The e-cig that goes BOOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

screwball

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2014
Qtown
Yeah, if I had more disposable income I would of spent more on starter gear than I did but I wanted to see if it was for me. I spent on a Kanger tank and plan to buy a atomizer and mod when I have enough so hopefully this doesn't explode in the mean time, I'm not a heavy user so, heres hoping.

This. I'm a charging nazi. I'm always checking batteries for heat while charging. I bought them from what I believe to be a reputable source, but you never know. Interestingly enough I posted on another thread about the health aspects of vaping. I never worried about the effects of the vape, but I'm absolutely paranoid about the batteries. I hate it when news stories come out that don't give vital information that we vapers want to know such as, was the battery left on the charger even after getting a full charge? Were they using a charger recommended by the manufacturer? Sadly, others' misfortune could help the rest of us avoid the same fate if we had more information......

I doubt most outlets care enough to or know enough to ask that information, like wise the people responsible dont know the info themselves

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Yeah, we should only talk about flowers and pretty things...................

Some perpetrate a negative image of vaping by the threads they consistently start. Negative ranting about vaping and how people vape is your consistent theme. Fortunately most of us are much more balanced and just happy to vape.

Last edited:

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Some perpetrate a negative image of vaping by the threads they consistently start. Negative ranting about vaping and how people vape is your consistent theme. Fortunately most of us are much more balanced and just happy to vape.

rolling_eyes_neil_degrasse_tyson.gif

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It happens a least once per 2 weeks in the news.

I hear ya ST, but I don't think it's nearly as often as you say. OTOH, it happens way too much IMO.

If you are going to recommend an eGo-twist for example, why not emphasize: Buy a genuine Joyetech eGo-Twist, stay away from the rest.

And a real Joye charger. Might be a good idea :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm still not clear on whether eGo's are LiPo or Li-ion batteries. Probably doesn't matter. They are both voltatile (flamable) chemistries. It's too bad they don't make eGo batteries with the safer chemistry Li-Mm IMR.

I did a bit of research on eGo batteries a while back and I'm convinced they are ICR. Can't link you to any proof of that though so take it with a grain of salt :)

I've been using LiPo's in my model airplanes for years. I used to think they were quite volatile, but a poster here on ECF last year got me to do a bit more digging on this one. They used to be pretty snarly when they first came out and back then charging them was also not well understood which didn't help any. They got a bad reputation because a bunch of them exploded.

I now consider them quite safe. I still respect them as I do my IMR and hybrid vape batteries, but unless you way over charge them, or pierce them, they are pretty safe. In model airplanes we discharge them at 10C regularly with 30C bursts (or higher) and have no issues except that they get hot. MVPs use them and there are a lot of them out there. I don't know of any that have gone poof.

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
Steam Turbine said:
You might be right... Perhaps there is no problem what so ever with cheap unbranded eGo batteries. The media are lazy drama queens, that is a fact.

But I still think it is kind of weird to promote safe battery practices when it comes to mods (e.g. do not buy unbranded batteries) and in the same breath recommending unbranded eGo's from Fasttech or wherever they sell unbranded eGo's.
I think you make a very good point.

I suspect ECF people sometimes overlook battery safety in eGo-style devices just because they're generally viewed as "beginner" gear, while mods are generally described as "advanced" (whatever that means).

But of course you're right: a battery is a battery, and there's no good reason to stress safety in one but not the other.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I don't think Steam Turbine is saying anything wrong here....I really like this thread. Its a direct contradiction to the hundreds of threads by narrow minded, ill informed, judgemental trouble makers who like to keep saying cloud chasers and sub ohmers are going to get vaping banned. Sub ohmers are going to lose a hand or melt their faces off or burn down their house and kill their kids. Whatta joke. A ton of burned up egos and not one mech.
Side note: I've still only seen cloud chasing done at vape stores or meets....never in public. Lady in line at CVS tearin it up on her ego/t3 last night. Just sayin....

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Me personally, I try not to recommend products I have not used so if I don't know I don't suggest anything. But when it comes to recommending new vapers an eGo type device I always recommend them the brand that I used (Joyetech). I have used another brand of eGo type batteries & those were both POS (they came with a kit). 1 was stuck continuously firing so it had to be disposed of & the other just came apart. Neither were more than a few months old. On the other hand, every Joyetech eGo battery I have ever purchased still works properly & that would include 3 Twists & 1 passthrough & 2 regular eGoTs. Those have all been purchased 2 or more years ago.

Bottom line for me, I recommend only brands I trust & am familiar with to other people.

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
I didn't read much of this post but first I agree with the opening statement by the OP. Second not all places know they have knock offs. I had a ego twist 1100 mah (as I was told). It died a long time ago and I set it aside incase I decided I wanted a part from it to make my own later. Took it apart recently and the battery inside is a 650mah. My solution is I don't recommend those batteries to anyone. Even the authentic ones fall apart rather quickly.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
...I suggest that we stop recommending and warn new vapers about these cheap eGo knock-offs... Spinner knock-offs and all other cheap, eGo like crap in the same way that we don't recommend buying unbranded ICR batteries and so on.

If you are going to recommend an eGo-twist for example, why not emphasize: Buy a genuine Joyetech eGo-Twist, stay away from the rest.

The only potentially dangerous problem I have ever had with any of my gear was a Joye brand charger starting to melt while charging a Joye brand Twist. Thankfully, I never charge my batteries unattended or on a flammable surface so I was able to avoid any sort of disaster.

On the other hand I bought my non-Joye eGo Twists from a vendor with an exceptional reputation for generous customer service which means they can't afford to sell unreliable junk. They had better features than the Joye Twists, a better build quality, cost less and never had a single issue.

I never count on good quality control for any type of Chinese manufactured goods branded or not. I've always made it a practice of putting a retailer with a reputation for stellar customer service between the manufacturer and me. That seems to have done a pretty good job of keeping the worst of the Chinese quality control issues the retailer's headache rather than mine over the years.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
The only potentially dangerous problem I have ever had with any of my gear was a Joye brand charger starting to melt while charging a Joye brand Twist. Thankfully, I never charge my batteries unattended or on a flammable surface so I was able to avoid any sort of disaster.

On the other hand I bought my non-Joye eGo Twists from a vendor with an exceptional reputation for generous customer service which means they can't afford to sell unreliable junk. They had better features than the Joye Twists, a better build quality, cost less and never had a single issue.

I never count on good quality control for any type of Chinese manufactured goods branded or not. I've always made it a practice of putting a retailer with a reputation for stellar customer service between the manufacturer and me. That seems to have done a pretty good job of keeping the worst of the Chinese quality control issues the retailer's headache rather than mine over the years.

Fair point

TheRac25

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
The tax farm known as USA.
It happens a least once per 2 weeks in the news. The press loves it, it makes for excellent titles: "Ecig explodes in womens face! Husband furious, women won't shut up about it, husband commits suicide."

so we have solved the problems of injuries and deaths from most other causes and we are now getting into the bottom of the list solving the problem posed by e-cig batts, good to know how far society has come!

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
so we have solved the problems of injuries and deaths from most other causes and we are now getting into the bottom of the list solving the problem posed by e-cig batts, good to know how far society has come!

You didn't hear? Yes, we cured cancer, AIDS, suicide, DUI, cellphone at the wheel problems, war, all types of work accidents and death by stupidity! Since there is so little political corruption and infantile death, all we have left are airplane accidents and exploding e-cigs. Where were you last weekend?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
This happens sometimes wv2win, but IMO Steam Turbine is not one of them.

I would suggest you look more closely. How many ECF members do you know that would offer up "Stanton Glantz" as a source for legitimate research on vaping, to an unsuspecting & uninformed new member, looking for positive scientific support for vaping??

From this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...73306-vaping-forbidden-patio-golf-course.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steam Turbine

"Here are 3 review article from Pub Med (a major medical journal) about vaping.

If you search for the keywords: "secondhand smoke", "secondhand vapor", "passive vaping", "passive smoking" you should find the info that you need in there.

Here are the reviews:

The Grana paper....................."

When you click on the Grana paper, here is the header to the study:

"E-Cigarettes

A Scientific Review

Rachel Grana, PhD, MPH, Neal Benowitz, MD, and Stanton A. Glantz, PhD"

As I stated in the thread, anyone who offers up Stan Glantz, with no qualifiers, as a source of legitimate research on vaping, is no friend of the vaping community.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Well I've not seen anything about exploding ecigs in the news at all. I don't go looking for it either. I do remember stories in the past about cell phone batteries exploding on people, but no government agency ever cranked up a crusade against those. I guess there was no money in that.

there is money in that... the BP companies ( big phone ;) ) would loose billions if the media ran with the "splodin phones" story.. plus every one needs at least 2 smart phones... no one needs to vape... but thats their view point.... people have been using tobacco alot longer than phones have even been around... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread