, The good charger, The bad charger, And the ugly charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
So, because i have recently bought an Xtar VC2 charger, which is the absolutely slowest battery charger in existence, i've been searching around the web for another charger which would charge my 18650's quicker. Just to point out, the Xtar VC2 charger takes all day, literally, to charge two Sony VTC4 2100 mah 18650 batteries. I'm talking about 17 or 18 hours. I know that The Xtar VC2 charges these batteries at a rate which is best for the overall life of the battery but life really is too short, it really is !. Before i got this charger i was using an Xtar single bay MP1S which works really well and only takes 3 or 4 of hours with the same batteries i mentioned earlier, but only one at a time obviously.
Now i'm in the market for another Battery charger. The Xtar VP1 looks like a pretty good charger. Read a few reviews and found that it charges pretty quick so tomorrow i'm going to buy it. Does it really matter that charging batteries quickly at 1a rather than 0.5a reduces the overall life of the battery if it takes a quarter of the time to charge it ?. Does anyone have a preference ?. What's the best charger you've had or have ?. Do you care how long it takes to charge your batteries ?. Have you had any accidents with a charger and what happened ?. Is it safe to add batteries to a multiple bay charger while it is already charging batteries ?. And can batteries be removed from a charger while other batteries continue to charge ?. Would you recommend buying a charger from Ebay or Amazon ?, and if not , why not ?.

The problem i'm having at the moment is, even though i have enough batteries to replace those that need switching out to be charged, my charger is so hideously slow that they don't charge in time and so i end up with a pile of batteries that need charging and no fresh ones to use. I can get through 4 batteries in one day in my box mod but i only have 8 suitable paired batteries. I could buy more and i will but i'm still stuck with the problem of the batteries piling up waiting to be charged. So i absolutely have to get a faster charger but not neccessarily with more bays because i'll be stuck with the same problem i already have. Those chargers with multiple bays charge batteries as slowly as the one i already have, at 0.1a !. It's madness. So how do you get round this problem ?. Is it an issue for you too ?.

If you've got a good charger which charges multiple batteries quickly please tell me what it is and where i can get one.

Edit : Does it matter if a charger runs on a USB or a mains plug ?. Can this make a difference to charging times ?.

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
one of my best vape investments ... a quality charger.

pila-ibc.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I absolutely do not know what the best chargers are but I had 2 chargers that came originally with my first stuff
I wouldn't recommend them- okay I can't - they were noname,

anyway next I got a nitecore single bay usb powered and was shocked at how fast it charged (used to be like 8 hours, then this usb charger charged batts in 2 maybe 3 hours!)
I have 2 of those single bay usb chargers still plugged in standing by but my main charger happens now to by a dual (independent bays) nitecore d2, and I got about 6 to 10 batteries depending on how you count; and so far I've only used the charger in 'low' mode, (I have to specifically set that)

So:
bottom line:
The 2 fast chargers I have are nitecore UM10 and they use usb input and I use a 2 amp wallwart to power them
and they are in an iron pot.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Something missing or wrong here, even at 3.4 v my Samsung and lg only take 4-5 hours are you sure the charger is getting the full power it needs from the plug ? the mamp meter should be pegged at 500 ma or 0.5A

That's the thing, it's plugged into a USB port on a plug. My single bay charger was plugged into the same USB port.
The charger i'm using says it's charging at 0.1a when i'm charging 2 batteries and 0.2a when charging one.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
something is definitely wrong with your X-Tar VC2, mine takes 4 hrs max for 2 18650's and that's with the batts drained below 3.5.....i usually re-charge around 3.7 or a bit more and it takes less time. maybe you need to invest in the correct wall-wart for this charger.
Xtar AC Wall Adapter 750mA - RTD vapor

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
That's the thing, it's plugged into a USB port on a plug. My single bay charger was plugged into the same USB port.
The charger i'm using says it's charging at 0.1a when i'm charging 2 batteries and 0.2a when charging one.
Ahh the problem is the plug isn't rated high enough, find a wall wart rated at 1 amp or higher, it really needs 1 amp or better to get the full .5 per channel

Reactions: evan le'garde

jmercury1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
ny
I use the XTAR VP1 and there's no nonsense about USBs. Wall adaptor, which is the way to go. I set it for .5A and it's finished somewhere around 4 hours.
i also use my fatefull vp1 and vp2. both are great. the vp2 my favorite and has more features. very fast charging modes.

Reactions: Nermal

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
So, because i have recently bought an Xtar VC2 charger, which is the absolutely slowest battery charger in existence, i've been searching around the web for another charger which would charge my 18650's quicker. Just to point out, the Xtar VC2 charger takes all day, literally, to charge two Sony VTC4 2100 mah 18650 batteries. I'm talking about 17 or 18 hours. I know that The Xtar VC2 charges these batteries at a rate which is best for the overall life of the battery but life really is too short, it really is !. Before i got this charger i was using an Xtar single bay MP1S which works really well and only takes 3 or 4 of hours with the same batteries i mentioned earlier, but only one at a time obviously.
Now i'm in the market for another Battery charger. The Xtar VP1 looks like a pretty good charger. Read a few reviews and found that it charges pretty quick so tomorrow i'm going to buy it. Does it really matter that charging batteries quickly at 1a rather than 0.5a reduces the overall life of the battery if it takes a quarter of the time to charge it ?. Does anyone have a preference ?. What's the best charger you've had or have ?. Do you care how long it takes to charge your batteries ?. Have you had any accidents with a charger and what happened ?. Is it safe to add batteries to a multiple bay charger while it is already charging batteries ?. And can batteries be removed from a charger while other batteries continue to charge ?. Would you recommend buying a charger from Ebay or Amazon ?, and if not , why not ?.

The problem i'm having at the moment is, even though i have enough batteries to replace those that need switching out to be charged, my charger is so hideously slow that they don't charge in time and so i end up with a pile of batteries that need charging and no fresh ones to use. I can get through 4 batteries in one day in my box mod but i only have 8 suitable paired batteries. I could buy more and i will but i'm still stuck with the problem of the batteries piling up waiting to be charged. So i absolutely have to get a faster charger but not neccessarily with more bays because i'll be stuck with the same problem i already have. Those chargers with multiple bays charge batteries as slowly as the one i already have, at 0.1a !. It's madness. So how do you get round this problem ?. Is it an issue for you too ?.

If you've got a good charger which charges multiple batteries quickly please tell me what it is and where i can get one.

Edit : Does it matter if a charger runs on a USB or a mains plug ?. Can this make a difference to charging times ?.

I'd recommend the Opus BT-C3400: Amazon.com: BT-C3400 Universal Battery Charger Analyzer Tester for Li-ion NiMH NiCd rechargeable batteries: Electronics

The fan is a bit noisy at times, but it is also a tester/analyzer/refresher.

Reactions: WillyZee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread