Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Last night I had to change the wick on my Odysseus, I was using Nextel XS-116 a la MrKrinkle's method. Used same wick for 2 weeks with some dry burn cleaning between refills (By the way, the original Odysseus wick is much better than the Nextel XS-116 in my opinion), although the wick lasted for long, the flavor wasn't good. When I removed the wick, it just broke and fell apart in pieces, so I decided to use mesh.

I cut a piece around 2cm x 2cm, rolled it until it entered (tight) in the ceramic cup channels, I oxidized it the usual way (quenched it in PG, etc. etc), then with a needle inside the mesh (for better support) prepared the coil and and trimmed the mesh excess in order that the mouthpiece does not touch the mesh.

It works very good, no leaks, good flavor, throat hit and vapor production.

Some pictures:

5ldnra.jpg

xm0dv8.jpg

xauruq.jpg

2qwivlw.jpg

I love the versatility of the Odysseus, it is wonderful isn't it?

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
same here urq. This mesh style is hard to be made. I am wondering sometimes about the mesh devices and how people do that work. To speak the truth I always had many shorts with mesh and I never managed to make a good coil
I tried it right now, too many shorts Haha eff that. Back to ody wick nice work Ariel

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
I had really inconsistent results with mesh set up for Orion but have small willpro 14 and the mesh/wire set up works perfectly for me. Don't really know why the smaller of the two is easier for me but I don't seem to get as many shorts and my fiddle time is minimal.

I prefer the Ody but also find that the wick set up eliminates the need for mesh and NR wire being an economical vape and a great backup if your running low on "stuff."

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I was changing wick today, and had a little time and a second Ody, so I tried this out.
First attempt: smoked the coil first try out.
Second attempt: same thing.

I unrolled the mesh and folded under the top edge that contacts the coil to eliminate the cut edge, refilled it and retorched it.
Third attempt: home run, no shorts, even heat across the coil. Fully assembled, its holding liquid, and vaping with a very nice sizzle sound. I like it.

Plus 1

urquidezj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Tucson AZ
I have no problem on vertical wick setup like gtank or hybrid mini. I haven't touched the gtank coil for two months just dry burn clean and ready to go. For me, ody is best with ody wick. Wrap, position, juice, test, fill and vape. No hassle. And in case mesh does decide to get tempermental., I can't just pop a cap off and wiggle the mesh or poke it like on other setups lol

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
same here urq. This mesh style is hard to be made. I am wondering sometimes about the mesh devices and how people do that work. To speak the truth I always had many shorts with mesh and I never managed to make a good coil

Mesh is tricky, Imeo, but with a little practice you eventually get the hang of it :) I had a Line for a little while and struggled for a couple of weeks to make a good setup and eventually did get it down, made two good coils in a row, but then decided that particular atomizer wasn't for me (it vaped nice, but wasn't quite what I was looking for). Now that I've had good practice at it, I think I'll be better prepared for when my Gtank arrives.

I really haven't had much desire to use mesh in Ody, though, as the performance from the stock wick is very much aligned to my tastes. I'm sure I'll do it eventually, but for now I'm happy with what I've got ;-)

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
looks good.

can you take some photos of it not sitting in the ceramic?

Sure, I just have to finish this tank :)

Tank finished :D

The best pictures I could take with this old cell phone:

3142yb4.jpg

wgqdeb.jpg

As you can see it is a mesh tube, the first one I used was the same but with the ends flattened -the scissor did that-, I think it worked better with the ends pinched, I have to try also without the center hole (solid mesh)

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Thanks for more pics. Are you guys using 400?

something like this?:

Wire Mesh Filter Disc, Woven Mesh Disc Disk Filters from TWP Inc.

I am using this one:

The Mesh Company (Warrington) Ltd Super Fine 400 Mesh

Wire Diameter: 0.025mm
Aperture: 0.039mm - this is the hole size and it is square
Open Area %: 36.8%

--------------------------------------------------------

The one you have found:
Wire Diameter: 0.0010 inches (0.0254 millimeters)
Aperture: 0.0013 inches (0.03302 millimeters)
Open Area %: 27%

Is very simillar, I think that mesh would be ok (and the 325 also: http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh/TWPCAT_10/p_325X325TL0014W48T )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread