The future of e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I've only been involved with vaping 2 weeks. I feel my introduction to this is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because of the enjoyment I've experienced and the health benefits that have resulted from switching from analogs. A curse because the dreaded e-cig ban threatens to snatch this experience away from me. I almost wish I'd never learned anything about e-cigarettes.

Are we doing ourselves and others a disservice by continuing to share, promote and encourage the use of a product and/or services which may no longer be available in the very near future?

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Are we doing ourselves and others a disservice by continuing to share, promote and encourage the use of a product and/or services which may no longer be available in the very near future?

No, IMO. We're doing nothing wrong, so why act as though we are? That would only serve to give ammunition to ill-informed people who think there's no vapour without smoke, so to speak.

MIKEOUK

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
cumbria uk
i truly believe that any country that bans e cigs is doing so for deeper reasons than unknown health implications. The e cig can not possibly be more lethal than tobacco, yet, because its an unknown quantity, certain countries have seen fit to ban it. Im sure it has more to do with the potential loss of tax revenue than the health issues,,,,just shows how corrupt and uncaring some governments are.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
No, IMO. We're doing nothing wrong, so why act as though we are? That would only serve to give ammunition to ill-informed people who think there's no vapour without smoke, so to speak.

I understand that point, but I was thinking about the responsibility one has to another by exposing them to something without giving them assurance that they'll receive proper guidance and support.

Take myself, or instance. My wife and I both are smokers.

More accurately, I was a smoker, my wife still is. She's aware of e-cigarettes through my participation but I can't responsibly sponsor her into this "thing of ours" because I cannot bear the thought of her breaking free from the harmful effects of cigarettes and having to quickly go back.

It's kind of like what those kids from Slumdog Millionaire faced upon being introduced to Western culture. All they knew of were the conditions which they grew up with. Then comes this movie and they're exposed to conditions that are much better than what they were accustomed to. When the eventuality came that they had to return to those sad conditions, they were quite dissatisfied (an understatement, I'm sure).

Those of us already involved in the vaping experience understand what we'll have to face if vaping is no longer allowed. Wouldn't it be a loving act to shield "innocents" from the discomfort we ourselves would rather not face?

Last edited:

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Those of us already involved in the vaping experience understand what we'll have to face if vaping is no longer allowed. Wouldn't it be a loving act to shield "innocents" from the discomfort we would rather not face?

Again, no IMO. Don't take this the wrong way, but there's a lot of truth to the saying that "a coward dies a thousand deaths". We have PVs now and that's good - let's enjoy them and do our best to make sure they remain available.

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
My plan is to stock up on supplies, cut the nicotine to 0 and if I want to keep vaping after that (very likely), switch to a 0-nic base and flavor it.

I would be VERY surprised if vaporizers are going to be banned. More likely nicquid banned and carts sold filled only by Big Pharma and only be prescription. No interest in that program. If Big Pharma's NRT schedules worked, I wouldn't even be having this discussion with you fine folks.

Legato525

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
You need not worry. In fact, spreading the word to the people about personal vaporizers helps our cause here in the US. The more people who use PV's, the more the government must accept us as a group of people that are not going away. The government will not ban them permanently, and over time, the industry will flourish and all this headache will be gone. Henry Ford, Tesla and many other inventors faced governmental scrutiny, It will pass. Continue to educate every smoker you know, for you are doing them a favor.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
<<Those of us already involved in the vaping experience understand what we'll have to face if vaping is no longer allowed. Wouldn't it be a loving act to shield "innocents" from the discomfort we would rather not face?>>

Well, knowing how well I feel after just 3 weeks' vaping, I would regard this state of grace as a marvellous respite, a piece of charmed living to be valued even if it ended. However, I wouldn't keep anyone in a state of ignorance about the possible transience of this sabbatical away from tar and other muck.

:sneaky:

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
i truly believe that any country that bans e cigs is doing so for deeper reasons than unknown health implications. The e cig can not possibly be more lethal than tobacco, yet, because its an unknown quantity, certain countries have seen fit to ban it. Im sure it has more to do with the potential loss of tax revenue than the health issues,,,,just shows how corrupt and uncaring some governments are.

There's a saying I heard many years ago that's become a life long mantra for me:

You can't make sense out of nonsense.

Everything you've said makes sense.

The very fact that we're even discussing this is proof that common sense is not a motivating factor for legislators intent on eliminating e-cigarettes. Over the years, I've learned to never underestimate the ignorance of my fellow man, so this doesn't really surprise me...

...though it does annoy and anger me.

Understanding this ignorance and how far it could possibly extend, it would be irresponsible for me to involve someone else...especially a loved one...in an insane situation I would prefer to escape.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
You need not worry. In fact, spreading the word to the people about personal vaporizers helps our cause here in the US. The more people who use PV's, the more the government must accept us as a group of people that are not going away. The government will not ban them permanently, and over time, the industry will flourish and all this headache will be gone. Henry Ford, Tesla and many other inventors faced governmental scrutiny, It will pass. Continue to educate every smoker you know, for you are doing them a favor.

Perhaps you're correct.

I could be simply looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
Continue to educate every smoker you know, for you are doing them a favor.

To add to this, not only is it important to educate every smoker you know, but it would be a good idea to educate your doctor/doctors.

On your next appointment, tell them your story, explain the PV (how it works), and if you are comfortable (and with their permission) demo it for them. Or do what I did this past week and make an appointment for the sole purpose of bragging (I have been analogue free by choice since I started vaping as I prefer the PV. Still addicted, but working on that). :D

Yes, the personal stories are anecdotal, but this is how we plant positive seeds with the people we need backing us on the usage.

:)

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
The very fact that we're even discussing this is proof that common sense is not a motivating factor for legislators intent on eliminating e-cigarettes.
IMO, the common sense factor is that the PV community is currently small and relatively well researched. If PVs were to explode in usage, you would have who-knows-how-many people out there with no guidance on ??mg strength juice (nicotine is a poison) dripping away based on YouTube videos.

No government on the planet is going to rubber stamp that.

qdilla

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
the windy city

That's what i believe is all about taxes,taxes,taxes loss of revenue, 61 billion a year industry people getting their cut,keeping their pockets fat and pushing their wack a$z stop smoking products and drugs.BIG tobacco very evil people.The FDA should be ashamed of themselves, tobacco kills so many many people and they know this. so if e cigs are baned shouldn't cigs be ban also.

wafaliberty

Inactive RS-Offline
Mar 28, 2009
USA
www.smokeliberty.com
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu

wafaliberty

Inactive RS-Offline
Mar 28, 2009
USA
www.smokeliberty.com
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
You and me both, justtry. You and me both.

Let Big Tobacco and Big Pharma rot.

I would rather cut my own arm off than to give either of those bloodsuckers another thin dime.

One plays the game to get us hooked (plausable deniability) and the other puts out overpriced and innefective "remedies" to quit.

Let 'em both pound sand.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
IMO, the common sense factor is that the PV community is currently small and relatively well researched. If PVs were to explode in usage, you would have who-knows-how-many people out there with no guidance on ??mg strength juice (nicotine is a poison) dripping away based on YouTube videos.

No government on the planet is going to rubber stamp that.

Which is partly the reason we're going through what we're going through...The FDA cannot have an unregulated drug such as Nicotine uncontrolled in the US... The PV craze is growing - I see new members on this forum alone DAILY - there are noob questions all the time...

If PVs were to explode in usage

If our forum is one small microcosm of the vaping community at large, that explosion is happening already... To the FDA, that's more American citizens using an unregulated recreational drug - one that, if used improperly, can KILL.

They need to slap some restrictions on the niquid. That's their JOB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread