The FDA, The E-cigarette and Why Vaping Won't Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Here is an article that I wrote recently, after doing some research and talking with some people in the industry. As someone who has been watching the situation since 2009 AND who has been involved with similar issues pertaining to other industries, I did my best to both analyze the situation we're in, and make some educated guesses about what the future may hold for us American vapers.

Ninja Vapes: The FDA and Why Vaping Won't Die

What do you think? Post your comments below or on my blog page! And most importantly, vape On!

/Ninja

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
Good news for you, me, and probably most who post here, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

But I think you're way underestimating the number of consumers who are presently buying the mass-produced, mass-advertised, e-cigarettes that would be wiped off the map in the event of a ban. Many (I suspect an overwhelming majority of) e-cig users are completely unaware of, and probably uninterested in, the kind of e-cigarette products and do-it-yourself strategies that most ECF'ers devote time and effort to. They buy over the counter, perhaps to quit, perhaps to cut down, or perhaps for the occasional ride in their daughter's smoke-free car. Hard to say how many will take the initiative to find out about the kind of work-arounds you mention, even though have become second-nature to our breed of vapers.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
The problem is Pharmaceuticals and Tobacco companies have a better foothold, more money, and more money to lose. This world is run by money and power. They have many polititions and lawyers in their pockets and Vapers can't even get enough people to sign the petition to the government. So with the lackadaisical response that this petition is getting from the vapers versus Tobacco and Pharmacy I don't give free vaping a very good outlook. Sure it will be there but with so many regulations and taxes it will be as costly as smoking has become.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
I'm a bit perplexed. While early in the article you say there's a good chance that nicotine might be made very difficult to get, you close with "I don't think we have too much to worry about." I don't see the two as compatible.

Making nicotine difficult to get could quite easily halt the flow of new consumers into the market by making it difficult, or impossible, to get the kind of equipment and juice we all started with. Without those new entries, the market shrivels, and eventually dies. And, not only does the market whither, but all those people looking for a healthier way to get their nicotine are denied and, eventually, die.

I see those two things -- the slowed inflow of new vapers, and the resulting loss of life -- to be very much worth worrying about, and potentially devastating to the industry in the long term.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I'm a bit perplexed. While early in the article you say there's a good chance that nicotine might be made very difficult to get, you close with "I don't think we have too much to worry about." I don't see the two as compatible.

Making nicotine difficult to get could quite easily halt the flow of new consumers into the market by making it difficult, or impossible, to get the kind of equipment and juice we all started with. Without those new entries, the market shrivels, and eventually dies. And, not only does the market whither, but all those people looking for a healthier way to get their nicotine are denied and, eventually, die.

I see those two things -- the slowed inflow of new vapers, and the resulting loss of life -- to be very much worth worrying about, and potentially devastating to the industry in the long term.

I think that forcing an industry underground, so long as it retains a dedicated following, is not the end of the world. It's actually helped other industries GAIN more of a following- although, in this case, the situation differs a bit.

My article is more about preserving part of the marketplace for current vapers, not about expansion of the industry into some gigantic, traditional-cigarette-killing entity that some people here might favor (as opposed to the glorified cottage industry it is now). You're missing the point, which is that I believe current vapers will always have an option to vape.

The absence of nicotine from most ready-to-use, legally-sold vaping products is something that we have to prepare for. Even with my optimistic view, I would never go as far as to assume the FDA is just going to allow people to keep selling a substance that they have been given control over.

Anyway, viewing the future in such a pessimistic and negative light will help no one. If you're so concerned, then take action! Do I feel sorry for those who are still smokers and haven't become vapers, and who may lost some of the options that are at their disposal if they wait until after the FDA takes action? Sorry, but I absolutely do not...we've been around for 6 years now, and unless you've been living under a rock or don't use the internet, it would be impossible not to notice e-cigs. There are plenty of vapers who are dedicated enough to the scene that the absence of newcomers in huge numbers isn't going to destroy us.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
And now it's over the 25K signature threshold! We can only hope that this one draws a more favorable response than the condescending "Quit Smoking" platitudes that the FDA served up in response to an earlier one.
Kinda gives ya an insight into the FDA's mind-set about e-cigarettes.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with them being owned by BP.
:p

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
Kinda gives ya an insight into the FDA's mind-set about e-cigarettes.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with them being owned by BP.
:p

I heard an interesting bit of commentary recently about what was called "Ikea Syndrome." That's when somebody who has built something (however well or poorly) gets the idea that whatever they've built (pre-fab bookshelf or social policy) is the best there is and that anybody else's is inferior. So, to whatever extent the FDA's partnership with BP reflects a shared vision ("This is the road to smoke-free that they've created--with our approval."), I guess gums, patches, and Chantix are the FDA's Ikea bookshelf." I don't necessarily call that "ownership," but I don't particularly object to the term, either.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I heard an interesting bit of commentary recently about what was called "Ikea Syndrome." That's when somebody who has built something (however well or poorly) gets the idea that whatever they've built (pre-fab bookshelf or social policy) is the best there is and that anybody else's is inferior. So, to whatever extent the FDA's partnership with BP reflects a shared vision ("This is the road to smoke-free that they've created--with our approval."), I guess gums, patches, and Chantix are the FDA's Ikea bookshelf.") I don't necessarily call that "ownership," but I don't particularly object to the term, either.
1-BigGrin.png

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
I actually think that buying cig-a-likes from big companies with FDA certification (blue/njoy etc) with pre-filled carts will be the approved model and mostly owned by big tobacco. I am guessing the nic level will be and flavors will be limited (no fruity or candy/dessert flavors).

I think access to bottled nicotine is likely to be targeted and may not be available at some point without a permit.

Of course, without bottled nicotine, they take the air out of the DIY and kraft industry of mods.

I hope I am wrong.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I agree with 99 percent of what you say except with the part at the bottom.We gain ZERO credibility being linked to the aforementioned green market in any way, shape or form. Surely you could have found a better and more fitting analogy that doesnt make us look guilty by association in the process?

I dont know why this is suddenly such a hard concept for some to grasp. Lay down with dogs....wake up with fleas.

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I agree with 99 percent of what you say except with the part at the bottom.We gain ZERO credibility being linked to the aforementioned green market in any way, shape or form. Surely you could have found a better and more fitting analogy that doesnt make us look guilty by association in the process?

I dont know why this is suddenly such a hard concept for some to grasp. Lay down with dogs....wake up with fleas.

I can agree to disagree. Fortunately for us, my comparison today, in the year 2013, is anything but inappropriate; That movement has made great strides as far as being socially accepted, and while I realize there will be some disagreement over its application in my article, it is a topic where I already had a knowledge base to pull from. That being said, there was no direct comparison made- only an indirect association based on hypotheticals, none of which have been fully made clear to us yet. So please, calm down, lol.

I do take offense, though with your analogy of said industry...and would appreciate it if you could keep such comments to yourself. Unfortunately for the likes of you, there is a level of professionalism and control now within many parts of the industry that makes those kind of comments seem pretentious, unbecoming, and seriously out-dated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread