The Gas Station Argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosTheory

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2012
Baltimore
www.epicdelusion.com
hahah, this guy at work devised a pretty intelligent argument against Ecigs.. I'm not so sure why he's made it his mission to question me, but it's hilarious. He said, "ecigs should be banned because someone might be hitting it at a gas station and freak everybody out"

I suppose the argument is that some ecigs present the appearance of traditional cigarettes, so they arouse suspicion from passerby, restaurant owners, government officials, etc that you're actually smoking a lit tobacco product. So what if someone vapes in front of a gas leak or a stack of propane tanks or in a hospital?

I told him that it would be funny to vape at a gas station and see a bunch of old ladies and him running away in terror, haha...

but then it got me thinkin', is this going to be one of those orange plastic caps on toy guns situations? Are Ecigs going to be the target of needless regulations such as forcing the companies to produce batteries that do not resemble traditional cigarettes?

Every time my imagination runs wild with theoretical and absurd laws, they end up becoming reality.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
What people think, and what they can enforce (after checking out what's really going on) are two different things. I wouldn't worry about it... but I don't vape while I fill up either.

There are pics of people vaping in hospitals here on ECF. IDK if it was technically allowed... may depend on the situation/location.

The anti-smoking extremists already target them anyway... without proper research (deliberately?).

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
Your going to have people freaking out about something that looks like smoke around a gas pump. Just don't vape at the pumps. Okay?:closedeyes:

You're going to have people freaking out about something that looks like smoke around a gas pump.
Just let the ...... go right ahead and freak on out. Okay?:closedeyes:

Fixed it for ya. ;)

iamtopher34

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2010
Sandy Utah
I work with explosives and chain vape. At first i had a lot of people at work getting mad at me but i took the time to explain to them what it was and show them there was nothing to fear. The guy you work with should be banned.. I fear people like him so put him jail so i don't have to fear seeing him in public.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
From my earliest memories (I'm 63) to around the late 1990's, many people smoked while their rides were being refuelled. Before self-serve became the norm, it was a 50-50% chance that the attendant who filled your tank had a lit cigarette dangling from his lips. No one thought anything of it.

In all that time, I don't recall one single news report of an explosion or fire at a gas station. Nor do I ever recall seeing a gas station or pump with any sort of fire damage, except in action flicks. Doesn't mean it never happened, but I just don't recall it ever happening in the real world.

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
From my earliest memories (I'm 63) to around the late 1990's, many people smoked while their rides were being refuelled. Before self-serve became the norm, it was a 50-50% chance that the attendant who filled your tank had a lit cigarette dangling from his lips. No one thought anything of it.

In all that time, I don't recall one single news report of an explosion or fire at a gas station. Nor do I ever recall seeing a gas station or pump with any sort of fire damage, except in action flicks. Doesn't mean it never happened, but I just don't recall it ever happening in the real world.

Same here. I've pulled out my zippo and lit up a smoke while pumping gas more times than I could possibly count.

You know what happens when you drop a lit cigarette into an open container of gasoline? The cigarette goes out.

Know what happens when you drop a lit match into an open container of gasoline? The match goes out.

Yes, I've done both.

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Same here. I've lit pulled out my zippo and lit up a smoke while pumping gas more times than I could possibly count.

You know what happens when you drop a lit cigarette into an open container of gasoline? The cigarette goes out.

Know what happens when you drop a lit match into an open container of gasoline? The match goes out.

Yes, I've done both.

Hee hee! My wastrel, teenage friends and I have done those too, back in the day!

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
To the OP, you friend has peculiar arguments, for sure! I agree that we should not try to look like we are smoking. The ones that look like cigs are also the worst-performing ones possible.

subliminalurge, your post made me laugh. In some of my mis-spent youth on a farm I have done both, and worse! Gas needs to have a lot more air to go pow. I too have seen many cigs lit and smoked at a gas pump.

I also know a guy that has half a face because he lit a cig in a car with an empty gas can in the back seat.

Still? The coils of nearly any PV can be red-hot. I won't gamble that a waft of fumes from two pumps down won't have enough air to go pow. Vaping near dangerous things to freak out little old ladies demonstrates a need for several things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread