The FDA vs. Pentagon Health Experts????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoType

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
New Jersey
**The article and link are below. I'd like to see many of my fellow vapors weigh in on this and add their feedback.

U.S. soldiers are trained to handle deadly weapons and smoke out enemies but they may soon find that they aren't allowed to handle cigarettes and light up a smoke.

Pentagon health experts are pressing Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ban the use of tobacco by troops and ends its sale on military property, according to USA Today.

Jack Smith, head of the Pentagon's office of clinical and program policy, told the newspaper that he will advise Gates to adopt proposals by a federal study that cites rising tobacco use and higher costs for the Pentagon and the Department of Veterans Affairs as reasons for the ban.

The study by the Institute of Medicine calls for a phased-in ban over a period of perhaps up to 20 years.

"We'll certainly be taking that recommendation forward," Smith told the newspaper.

The VA and the Pentagon requested the study, which found that troops worn out by repeated deployments often rely on cigarettes as a "stress reliever." The study also found that tobacco use in the military rose after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began.

Tobacco use costs the Pentagon $846 million a year in medical care and lost productivity, according to the study, which was released last month and used older data. The Department of Veterans Affairs spends up to $6 billion in treatments for tobacco-related illnesses, the study found.

The study recommends requiring new officers and enlisted personnel to be tobacco-free, eliminating tobacco use on military installations, ships and aircraft, expanding treatment programs and eliminating the sale of tobacco on military property.

"Any tobacco use while in uniform should be prohibited," the study said.

Report: Smoking Ban May Strike Military - Political News - FOXNews.com

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
"The VA and the Pentagon requested the study, which found that troops worn out by repeated deployments often rely on cigarettes as a "stress reliever."

I am sure it is a "stress reliever" for those who put their lives in peril for their Country.

My take----Leave them alone and why don't they try going out in the fields under gunfire ---see if they might need a smoke as well.

Sun

ashdaburned

Jun 21, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Problem is, they will argue that they should just quit. Using one of the FDA approved devices... LOL. Just like they will say that banning the E-Cig will not force people to return to smoking becuase they should just use the FDA Approved devices. Because they just work SO well, it should be a no brainer, right?
Which just as a side thought. Why are they called NRT's? What exactly are they replacing the nicotine with? (Rhetorical question)

BTW If they ban cigarette smoking then they should ban alcohol consumption. What good is a drunk soldier?
*EDIT* I'm dead serious on that last issue. If they ban the cigarettes, i would imagine alcohol would become a very serious issue.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Good points. But my main reasoning of why I posted this was because I know military personnel making the change to vaping. So will the FDA really dictate on the military when they can get their "stress-relief" and keep their lungs healthy. I mean, a non-smoking soldier is a stronger soldier. So vaping is the best for them.

Pro--Vape, smoke, whatever they what---they have more things to worry about like getting killed.

Sun

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
I don't know if you've seen a Documentary TV Series called "Ross Kemp in Afganhistan" but if you hav'nt it's worth a watch. There's a great moment when the Patrol Kemp is with, comes under heavy fire and He and the Camera crew are lying on the ground ****ting themselves when a squaddie strolls over to them with a Cig in his mouth and ask's "Any of you lad's got a light ?" There are bullets and RPG's flying all over the place. :lol:
Kemp (who never smokes on Camera) pulls a lighter out of his pocket but his hand is shaking so badly he can't keep it still. So the squaddie takes it off him, lights his ... and then goes and squats behind a small wall and smokes away as if nothing is happening.
Sorry. OT.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
Heaven forbid they should have a smoke after dodging bullets or have a smoke or two after having to shoot a 13 yr old kid because he was a suicide bomber. What in the world is this country coming to? I say take the anti-cig whiners and dump em out in the middle of the Pakistan Tribal Lands and see how long they last.

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
The Stars and Stripes came out with an article as well.

Recommended tobacco ban for military is a difficult proposition

Recommended tobacco ban for military is a difficult proposition | Stars and Stripes

Excerpts:

“Tobacco for better or worse is a legal substance,” said Smith, who is reviewing the Institute of Medicine study. A ban would be “radically different than society as a whole.”

The DOD will consider the tobacco recommendations — including immediate bans for new officers and enlisted personnel enforced by urine testing — when it convenes its Medical and Personnel Council in a few months, Smith said.

The board could eventually make tobacco-use recommendations to the secretary of defense. New regulations would require the cooperation of the U.S. Congress, according to the Institute of Medicine.

Sgt. Fred Pedro, an Army recruiter in Albany, N.Y., said the policy of no tobacco in basic training already makes some potential recruits hesitate, and a military-wide ban — enforced by urine testing — could turn off even more prospective enlistees.

“Some folks might have second thoughts, yes,” he said. Testing “is a very, very big step.”

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates drew a line in July following the Institute of Medicine recommendations, saying a downrange ban on tobacco is out of the question.

Neither the Institute of Medicine nor American Lung Association proposed a downrange ban, and both said there should be an exception for war zones. The military has remained protective of cigarettes and tobacco in combat.
:D

ladybug

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
northern calif.
I heard that congress was up to their usual funny buisness,like banning smoking for our guys that have their ... on the line for us! But I think public opinion was so against it,it will never fly! These guys are out there dodging bullets,and they can not have a smoke? They are putting their lives on the line for us,how dare they think of taking away their rights to freedom,which they fight for! Shame on those knuckle-heads!

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Good points. But my main reasoning of why I posted this was because I know military personnel making the change to vaping. So will the FDA really dictate on the military when they can get their "stress-relief" and keep their lungs healthy. I mean, a non-smoking soldier is a stronger soldier. So vaping is the best for them.

I humbly disagree. Non-whatever does not translate to a healthier and stronger soldier, seaman, or airman. Air Force flight line workers are exposed to fumes far more dangerous than smoking cigarettes. Combat Controllers parachute into hostile areas they have not acclimated to and are filled with unknown toxins and chemicals to establish a dropzone that is then seeded with old C-130/140s emissions. During a massive personnel airdrop 10% loss is the cutoff before eyebrows are raised for safety issues. Gulf War syndrome is unrelated to smoking. Vaping with an e-cig at night while on gaurd duty or patrol may be beneficial to avoid detection but fiddling around with the gear is problematic. Healthy lungs...oh please!:?:

SudokuGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
USA-Florida
Oh, it is just an absurd idea. They have to remember that we have a voluntary military. When you enter the service, you already give up some of your freedom but this just carries it too far. They need to worry about the soldiers having the things they need, instead of citizens having to provide them -- I recently saw an article about some lady who provides pillows because there is a shortage. Citizens have also bought bullet-proof vests.

As a veteran myself, I believe in having a strong military so don't think I'm anti-military. I'm also quite the liberal and am tired of our rights slowly being taken away.

ProtoType

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
New Jersey
I humbly disagree. Non-whatever does not translate to a healthier and stronger soldier, seaman, or airman. Air Force flight line workers are exposed to fumes far more dangerous than smoking cigarettes. Combat Controllers parachute into hostile areas they have not acclimated to and are filled with unknown toxins and chemicals to establish a dropzone that is then seeded with old C-130/140s emissions. During a massive personnel airdrop 10% loss is the cutoff before eyebrows are raised for safety issues. Gulf War syndrome is unrelated to smoking. Vaping with an e-cig at night while on gaurd duty or patrol may be beneficial to avoid detection but fiddling around with the gear is problematic. Healthy lungs...oh please!:?:

Excellent post with examples. You are right. But can you really say adding more toxins is still beneficial? Plus, I am sure if a study ensued that there would be evidence that direct inhalation of these substances with tar accumulation is still worse--resulting in soldiers having less endurance & energy..

Also, cigarette smoke actually adds more stress (cardiovascular stress). And it is the fine particles that are burned and inhaled that stick to your lungs, not the big particles (friend of mine did a study on WTC dust and cancer).

It's like drinking vodka in cold weather, you feel you warm up, but your body temperature actually drops.

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com

Thank you, I wholeheartedly agree. Our soldiers need our help, and I for one, am doing EVERYTHING I can to help.;)

Our Armed Forces, and Military deserve our appreciation, and backing, along with our prayers.

Vape-On

Steve:cool:

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Excellent post with examples. You are right. But can you really say adding more toxins is still beneficial? Plus, I am sure if a study ensued that there would be evidence that direct inhalation of these substances with tar accumulation is still worse--resulting in soldiers having less endurance & energy..

Also, cigarette smoke actually adds more stress (cardiovascular stress). And it is the fine particles that are burned and inhaled that stick to your lungs, not the big particles (friend of mine did a study on WTC dust and cancer).

It's like drinking vodka in cold weather, you feel you warm up, but your body temperature actually drops.

I cannot even respond to this. Sending young men and women to a foreign war zone where chances are they will get blown apart is not health driven. Like those they protect, individuals have the RIGHT to choose what to do with their bodies period. Do you support abortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread