The DIYnicotine strength test kit for testing nicotine base liquids (no flavorings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
This thread is for discussing ways that one can test the strength of one's own unflavored nicotine base liquid. (To discuss more generally and to discuss use with flavored liquids go here.)

There's only one suitable method at the moment - but it is cheap, simple and quick; and also accurate to about 5-10%.

It is based on initial work by DVap and simplification for end-users by Bombjorg. Both these threads are stickied in this DIY e-liquid forum and well worth a read for the more technically minded.

So this thread is also about the methodology involved and use of this test. A resource for learning to use it well. Post your questions, tips, ...

In this thread, we only wish to discuss the kit abd its method in relation to nicotine base liquid. To discuss testing of flavored liquids go here.

One supplier of a kit based on this method has a forum here : DIY Nicotine Test Kit

One can increase the amount of BB indicator if that helps to see the color better; doing so has been found to have little effect on the result; but don't overdo it.

How it works

"One thing that has been tried, and, so far, as been tested to be more accurate is use more nic juice. Do the test the same, but use 2ml of nic, and mulitply the final number by 9.735. Or use 3ml of nic in the beginning, and multiple the final number by 6.49. This reduces the margin of error to +/- 1mg or +/-0.65 mg." ~ mjradik

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Okay, well my kit arrived with the mail today, and I couldn't wait to give it a try. It was very easy to use. Here's what I tested.

My original nic was this:

RTS Vapes- 120 ml of 100 mg/ml, PG
SKU# 131N-0001 Lot#P1
Expiration date Sept-30-2012

I did not test the nic base at full strength, but instead tested a dilution that I had previously made. My dilution was calculated to come out at 22.5 mg/ml (and this was in 80/20 PG/VG).

I used 1 ml of my 22.5 mg/ml diluted nicotine (measured with a syringe). 2 drops of bb, swirled well to mix. I dripped the .12N acid, from a syringe, into the cylinder dropwise with swirling after each drop.

It took 1.1 ml of the acid to turn the indicator just yellow (stayed green for a long time). According to the chart this puts it at 21 mg/ml.

So predicted was 22.5 mg/ml (which would actually be 23 I suppose if we are using sig figs) and I got 21 mg/ml titrated. Pretty darn good, assuming I didn't mess something up and just end up close by coincidence).

In the future I believe I will dilute a small amount of the original full strength base in distilled water, instead of using some already diluted in PG/VG. My diluted base was fairly thick and took some swirling/stirring to get the bb and acid to be dispersed.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
That video was a great demonstration for using the kit, however she was using flavoured liquid as a sample. This is the no flavouring thread.

I love her reviews OTOH this vid can be misleading and hence how rumours start, when folks do not read this/these thread(s) and just watch YouTube - many take what is seen on YouTube verbatim...

Last edited:
That video was a great demonstration for using the kit, however she was using flavoured liquid as a sample. This is the no flavouring thread.

I love her reviews OTOH this vid can be misleading and hence how rumours start, when folks do not read this/these thread(s) and just watch YouTube - many take what is seen on YouTube verbatim...

It has been made clear everywhere that a few flavored liquids might not give an accurate result. It's right to make this clear. But it's not right to take people as being hopelessly stupid.

But by all means make another video if there's an important difference in the technique demonstrated or say what that is.

(I have no sound on my computer at the moment.)

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
It has been made clear everywhere that a few flavored liquids might not give an accurate result. It's right to make this clear. But it's not right to take people as being hopelessly stupid.

But by all means make another video if there's an important difference in the technique demonstrated or say what that is.

(I have no sound on my computer at the moment.)

This is your own OP here, and considering the amount of self policing you did in the other two threads I thought you would find the accuracy relevant.

This thread is for discussing ways that one can test the strength of one's own unflavored nicotine base liquid. (To discuss more generally and to discuss use with flavored liquids go here.)

There's only one suitable method at the moment - but it is cheap, simple and quick; and also accurate to about 5-10%.

It is based on initial work by DVap and simplification for end-users by Bombjorg. Both these threads are stickied in this DIY e-liquid forum and well worth a read for the more technically minded.

So this thread is also about the methodology involved and use of this test. A resource for learning to use it well. Post your questions, tips, ...

In this thread, we only wish to discuss the kit abd its method in relation to nicotine base liquid. To discuss testing of flavored liquids go here.

So with all due respect which point did I miss here.

Yes it is the only video of its kind at the moment, however YouTube has a larger audience than ECF.

<<But it's not right to take people as being hopelessly stupid.>>

You are right and I don't and I do take exception to the comment. If one was to look at some of the vids posted on YouTube, well lets just some are stacked with a few bricks short.

What can I do ? Unitl there is a more exactly suitable video, this one shows the basic technique and demonstrates that it is easy and quick to do. Kurt said he was glad to see the video, after all.

If you think the video maker is irresponsible you can take it up with her. But maybe first ask how often flavored e-liquids give an erroneous result; I imagine she has done a few tests and perhaps have some good info on what does and doesn't work.

Last edited:

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
A well done video.

The post early in the nicotine determination thread from which this method was developed is here.

The only real difference is use of 0.12N acid (better availability) rather than 0.10N acid along with the introduction of a single magic number multiplier and the use of 0.1 mL graduations instead of 0.2 mL graduations.

A well done video.

The post early in the nicotine determination thread from which this method was developed is here.

The only real difference is use of 0.12N acid (better availability) rather than 0.10N acid along with the introduction of a single magic number multiplier and the use of 0.1 mL graduations instead of 0.2 mL graduations.

Yes, well-thought out to be methodically structured; and nicely presented.

To be fussy, it is a bit dark though and the incandescent lighting gives a warm tint. Ideally one would do the test with at least some daylight, or otherwise with white-balanced lighting (photography shops have these).

Great resource :)

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Here's another video, this time with just-nictone base :

Unable to edit the first post in this thread otherwise I would put it there.

Much much better and a better explanation covers all the basics etc... :thumbs:

Get a hold of old soldier or any mod from the DIY section and ask for editing permission and they will grant you the privilege of editing your post.

Much much better and a better explanation covers all the basics etc... :thumbs:

Get a hold of old soldier or any mod from the DIY section and ask for editing permission and they will grant you the privilege of editing your post.

If a mod can put this video in place of the existing one (or before it) in post #1, that'll be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread