The difference between a cheap vv device and a midrange vv device (madvapes vv box and Lavatube)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
OK.. so I posted a couple days ago that I ordered the Lavatube and then decided it was too much of a "want" and not a "need" so I marked "return to sender" on it a put it back in the mailbox. I was proud of myself and while not exactly happy with my decision.. I was satisfied.

Guess what I opened this morning? The Lavatube! My husband got it out of the mailbox and gave it to me for Christmas!! I'm thrilled!

So.. I'm going to do a review that's a bit different from what I've seen yet. I'm going to compare the lavatube to the madvapes vv boxmod. I'm not going to talk about long time durability because I've only had them a short time and no one knows how long any of these mods last.

I've had my madvapes box about a week. It cost $35. I already had batteries for it (use them with other 3.7 boxes) so I didn't have to purchase any. I did get a voltmeter for $15 (madvapes) and this works great on the madvapes box.. telling me the voltage and the voltage under load. I love the vv MV box! It does what it is supposed to do. I would recommend getting a voltmeter because without it you won't know what voltage you're at. I like to vape the MV box with the voltmeter attached to see the voltage as I vape. I can take it off and use it on any device (except the egos). so this voltmeter for $15 is a very smart investment. The madvapes box does hold it's set voltage until the batteries die. I've tested this using the voltmeter. If you're tired of using 14500 batts in a mod and having the voltage continually go down as the batts lose charge.. this device will remedy that.. even if you don't change voltage.. set it and it stays there. Regulated voltage is NOT underrated!

While playing with the new Lavatube this morning the first thing I noticed is it hits no better than the MV box. The vapor is the same (I'm using a resurrector in a tank for both devices right now) the TH is the same.. everything is the same. If I set the MV box at 3.7 and the LT at 3.7, both devices give exactly the same vaping experience. I've heard issues of the crocked atty and the bottom vent holes not lining up but mine is perfect. The atty is straight and the vent holes line up. This device was part of a kit so I got the kit and the included non-aw brand battery, which I am using.

So as far a quality of vape.. they are both the same. Now comes the difference. The voltage adjustment on the LT is so simple and easy to use. Push the button once and it goes up one point..( 4.0 to 4.1) With the MV box, I need to use my fingernail or screwdriver to slowly twist the dial. And unless I have the voltmeter on it, I don't really know the exact voltage. Right now I'm using my favorite carto, a 1.7 smoktech "resurrector", mainly because my 3.0 boges haven't come yet. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a good vape from a LR carto on the LT but so far it works well up to 4.1v. I have noticed that if I set the LT to 3.9 and then check the voltage with the voltmeter, it reads 3.85. Each time I set a voltage, the attached voltmeter will read just a hair under what I've set the LR at. I have no idea if it's just the voltmeter or the LT. It doesn't really matter though, it's close enough. I just set the LT to to 4.2 with the LR carto and the voltmeter reads 4.09 underload.. so it does drop it down some. I just set it at 4.1 and the voltmeter measure it at 3.98 underload. I set the LT at 4.4 and it dropped it down to 4.0

So with the LR carto (1.7) mine does not reset to 3.7 or 3.0.. it resets down to around 4.0 which is fine with me because it is doing what it is supposed to do and protecting the carto and itself. Like I said, I haven't used it with SR or HR cartos or attys because till now, I've always used the resurrectors. I do have some 3.0 cartos on order but I like the smoktech because for me, they seem to wick better in a tank than the boges, plus with the smoktech I only have to punch one hole, with boge I have to punch two. (and the smoktech is a lot easier to punch than the boge IMO)

I haven't tried the madvapes vv box at higher voltages using the LR carto. LR stuff isn't meant to be used at higher voltage and I don't know if the MV box has any kind of internal protection or not so I haven't set it above 4.1. LR attys/cartos are supposed to be used on a lower voltage to mimic high voltage vaping. so the people complaining about not being able to use LR stuff on the vv devices.. just get some SR or HR stuff!

So, in conclusion. If someone purchases a Madvapes box, it's $35. A voltmeter (that can be used with other devices) is an additional $15. If you need batteries, then that is an added cost Madvapes sells the trustfire flamejacket 14500 for $4.29 each so 4 will be around $17.. for a total of $70 for the whole thing ($3 shipping included) and this is assuming you have a charger already.

IF you want the Lavatube it will cost you $70 for just the device. I think shipping is free. For 2 18650 batts at supertmanufacturing it will cost $21.50 shipped. For a total of $91.50. assuming you already have a charger.

Both devices will give the same quality of vape. For the total package not including charger, attys or cartos there is a difference of $21.50 ($36.50 if you already have or don't want the MV voltmeter)

Duribility aside.. you're paying more for the ease of use, circuit protection and shape.

I have another vv bottom feeding device that will let me run LR and dual coils at higher voltage. But just because I can doesn't mean I should, especially if I use the aw imr unprotected batteries.

As far as dual coils.. I have a 1.5 smoktech dc carto and it won't run it higher than 3.7.. no matter what I set it at, it will drop it down to 3.7(ish). No problem, it's still a good vape.

I love both the MV vv box and the Lavatube. And I'm so happy that my husband was sneaky and wanted me to keep the Lavatuve!

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
I just tried it with an atty that I thought was the 3.0 they sent.. I was puzzled because at 5v it kept dropping the voltage back down to 4.2. Then a checked the ohms of the atty with a multimeter and it was a 2.0 atty instead of the 3.0.. so that explains it! I found the 3.0 and put it on the LT at 5.0 and the reading on the voltmeter is 4.9.. I've found that the volt meter always reads a little less than what the LT is set at. I don't know if it's the LT or the voltmeter that is reading wrong. Or come to think of it... I guess it's normal for the voltage to drop a bit underload. On the madvapes site it says the voltmeter reads to .5 of the voltage.

With the atty off, the voltmeter reads within .5 of the LT reading and underload it does drop a little. It's not a big deal, as long as it's close. I wanted the voltmeter that Grimm Greene uses from vapecore.com but they are always out of stock. Madvapes is the only store I found (didn't search too hard) that carries a voltmeter that screws into the atty connection and the atty screws into it and shows the voltage under load.

The madvapes vv box drops a little bit too... the LT drops underload a bit more than the madvapes box.

It's nice being able to check the battery charge and it would be nice to be able to check the atty resistance without having to use the multimeter. But I guess it's all in what you want to pay for. I don't have the provari but I understand that it can read the atty resistance.

so it's all about convenience. If you want something that will work, and you don't want to pay for the bells and whistles... an inexpensive MV vv box will give the exact same vaping experience as the more expensive devices. Just like with a car.. the more options you add on, the more it will cost.

It sure is fun playing around with them :D

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
I just want to say I really love this thing more than I thought I would. Its not just the variable voltage, its being able to fine adjust it with a push of a button. I am using a smoktech 1.7 resurrector in a tank and I thought I would be staying at 4v or above. But I am staying below 4v, sometimes less than 3.7. Its nice being able to enjoy it at 3.4 knowing I can easily go up when I want to. I was using a 3.7 box mod and my cartos were a bit wimpy, they seem to come alive and act mote like new on the lavatube, even at lower voltages.

Its a lot nicer and sturdier than I was expecting. I am as happy with it as I hoped I would be.

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Among the many distinctions between the Lavatube and the (now two) Madvapes VV boxes---including price differential ($70 versus $35-$44), form factors (metal tube versus plastic box), technology for varying the voltage (boost circuitry versus a linear LDO step-down regulator), method of voltage adjustment (pressing buttons versus rotating a dial/screw head)---one difference stands out for me, in terms of real-world performance:

If you like and use low resistance 1.6 ohm dual-coil or 1.7 ohm Resurrector single-coil cartos, the Lavatube is woefully inadequate. Since its boost circuitry can't handle more than about 2.5 amps, the Lavatube is designed to automatically reduce the voltage to get under the amp ceiling, and it won't even tell you that it's doing so, since the meter reads the set voltage, not the actual voltage. Vaping LR duals or resurrectors at 3.0-3.4 volts will be nowhere close to a satisfying experience (as certain videos have shown).

By contrast, Madvapes' sturdy and dependable linear regulator is a beast with ultra-LR cartos. With duals and resurrectors, it hits like a freight train. Quite simply, a Madvapes VV box will handle any atty or carto you throw at it, and at any voltage you choose.

If you like (or are willing to use) standard resistance atties/cartos exclusively, the Lavatube seems great and should serve quite well. I don't own one (and won't, since I love duals/resurrectors), but from the countless posts and videos now piling up, the Lavatube is apparently well-made, and the price point is certainly reasonable. Nonetheless, both Madvapes VV boxes (unmetered and metered) are significantly less expensive and terrific deals (assuming you don't mind box mods).

Yes, the Lavatube might have a higher survivability factor if dropped from 15 feet onto concrete, but I've owned seven Madvapes VV boxes for many months (bought #1 in April, 2011, and #7 in October) and have had numerous oops-type drops to the floor without breaking any of them or even scratching the cases. YMMV, of course.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
some other observations while using both the Lavatube and the Madvapes vv box. While the LT won't run dual coil cartos over 3.5 (for me) the MV's box will. I notice that the MV box does hold it's voltage better than the LT as the batts run down. The MV box is more comfortable in my hand, I can "hold" it instead of feeling like I'm "gripping" it.

Which is a better value IMO for ME? for the money spent vs quality of vape... much as I hate to say it, the MV vv box wins. while the led display is nice, and the up/down click button is easier to adjust than the wheel.. the MV box holds true it's voltage underload. If one doesn't mind a black box.. it's a much better value.

I've been using a 3.0 boge carto in a tank with the LT, but I think I perfer the smoktech 1.7.. the LT runs it very well at 4.1 to 4.3v and that's as high as I want to go with a 1.7 carto anyway.

I hate when people recomment the MV vv box as a device to "try out vv" or "get your feet wet" kinda device. Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean it's not a contender in the vv arena. I'd much rather have this than any fixed voltage mod out there..including the ones that cost $100+ and have a reputation of "lasting forever" and so on..

I'm very happy with both of my purchases. I can say that I probably won't be buying another LT. One is enough. But I can't say that I'll never buy another Madvapes vv box :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread