sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
The cigarette you can smoke everywhere - even in class

From Ohio State University
The cigarette you can smoke everywhere - even in class - Covering The Ohio State University Community (OSU) -- Newspaper -- Uweekly.com
By Christina Sochacky

With its slender white body and glowing amber tip, the electronic cigarette can easily pass for a regular cigarette. It even releases what looks like remnants of white smoke. Don’t be fooled, because what you see is not a real cigarette, it is an electronic cigarette.

According to a published report, when using an electronic cigarette, the smoker is not actually smoking. The electronic cigarettes are battery powered and they vaporize nicotine, so you are actually inhaling the nicotine vapor. You’re getting the nicotine hit, but without the toxic smoke and contents of the cigarette and tar.

In a recent interview on “The Early Show”, Dr. Jonathan Whiteson from New York University’s Cardiac and Pulmonary Wellness and Rehabilitation Program, said there is no proof these cigarettes are safe. The cigarettes are made in China, are unregulated and have not been approved by the FDA. It is unknown how much nicotine is actually in the cigarette and we are unaware of the contents within the vapor. One may ask: Could the electronic cigarette be worse for you than cigarettes?

According to Whiteson, there is a good chance it could be worse than regular cigarettes. Manufacturers seem to think it is a safer bet, but there has been no analysis done of the vapor.

Johnny Watts, who is a current electronic cigarette user, said he started using the e-cigarette after a friend introduced him to the device. “A friend of mine was telling me about it and I decided to try it out,” he said. “I was a regular cigarette smoker before I started using the e-cigarette, so instead of smoking regular cigarettes, I use the e-cigarette everyday. I have been using the e-cigarette for three months now and I will never go back to smoking regular cigarettes if I don’t have to.”

According to a national study, fewer college students (one in five) are smoking. The tobacco industry plays a huge role in fluctuating rates of college student smoking. Roughly 20 percent of today’s college students who smoke are regular smokers. According to a published report, one study found that students at 109 of 119 schools surveyed reported seeing tobacco promotions in an on-campus event. tobacco industry documents revealed campaigns to target young adults during transitional life stages, such as moving from high school to college or work. Tobacco companies believe those life stages are a perfect time to develop new behaviors such as smoking. In an attempt to utilize this vulnerability, tobacco companies sponsor promotions in bars and nightclubs in an attempt to make young adults view smoking as a social norm. That may move them from experimenting with cigarettes to becoming pack-a-day smokers.

According to the American Lung Association, each year 440,000 people die in the U.S. from tobacco use. Nearly one of every five deaths is related to smoking. Cigarettes kill more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide and illegal drugs combined. At least 30 percent of all cancer deaths including cancers of the lung, larynx (voice box), oral cavity, pharynx (throat) and esophagus are attributed to smoking cigarettes. It is a contributing cause in the development of cancers of the bladder, pancreas, liver, uterine cervix, kidney, stomach, colon and rectum, and some leukemia. Secondhand smoke causes almost 50,000 deaths in adult nonsmokers in the United States each year, including approximately 3,400 from lung cancer and 22,700-69,600 from heart disease.

According to smokingeverywhere.com, the electronic cigarette is driven by a micro-electronic technology. The actual cigarette body is made up of three parts: a nicotine cartridge, an atomization chamber and a smart chip with a lithium battery. The atomization chamber device creates a vapor-like smoke when puffed on, just like a real cigarette. This vapor is a result of the nicotine found in the cartridge, heated up by the atomizer device and creating vapor smoke, but without any smell of smoking real tobacco. This is when the smoker gets the nicotine hit and the smoke-likeillusion, but without having to smoke a real cigarette.

The electronic cigarette is eco-friendly, non-flammable and can be smoked anywhere- yes, it can be smoked anywhere. The electronic cigarette can be smoked in restaurants, bars, in the airport and it can even be smoked while you are sitting in class.

The electronic cigarette has many perks and smoking real cigarettes is something that is unhealthy for someone’s body. So before you take your chances with the electronic cigarette, talk to your doctor and get started with a program that helps smokers kick the nasty habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread