CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There's more:

QuarterWatch (3rd quarter 2008)
Safety concerns with generics, Chantix aggressive behavior, and more

From the May 7, 2009 issue

Reaction Types

Psychiatric side effects. Varenicline (CHANTIX), a drug to help quit smoking, continued to account for more reports of serious psychiatric side effects than any other prescription drug. Despite a reduced number of adverse event reports for varenicline in the third quarter, this drug still ranked fourth among all prescription drugs for causing serious injury. Although the FDA and manufacturer have already warned consumers about the possible risk of suicidal behavior, the case reports also suggest a possible link to violence towards others. Table 2 provides the terms used in reports when describing this aggression and violence. Since the 2006 approval of varenicline, QuarterWatch has identified 30 cases that describe physical assaults, 148 cases that mention homicidal thoughts, and 331 cases of aggression. (One case could include multiple symptoms.)

Safety concerns with generics, Chantix aggressive behavior, and more

ckc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
UK
  • ckc
  • Deleted by Lightgeoduck
  • Reason: OP's request

JoeChemo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, USA
Back in 2008, after 39 years of smoking, Chantix got me off cigarettes for over three weeks. I stopped smoking before the end of the first week. By the end of week two I was hanging in there despite all the extremely weird dreams I'd been having. I was so pumped that I hadn't had a cigarette and really didn't want one. But after four weeks on Chantix, I began to notice that everything and everyone annoyed me. A day or two later I began behaving irrationally and feeling paranoid. When I left work for lunch one day, I decided I was never going back. Instead, I went home, googled Chantix and found the FDA warning. I immediately stopped taking the drug and bought a pack of analogs.

dandelionwings

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2011
Lexington, KY
in my very humble opinion, only

i feel that all medications, including Chantix should be given with open dialogue between the healthcare professional and the patient. it's important that the doctor disclose the risks to the best knowlege that they have [followed by the pharmacist that fills the medication] and that the patient also take an active role in their health. [as exampled by joechemo looking into the chantix when i started to feel "odd"].
most medications come with a long list of side effects and not every doctor can know all of them--thus we have the safety net of pharmacists that drug interactions and side effects are their business. often a doc will call the pharmacist for this time of information.
i love chantix and i hate chantix. the second time i quit smoking was with the aid of chantix [for 1 month]. if anyone has ever had any history of depression or suicidal thoughts or actions, this is NOT a medication for you. there are a few side effects that should go away with the use of the medication such as nausea and slight headaches [in many cases]. there are a few side effects that are warning signs that do not go away and may progressively get worse such as sleeplessness or bad dreams. if a patient called into our office and said they were having bad dreams or couldn't sleep after starting the chantix, we just told them to stop it immediately and then would bring them in to see if other smoking cessations may be a viable option.
for me, however, the problems started out so subtle that i didn't realize it was the medication. small arguments at home that were hard to pinpoint as a bad day, chantix, or lack of nicotine in general. i quit smoking. i went to "cheat" and bought a pack, twice, on it and would start smoking and realize that i didn't want it. both times, i pulled over and handed the pack to people that were walking down the side walk smoking. but by the end of the month, in my head---my relationship at home was falling apart, i thought we were over several times. [i'm sure i would have made that a reality had i continued]. everything in my life, [inside my head] was falling apart. i knew enough about this medication going in that i would constantly talk myself through these episodes by telling myself that it was just the chantix. but when i had to start reminding myself that my children deserved to grow up with a mom, that was when i knew that i had to stop the medication.
it was becoming so constant that i was afraid that i would either not realize it was the medication or that i would not care, either way it wasn't pretty. i quit the medication and i bought a pack of camels.
fortunately, my doc and i were close [since he was one of the docs that i worked with]; but it was horrible to tell him that i started smoking, [again]. after all, i worked pulmonary. i'll never forget how he turned an embarrassing situation as an opportunity to pat me on the back and told me, that every attempt at quitting was another step towards success.

i've known a ton of success stories with this medication. but for many, i think you really need to know yourself and to be smart enough to stop it, if it's having undesirable effects. none of the doctors that i've worked with ever use this as a first line to quit smoking.

Newbz

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
US
I think the word is starting to get out that maybe Chantix is not a wonder drug for everyone.

Check out SNL's take on the medication. Kind of reminded me of my little experiment with the drug. Enjoy. ;)

Chantix, Just Keep Smoking:
Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Chantix

BTW, violence that is a direct result of a stop smoking med is no joke. Guess I just enjoyed that the word is getting out in popular media that maybe it's a good idea to check out other stop smoking options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread