• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The Fifth Estate Documentary on Vaping and E-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
While they mainly focussed on Big tobacco wanting to enter the Canadian market this documentary was pretty balanced in it's approach.

They got a couple things wrong, of course, but I'm pretty pleased with what they accomplished.

The Fifth Estate posted the replay for anyone who missed it.

Give it a watch and let's discuss what they got right, what they got wrong and whether or not Big tobacco is truly a threat to the Canadian market.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Thank you for posting... somehow I missed this when it aired.

I feel they got most of it right and I'm pleased that they included the British take on tobacco harm reduction.

And those tobacco company dudes... lol. Vapers hate Big Tobacco. Good luck trying to overtake the industry now. Yeah, they'll have sales but it's a little too little too late.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
"Welcome back, Big tobacco"???
Poor and misleading title. Meant to mislead those that only scan headlines (and cannot be bothered or interested enough to watch the show) to form an incorrect opinion/assessment of the Canadian landscape.

IIRC they did not even touch on Bill 45 Schedule. 3. which will potentially have the greatest impact in harming Canadian smokers. Keeping them from switching.

Also no mention of the FDA debacle down south.

Not a very well rounded or thorough piece in my opinion. I always thought W5 to be unbiased and informative programming.
This one seems skewed as if they have an agenda. Not impressed.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
"Welcome back, Big tobacco"???
Poor and misleading title. Meant to mislead those that only scan headlines (and cannot be bothered or interested enough to watch the show) to form an incorrect opinion/assessment of the Canadian landscape.

IIRC they did not even touch on Bill 45 Schedule. 3. which will potentially have the greatest impact in harming Canadian smokers. Keeping them from switching.

Also no mention of the FDA debacle down south.

Not a very well rounded or thorough piece in my opinion. I always thought W5 to be unbiased and informative programming.
This one seems skewed as if they have an agenda. Not impressed.

Well, in all fairness to The Fifth Estate, the report was actually about BT wanting to enter the Canadian marketplace but unable to do so until there were some regulations in place. If they were going to do a report about vaping in general I don't believe it would have been titled as such.

They may not have touched on the regulations because at the time of reporting, the outline may not have even been there or hammered out to what it exists as today as a Bill.

And again, in all fairness, they only have 40 minutes in which to present their report (thus perhaps the focus on BT making preparations on entering the Canadian marketplace).

A report on the vaping community in general could be titled "The Best Way to Quit Smoking" lol
That would get some people's attention. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread