The Curse of the Vaper's Tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I've had Vaper's Tongue quite a few times over the 6-7 years, but usually it just happens that I can't really taste juices that much and the flavour eventually comes back.

At the moment I have it where things actually taste disgusting - like the coils gone but it isn't that because I've changed them on more than one tank with more than one juice.

Anyone have any old wive's remedies for this that don't involve smelling coffee, drinking loads of water or using mouthwash and the like? Or am I really just going to have to go without vaping for a while do you reckon? :ohmy:

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've had Vaper's Tongue quite a few times over the 6-7 years, but usually it just happens that I can't really taste juices that much and the flavour eventually comes back.

At the moment I have it where things actually taste disgusting - like the coils gone but it isn't that because I've changed them on more than one tank with more than one juice.

Anyone have any old wive's remedies for this that don't involve smelling coffee, drinking loads of water or using mouthwash and the like? Or am I really just going to have to go without vaping for a while do you reckon? :ohmy:
I drink lemonade or eat something citrusy like oranges or lime. I always have vapers mouth, not just tongue, specially when I have a popping coil, I can feel it in my mouth. If it doesn't stop after a couple of tanks I rewick. That's what turns my mouth into worse. Once it stops popping I can taste juice better.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Vape unflavored juice for a few days to a week. Worked for me when I vaped flavored juices.

Now I pretty much just vape unflavored juice and don't have that problem. :)

Seriously though, switching to unflavored allowed me to 'reset', still got my nic fix. Eventually, I came to like unflavored and now actually prefer it.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Early in my vaping venture I took care of this problem by always having 2 tanks with very different flavors in them. Like a chocolate custard in one and something fruity in another. It helped for whatever reason. For me, flavors like pineapple or lemon (not a fan of orange but hey, probably works too) would help the most, dark dessert flavors would seem flat the quickest.
Another thought: when I chain vape at high wattage, as is my wont, there is a point at which the coils are staying a little hot and the cloud is good but the flavor seems watered out. Perhaps it's actually from condensation, too much water vapor in the area. I dunno.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Early in my vaping venture I took care of this problem by always having 2 tanks with very different flavors in them. Like a chocolate custard in one and something fruity in another. It helped for whatever reason. For me, flavors like pineapple or lemon (not a fan of orange but hey, probably works too) would help the most, dark dessert flavors would seem flat the quickest.
I think sometimes "vaper's tongue" can result from flavor over-saturation. Using the same flavor day in and day out.

I do very much like you do. I utilize two tank/mod combo's, a different flavor in each. A desert flavor (Coffee Cake) and a fruit flavor (Watermelon).

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The 2 times I've had vapor's tongue in more than 4 years...I got it to go away by eating just 1 of those little bitty Cinnamon Red Hot candies that come in the rectangular box at the Circle K. Other remedies I've heard about from 2 friends, are 1) just eating a Kosher dill pickle, and 2) using a tongue scraper too, when brushing your teeth for a couple days.

I've been able to narrow down exactly when/why I get vapor's tongue, and several other people have noticed the same thing, too, when I've posted about it here. Eating something that's been made with quite a bit of garlic does it to me. Maybe you're one of those people it affects, too?

By the way, I was vaping just 1 eliquid all day, every day, for the last 2 years. I might have vaped 1-2mL a week of something else, but that's it. I've had no vapor's tongue at all in that time. So for me, using the same eliquid isn't what causes it. It's just recently that I've started vaping 2 other eliquids in addition to my ADV of 2 years.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Menthol as strong as you can stomach, lol. A plain peppermint or spearmint vape has also worked for me as well. No matter my vape tongue I can always taste those and after usually a day or 2 I can go back to norm. A lemon vape also seems to work as well, but doesn't seem as fast for me.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I tend to get lacking flavor after a couple tanks of juices, my best trick is to simply switch out what i'm vaping every day or so, more than that and the flavor is so lacking i can't make it out even if it's an obvious one (i vape exclusively fruit/candy flavors).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK if they are old wives tales (and some folks are just more susceptible to vaper's tongue than others) but lemon zest (chew on it, spit it out) and a tongue scraper as part of your daily routine may help.

Varying the type of beverages may help, if I drink too much coffee all at once my flavors start to taste off, for example.

If you have dry mouth, lozenges for dry mouth, biotene and other dry mouth products MAY help.

If your flavors are tasting weird, perhaps it is time to switch out the flavors, IDK.
Good luck,

Anna

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Thanks everyone, good advice there. I've had 3 flavours on the go in different tanks recently, some fruity, a bubble gum and a dessert one. I think it could be the bubblegum one is the culprit because it is fine when vaping but seems to have a really weird metallic aftertaste so that juice said hello to the bin this afternoon

Still getting that aftertaste every now and then but it seems to be less now already

Does brushing your tongue count as scraping it btw?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Have you had your teeth checked lately?

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Have you had your teeth checked lately?
Not a bad idea. An infection, gingivitis, etc., could affect your taste buds.
Also make sure your diet is well balanced. I've read that deficiencies in B12 and zinc can affect taste. So, pop those daily vitamins!

And good luck.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but exhaling vape out your nose can help with experiencing vape flavors. In fact, you will often detect one flavor with the inhale and another with the exhale with multiple flavor e-liquids.

Our sense of smell is closely tied to our sense of taste. You might remember, when you have head cold, that you can't taste your food or drink. That's because you can't use your sense of smell when you have nasal congestion.

So even when you taste buds are on vacation, you might be able to enjoy the aroma of your vape.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
In my personal opinion (and keep in mind I use a very soft brush) brusing one's tongue (while I guess it could help) is less aggressive than the tongue scraper which is really designed to uproot so to speak, any taste buds that are dying off, allowing the new ones to grow in.

I've had dentists who were very EXCITABLE about the tongue scraper, while others were "meh" and I'm also not a dentist and I also have dentures (NOT smoking, vaping or even oral hygiene related btw, I have to take a med that was really destructive to my teeth to the point that I opted to have them all removed because I couldn't afford a root canal every ten minutes.)

Anna

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Within a couple of hours of vaping a liquid I can barely taste it.
To combat it, I have several devices set up with different flavors and rotate through them throughout the day.
I also keep a fairly aggressive flavor in at least one of them as a palate cleanser of sorts.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I vape flavourless. Ive never experienced vapors tongue while vaping flavourless, the flavour of flavourless is always present, just a hint of sweetness that remains constant right up until the coil gets a bit old.
When I do try a flavour now they are pretty intense for a while. Sometimes it takes a while to start to enjoy the flavours because they seem too over the top or just a bit yuck. When the flavours fade going back to flavourless for a short while seems to make the previous dull flavoured juice come back to life. I dont know if that works for everyone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread