The experience of vaping is everything I wanted when I started smoking in 1985 - it just didn't exist yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjamesmurphy

Nov 26, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hi, my name is Mark.

First post. I'm very glad to be here!

The experience of vaping is everything I wanted when I started smoking in 1985 - it just didn't exist yet!

I started vaping one week ago today (last Sunday, 04/15/2012) and have not had an analog since. My dear friend Kathryn had started vaping about 4-5 months prior. She was an analog fiend, never without a cigarette. I'm sure she was smoking almost two packs a day of American Spirit blues. I'm not sure how she got turned on to e-cigs, but one day she had procured some crappy e-cig the same size as a cigarette, with a red LED on the tip. She came over and we puffed on the thing. It was intriguing...

I was smoking 4 or 5 analogs per day. They were American Spirit blues, which I liked because it was just tobacco leaves and not some crazy 50-page-of-ingredient evil product like Marlboros. I had started smoking in the late 80's because I was a working musician, and it was just something you did in the smoky clubs or outside of function halls during wedding gigs.

Kathryn started reading these forums and very quickly graduated to better gear. In short order she was using eGo style batteries, then different eGo clones, then variable voltage box mods - all with a variety of attys, cartos, clearos, tanks, drip tips etc. Constant mail deliveries of new niquids and gear. Eventually she had a tackle box and was mixing DIY juice. Now her Lava Tube (actually a Totally Wicked Torpedo) is on the way to her in the mail.

It seemed so complicated! I was so glad she stopped analogs, but I keep my life super simple and I avoided getting into it because I didn't want to complicate things. Analogs are so simple - buy, light, smoke, discard.

Die.

THEN: Kat gave me a birthday present. It was a 1000mah eGo USB passthrough from Totally Wicked, along with a Bud Sapphire carto, a couple of CE2 cartos and 5ml of Malted Madness juice. Keep in mind this was just 8 days ago. I'm so lucky, because she had gone through the learning curve from total ignorance to a huge amount of knowledge about vaping. She knew that a hardy 510 based system would be a good place to start...

I QUIT ANALOGS INSTANTLY. I was so ready for this it's not even funny. First thing I did was start reading these forums to learn as much as possible. I'd vape the Malted Madness upon waking, go to work, then get home and read read read.

IT WAS VERY CLEAR IMMEDIATELY that this was going to be better than smoking. I could do it right in the middle of my house, as much as I wanted. I was getting plenty of nicotine (at an 18mg strength). In fact, I wanted to puff so much that I got too much nicotine and was bouncing off the walls.

I signed up at lots of vendor websites based on the info I got from these forums. First thing I ordered was from Totally Wicked, which arrived in a couple of days. It was three EMDCC cartos and two juices - a Parisian Vanilla and a Marlboro with vanilla. THE CARTOS ROCKED as I suspected they would, having read the forums. They were low resistance which coaxed a ton of performance out of the voltage supplied by the battery. I'd vape in the morning, NOT take it to work (as I didn't smoke analogs during a work shift) get home, vape and READ READ READ.

After a few days, the lack of poisoning from not inhaling burning leaves was making me feel unbelievable. I was so talkative and motivated it's ridiculous. I had multiple packages on the way to me from all over the US. I got more EMDCC cartos and an AWESOME sampler from Copper Creek: House Blend, Twisted Tobacco and Voodoo. They threw in a bit of Cool Aid too. (These were all in 12mg strength).

I wanted to vape so much that the 18mg and 12mg strengths, along with the dual-coil power of the EMDCCS were delivering too much nicotine! It became clear that I'd want some 0mg juice I could vape all day. It also became clear that I was going to vape for the rest of my life, and never smoke again. I understood that the gear was all temporary, transient and finite. My next move was to order a Kgo kit from Brent at Hoosierecig.com, some Boba's Bounty 18mg from Alien Visions, and some 0mg Pure Pear and Vanilla Bourbon Bean from Highbrow. ALL OF THAT ARRIVED TODAY. I was stalking the mailman, I swear.

As I write this, I have a Kgo going through it's initial charge while I continue to use the eGo passthrough. I'm using the two attys that came with the Kgo kit to drip the new 0mg flavors, which are delicious. I'm switching off to my EMDCC filled with Bobas when I want nicotine, as well as my EMDCCs filled with Copper Creek House Blend, Parisian Vanilla and Marlboro Vanilla. (I LOVE the EMDCCS because their huge size and skirts let them sit upright in front of me on my desk). I can also throw on the CE2s with Cool Aid, Voodoo or Juicy Vapor Pizza for variety. Each carto is labelled with a little Avery dot label written on with pen so I don't lose track.

Tomorrow, both Kgos will be charged and ready to use. They vape at 3.8 volts which is more than the 3.4 put out by the eGo. I'm looking forward to seeing how this effects the performance of the juices. I have more shipments en route - a Boston Cream Pie flavor at 18mg from Prime Vaping, and a Wild Cherry at 12mg from Mount Baker Vapor here in Washington (along with more EMDCCs).

My whole point is this:

If you're a newb here, DON'T BE DISCOURAGED by thinking it's complex. This can be VERY SIMPLE. You can graduate to different levels of complexity later. I don't even want to right now. I'm going to run Kgos and EMDCCs, and just try juices for a while. I've spent about $150 but I didn't even need to do that - I'm just lucky that money is no object right now, and my health felt SO MUCH BETTER SO FAST that I started ordering tons of stuff out of excitement. Isn't it worth it though? You can blow so much more money on stupid crap. THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOU QUIT ANALOGS. Vaping is so close to harmless it's ridiculous. When you quit smoking burning leaves, your body will rejoice!

I look forward to being friends with any of you that want it. Feel free to contact me - and if you're in Seattle, let's vape together!

-MJM
04/23/12

Zooker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Washington State
Well hello there and welcome to ECF! Your post just made me grin from ear to ear, that's what it's all about baby!! What a terrific head start you got from your friend, we should all have a friend like that to guide us--thankfully we all stumbled upon ECF and whether we know someone in RL who can guide us or not, there's so much information here we can still keep building on our knowlege. Vape on brother!!:vapor:

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
Your post made me smile.. your excitement really shines through.. :) Kgo's are a great start, I'd choose them for any newbie myself.. I still use mine from time to time. You'll like that boston cream pie from PV.. good stuff, though I couldn't do it all day.. it's definitely sweet and tasty though!

Don't be shy about asking questions, either.. most of us didn't have a "Kathryn" to show us the ropes, so we've made plenty of mistakes and discoveries a long the way, and are happy to point you in the right direction as you continue to develop your preferences.

Enjoy the new toys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread