9 bites in the TampaBay area within the past couple of weeks.

Also, did you hear that the huge python was actually 'planted' by the guy who killed it? It was his own snake and he wanted to draw attention the problem of people letting snakes out. What kind of logic is that?????

14. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Crazy logic I think!
    Hi Partbug, Welcome to ECF and the Florida Vapor's Club. When you get a chance you will need to join to continue posting in this area. Just click on the link below to join!

Florida Vapors Club

15. 13ways

13ways Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Well I guess people like that are why Florida has its own title on Fark.com.

16. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
  17. SudokuGal

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    I saw that sucker on TV...HUMONGOUS!!! Eats like 7 to 8 bunnies a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.