The e-cig that goes BOOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaysunR

Jun 11, 2014
Atlanta, GA, US
Kanger is a reputable vendor... When they have defective product they are very transparent about it and they let people know.

Yeah I've done my research but I just wanted a general opinion especially on here. My first battery was a EVOD, did me well for 7 months of heavy use then started to fade out. Now I use a MVP 2, purchased the EVOD VV for my mom as an upgrade. I just never knew if they were up there with other eGo style brands.

screwball

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2014
Qtown
This has been something thats been kinda sitting in the back of my mind since I bought my eGo, I didnt do huge amounts of research and bought a slightly unknown brand of battery. it should be ok as long as I am not doing stupid .... with it or over using it untill I buy a mod or something, right?

I bought this if it matters, should I be throwing this thing away immediately or?

Happy Ego 1100mAh Battery, Black

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Who is talking about banning anything?

This thread is about educating people... This is not a ban wagon.

Never said it was. Do you read your google search? The google search usually end with the article more or less saying we should ban e cigs from whatever because they could blow up.

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Who is talking about banning anything?

This thread is about educating people... This is not a ban wagon.

Easy now. The post I made was just me being sarcastic because of some of the news reports I just read and watched. Sometimes I get a little agitated and go in to sarcastic mode.
I think that most of us here already know to buy decent gear and batteries and play safe. But man, some of those reports were just over the top. The majority of them were in cars. Probably from someone leaving it plugged into the cig lighter and then leaving it to charge in the blistering sun. And of course some devices just fail. But then so do a lot of other devices, which could make them potentially dangerous.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This has been something thats been kinda sitting in the back of my mind since I bought my eGo, I didnt do huge amounts of research and bought a slightly unknown brand of battery. it should be ok as long as I am not doing stupid .... with it or over using it untill I buy a mod or something, right?

I bought this if it matters, should I be throwing this thing away immediately or?

Well, it appears to be a no-name generic eGo battery. Who knows who the manufacturer was? I personally would not have bought that battery.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Never said it was. Do you read your google search? The google search usually end with the article more or less saying we should ban e cigs from whatever because they could blow up.

The only thing to take from these news story is the type of ecig that blows up... Which is never mentioned. But if you have to look a the pictures there is a common theme.. Ego style.

The rest of the stories is sensationalism.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK

The question you need to answer is what circuitry is inside the battery, and you can't ever answer that, even for the good brands. It's just that good brands are more likely to have good circuitry.

A good charger (and there's another variable) supplies 420mA at 5 volts. A lithium battery requires no more than a certain current. That current will always be above 420mA. So if the charger correctly limits it, then that's OK. But as a battery charges, it's voltage increases. If it gets to 4.2 volts, it's full. If it gets above 4.25 volts, then it's over-charged and getting damaged. That's a margin of error of only 1.1%, which is very close for electronics, where margins are generally 5% or more. A very cheap battery may just depend on you disconnecting it when it's full, and not bother limiting the voltage at all.

Then there is another protection circuit that has to allow the battery to supply its full capacity and then switch it off before it gets too low.

If either of these circuits is substandard or can get damaged or is entirely missing, then the battery is in significant danger of exploding.

We have no way of knowing what circuitry is in any battery and it would take an effort and expensive equipment to test any charger. We do know that for a manufacturer, every added electronic component reduces profit.

So we buy from companies that have good names, because they don't want to risk losing that good name.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

The title of the thread made me think of this

disgusting.jpg

Only saving grace was the girls were eye candy.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Or, in other words - You Can't Fix Stupid.

It's nearly always the case. I know for a fact that in Hawaii kids with matches have burned down many, many houses. So what does government do?

Ban fireworks.

What should the government do? NUTHIN'! Honestly, nature's gene pool should be allowed to just get on with it. Right now, we fix stupid by applying even MORE stupid. Grrrrrrr.

Okay, the story says:

The device came with a charging lead but no plug, she said, so she used a phone charger – contrary to the maker’s instructions.

User error.

raspberryblu

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2014
United States
In looking at that google search page, most of the articles are a re-hash of the same two stories. The perception could be that the problem is more prevalent than it really is. I've only been able to find one article of an e-cig blowing up while in use, and that was the florida guy that I believed had stacked cheap batteries in a mech. The other handful that I could find involving ego style batteries occurred while being charged and of those, only one didn't have an explanation. The others were using the wrong charger or over charging their batteries.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN

Well, it appears to be a no-name generic eGo battery. Who knows who the manufacturer was? I personally would not have bought that battery.

I went to that site to look. while there the chat thing came up so I asked who made them. she "can't" tell me but she said it was a major manufacturer. they also have joye ones and I got the feeling the HV ones might be made by joye. I've been using egos since I started - bought from different places and I don't always know who made them. I've never had any trouble with them (knock wood), but I am nearby when they are charging and I take them off as soon as they are done.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Most of the Boom Failures I have read about - though the E-cig was blamed - have been caused by Crap Chargers.
Even an original Ego can go boom if left on a faulty charger.
Why don't Egos go Boom - their OEM charger stops at 4.2v like it is supposed to.

And don't blame the wall warts, they just supply usb power for the crap chargers.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
In looking at that google search page, most of the articles are a re-hash of the same two stories. The perception could be that the problem is more prevalent than it really is. I've only been able to find one article of an e-cig blowing up while in use, and that was the florida guy that I believed had stacked cheap batteries in a mech. The other handful that I could find involving ego style batteries occurred while being charged and of those, only one didn't have an explanation. The others were using the wrong charger or over charging their batteries.

You might be right... Perhaps there is no problem what so ever with cheap unbranded eGo batteries. The media are lazy drama queens, that is a fact.

But I still think it is kind of weird to promote safe battery practices when it comes to mods (e.g. do not buy unbranded batteries) and in the same breath recommending unbranded eGo's from Fasttech or wherever they sell unbranded eGo's.

But the fact remains... These are the pictures that always pop up and they are always eGo's. I dunno, maybe it's just me... I just don't trust unbranded eGo's anymore. I'll stick to and will only recommend reputable manufacturer for eGo batts from now on.

e-cigarette-reportedly-explodes-in-atlanta.jpg

22536957_SA.jpg

23584719_SA.jpg

phoenix-fired.jpg

e-cig.jpg

e+cig+blows.jpg

Last edited:

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Most of the Boom Failures I have read about - though the E-cig was blamed - have been caused by Crap Chargers.
Even an original Ego can go boom if left on a faulty charger.
Why don't Egos go Boom - their OEM charger stops at 4.2v like it is supposed to.

And don't blame the wall warts, they just supply usb power for the crap chargers.

Good point.

raspberryblu

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2014
United States
I've never had any trouble with them (knock wood), but I am nearby when they are charging and I take them off as soon as they are done.

This. I'm a charging nazi. I'm always checking batteries for heat while charging. I bought them from what I believe to be a reputable source, but you never know. Interestingly enough I posted on another thread about the health aspects of vaping. I never worried about the effects of the vape, but I'm absolutely paranoid about the batteries. I hate it when news stories come out that don't give vital information that we vapers want to know such as, was the battery left on the charger even after getting a full charge? Were they using a charger recommended by the manufacturer? Sadly, others' misfortune could help the rest of us avoid the same fate if we had more information......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread