The Economist : Call it Quits E-cigarettes really do help smokers give up the demon weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedSick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2011
USA

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I would hardly call this supportive:

Why they are so successful is not yet proven. But a reasonable guess hangs on the meaning of the word “quitting”. Probably, though the Smoking Toolkit Study’s data do not address this question, most of those who take up e-cigarettes see them as a way of continuing to consume nicotine. They are, in other words, quitting tobacco, not their drug of choice. Those who use patches or willpower, by contrast, wish to quit the addiction.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I would hardly call this supportive:
My eyebrows raised while reading this myself. THat comment does not support that NRT's such as gums are used indefinitely nowadays too. To the extent the label has been changed to "approved for" long term use. I guess it is ok to use NRT long term but not e-cigs??

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
My eyebrows raised while reading this myself. THat comment does not support that NRT's such as gums are used indefinitely nowadays too. To the extent the label has been changed to "approved for" long term use. I guess it is ok to use NRT long term but not e-cigs??

Of course! Because slapping on a patch everyday for the next 30 years is not smoking, because your INTENTION is to quit. And clearly, using an e-cig means you are still smoking, because you have no intention of quitting.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Before one makes a decision about this piece, it might be helpful to read the entire article.

Why they are so successful is not yet proven. But a reasonable guess hangs on the meaning of the word “quitting”. Probably, though the Smoking Toolkit Study’s data do not address this question, most of those who take up e-cigarettes see them as a way of continuing to consume nicotine. They are, in other words, quitting tobacco, not their drug of choice. Those who use patches or willpower, by contrast, wish to quit the addiction.

The former is surely easier than the latter. From a health point of view, though, the motive hardly matters. Though e-cigarettes are too recent an invention to be sure they carry no health risks at all, those risks are clearly negligible compared with the ones that come with breathing in, several dozen times a day, the smoke from dried, burning plant leaves. [Bold added]

What does the word "negligible" mean?

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Darn close to non-existent.

neg·li·gi·ble
ˈneglijəbəl/Submit
adjective
so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant.
"sound could at last be recorded with incredible ease and at negligible cost"
synonyms: trivial, trifling, insignificant, unimportant, minor, inconsequential; More

They get it.

:):vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread