The "Cola" Poll

Nu-Calgon or similar machine cleaner, Does it work for you?

• No, it doesn't work.

• It works good but not like new.

• Cleaned to like new or better status.

• Have used the method and have experienced side effects from vaping.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonZeph

May 14, 2009
Apex, NC
I agree. I will leave that poll for someone who knows more about all the cleaning method. From what I read the I have seen the following cleaning techniques:

Blowing
Blowing w/ canned air
Running under cold water
Running under warm water
Running under warm water w/ detergent
Running under hot water
Boiling w/ water
Boiling w/ vinegar
Boiling w/ citrus/acid type
The cola method
Sonic cleaning (Jewelry Box)
Dry burn method
Baking soda with vinegar

If I'm missing any let me know and be specific. Don't really care if it works or not, trying to gather the methods to create a decent poll for a people want to see working cleaning methods.

Last edited:

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
I only clean mine when they start to taste bad..usually 2 weeks in.

I remove from batt and sit the atom on the sink wick end up.
I fill with lemon juice and let it drain...about 1 minute.
I complety fill with baking soda.
I pour vinegar in and let bubble.
Repeat with vinegar.
Let sit overnight.
Rinse with hot tap water for a min or two.
New, Clean atom!

Rob

Tin Cup

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
NE Ohio
I'm not sure we're all on the same page here. Which type of cleaning are we talking about, because there are two totally different goals in "cleaning an atomizer".

The first type is getting rid of the e-liquid that gets in the wrong places in your atomizer. You can clean this out by blowing on it, setting it upside down overnight, or soaking it in just about anything. All of these things will clean out the atomizer.

The other type of cleaning is trying to get rid of the black, carbon-like "gunk" that builds up on the heating coil. This "gunk" is what the NU-Calgon Ice Machine Cleaner was used for. For the most part, Nu-Calgon works - but only if you exclusively use VG. For PG users, the only method that was found for getting rid of the gunk was to burn it off.

Exogenesis has some great posts on burning off the PG residue, if you're interested.

Last edited:

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
Cleans some like new but others seem to have side affects or are just to far gone. Perhaps it eats away the wicking material under the bridge or perhaps it just burns away by itself over time. I have used many times when smoke production became weak and restored it to like new smoke but even so after a month it only restores partial smoke production. Large flakes of black gunk do appear after a soak but it may also deteriorate the wiring or solder over time. I have limited it to a one hour soak but variable are just to many to say it does not harm the parts over time. One thing is for sure, other then burning off it does extend the usable life of the atty. I use the burn cycle on my 4081 but have no real option on my Dura except manual button and it does not seem to have any (discernible)affect on it.

All attys that I have had work differently even when new, some are great and some just suck. I have one 4081 that is about 7 weeks old that works like new and one replacement atty for my dura that still works great but they all have a different draw to them so there is no comparing even the same ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread