Not open for further replies.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
That is crazy! Don't the coils degrade? How is that possible
some do...I purchased 5 packs of coils (25 total) when I purchased my 5 protanks( 1 ,2 and mini 1 and 2 mini 2's)...so had 30 coils total...I now have 18 left ....so a total of 12 have "popped" or no longer work for for some reason. on I have noticed some color change and thinning of some of the small o rings, so I suspect that I may be reaching maximum life span..but 4 months + use off of 25 ...$1 coils works for me me. Hope to learn to recoil this week...now that I have purchased all the needs for my toolkit...including a 20x lighted magnifying glass ( old lady eyes)...ohm meter,,,touch and the rest....may the vape gods be with me

Ksweizen

Jan 5, 2013
Ca
some do...I purchased 5 packs of coils (25 total) when I purchased my 5 protanks( 1 ,2 and mini 1 and 2 mini 2's)...so had 30 coils total...I now have 18 left ....so a total of 12 have "popped" or no longer work for for some reason. on I have noticed some color change and thinning of some of the small o rings, so I suspect that I may be reaching maximum life span..but 4 months + use off of 25 ...$1 coils works for me me. Hope to learn to recoil this week...now that I have purchased all the needs for my toolkit...including a 20x lighted magnifying glass ( old lady eyes)...ohm meter,,,touch and the rest....may the vape gods be with me

Looks like most of the time you have gotten a good run, perhaps if people are not into rebuilding that's all you can ask for.

It happens to all of us, the coils will eventually degrade but even the older coils from what your saying can be revamped and brought back working condition.
Vape happy

sonnetjie

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
New Zealand
I would love some recommendations on juice that doesn't gunk up coils. I've been using a kayfun lite + for about 6 weeks now with a micro coil and cotton. It works great, but I got tired of having to dry burn and change the cotton every 2 days.

I've been trying unflavoured juice and it's been 8 days since I've had to change the cotton. It's not a bad taste. I've been using about 30/70 vg/pg. The vg gives it a nice sweet taste. But I miss changing up flavors.

Last edited:

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
That is crazy! Don't the coils degrade? How is that possible

Frequent Maintenance.

I still have coils from 2 months ago or so, at least that I can verify. I went through all my used Kanger heads and threw away the ones with the white rubber grommet and replaced them with heads that have the white silicone grommet. I found the taste from the rubber after a few dry burns to be stomach turning.

I do not run more than 6-8 mils through any head. I wash them with hotwater, pull apart, dry burn, rinse, replace flavor wick with cotton and throw them in the "clean head bowl" on my desk. I do not use any alcohol, vinegar or other solvents. Just hot water. Take a total of about 40 minutes every few weeks to clean the heads when I have enough to mess with.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
I would love some recommendations on juice that doesn't gunk up coils. I've been using a kayfun lite + for about 6 weeks now with a micro coil and cotton. It works great, but I got tired of having to dry burn and change the cotton every 2 days.

I've been trying unflavoured juice and it's been 8 days since I've had to change the cotton. It's not a bad taste. I've been using about 30/70 vg/pg. The vg gives it a nice sweet taste. But I miss changing up flavors.

Clear non sweet juices do not gunk coils much...I had a DIY peppermint from a friend that was STRONG 50/50 and not sweet...think altoids mints on steroids....it did not gunk coils.

Plain unflavored does not gunk much.

Mystic Madalime Frost Blossom, and A quiet morning (Alice in Vapeland) do not gunk much

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
1.For me: Anything from JC are coil killers, but they have great flavor. Their silverthorn is so realistic tabacco it's amazing, yet I can't get more then .5ml through a pro tank before the night terrors kick in :D

2. Yet to have any real long lasting coils from juice. Avg protank coil life is 2 days or less.

3. About to get rid of tanks and go rda.

I was a JC fan, now I'm DIY. I don't know what they use but yes my worst liquid lasts much longer than their best (not all of them are killers). They must've changed something because I originally was getting a week or 2 out of Tundra in an eGo-C and that suddenly changed to lucky to get 3 days, about that same time I noticed a taste change in Solstice.

I wouldn't even use Silverthorn because it BROKE eGo-C coils quickly and plugged up their cartos without even using them (loaded up a bunch for my roommate, he never made the switch, I went to use them and they were all plugged).
You really need RDA/RBA and VV with heavy ribbon to get longevity joy out of the gunkier JC's. I've actually mixed some Silverthorn in with my DIY to gunk up a new mesh wick to break it in faster. Using a Vivi-Nova and a Silverthorn Tennessee Cured mix I'd quickly have my voltage cranked to power through the blob before the tank was emptied.
The heavy ribbon withstands a lot of dry burns.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Hmm dyi? Are you happy with your flavored incomparison to jc's flavor? I've been wanting to DIY but I never think it will be as good. Since we both are jc fans would be interesting to get your take on this

Part of the driving force getting me into DIY was I loved Solstice, it caused me to accidentally quit. Then I stopped tasting watermelon in it. Then it started tasting bad. I don't know if it's my tongue or they changed something (it tastes like they added tobacco flavor to me).

I've got a watermelon that tastes like watermelon but it's not the same because I don't get along with PG so I try to keep my PG flavoring below 10%. I eventually hit on peach-strawberry that I like as much as Solstice, except when people smell it they think it's cotton candy.

I was only really worried about replacing Tundra. It's only a basic mint bomb but it was dialed in. I had peppermint-banana that is a good mix, a mint bomb that was good but nothing that had me thinking it could replace Tundra. Then I hit on a simple Doublemint, so far that can be my ADV like Tundra was.
I don't know about tobacco flavors, I stopped being a fan, but I have worked out some coffee flavors I like for situations tobaccos do well in. I doubt if you could replace Silverthorn.

It may take time but you should be able to hit on enough flavors especially if you're not limited on PG amounts.

Even my gunkiest liquids are much better than everything from JC recently (Tundra seemed to be cleaner and more equal to my DIY but they must've changed something).

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Part of the driving force getting me into DIY was I loved Solstice, it caused me to accidentally quit. Then I stopped tasting watermelon in it. Then it started tasting bad. I don't know if it's my tongue or they changed something (it tastes like they added tobacco flavor to me).

I've got a watermelon that tastes like watermelon but it's not the same because I don't get along with PG so I try to keep my PG flavoring below 10%. I eventually hit on peach-strawberry that I like as much as Solstice, except when people smell it they think it's cotton candy.

I was only really worried about replacing Tundra. It's only a basic mint bomb but it was dialed in. I had peppermint-banana that is a good mix, a mint bomb that was good but nothing that had me thinking it could replace Tundra. Then I hit on a simple Doublemint, so far that can be my ADV like Tundra was.
I don't know about tobacco flavors, I stopped being a fan, but I have worked out some coffee flavors I like for situations tobaccos do well in. I doubt if you could replace Silverthorn.

It may take time but you should be able to hit on enough flavors especially if you're not limited on PG amounts.

Even my gunkiest liquids are much better than everything from JC recently (Tundra seemed to be cleaner and more equal to my DIY but they must've changed something).

I totally relate to you, Myk! I'm gonna try not to alter the thread topic to much but my problem was like yours, I find a flavor I love but I can't afford to keep buying it (even if it's cheaper than cigs), and some flavors I sort of liked but wished were slightly different. And my biggest problem is that I just don't like most flavors. I'm really weird when it comes to finding a flavor I really love. I do vape meets and have tons of flavors and raffles and samples, etc., and I still only vape my DIY. lol. I highly recommend that once a new vaper gets their feet wet and really want to enjoy vaping, they consider DIY. It allows you to make a juice the way you like it. And like you mentioned, I loved a cinnamon churro flavor from a vendor but it was $13 for a 15 ml bottle. And I finally figured out how to make something super similar for real cheap. The same with a vanilla from another vendor, and I really loved a vendor's Cracker Jacks type juice but it totally gunked up my coils and was sort of thin and seemed to vaporize fast. I figured out a very similar recipe and it doesn't gunk my coils and it's dirt cheap. I love high VG flavors and need high VG. Most vendors have a difficult time making a real tasty high VG flavor. I'm picky. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread