The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The Great Carto Tank Death Match Round 1. Liquinator vs Depth Charge.

Discussion in 'Tank Reviews' started by Lance_Wallen, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Lance_Wallen

Lance_Wallen Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2011
    Fort Worth
    So, I'm a carto tank fan. I currently own three liquinators from vaporescence and a depth charge from Vapor Age.

I'm going to be ordering other carto tanks as time, supply, and money permits but for now I'll do round one.

Carto Tank Death Match: Round 1, liquinator vs depth charge.
    All categories are scored on scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the better score.

Products Tested:
    · Regular carto style, 3ml Liquinator with aluminum cap
    · Regular carto style, 3ml Liquinator with Delrin cap
    · Regular carto style 2.2ml Depth Charge with Stainless Steel cap

Appearance:
    · Alum Liquinator: 3
    o The Liquinator has an appearance that some love and some hate. I personally like it but don’t love it. Both caps have lips on them to make it easier to take them off the tube, aesthetically this bothers some people. The aluminum is shiny and very uniform in finish
    · Delrin Liquinator: 3
    o See above, I personally like the delrin looks as much as the aluminum, tastes may vary.
    · Depth Charge: 4
    o The depth charge is very attractive, the end caps are beveled and they use an orange o-ring which gives it a sort of industrial or steam punk appeal that I like. Aesthetics are very relative to the person looking so you may completely disagree but I personally find the depth charge more attractive than the Liquinator

Capacity:
    · Both Liquinators: 3
    o The 3ml liquinator holds just about 3ml, it’s a good quantity for a small tank and it does it very efficiently with very little space wasted for the caps. The 5mil version, phat 5.5, and their BFT Which I believe is 8ml can only be better in this regard, I’m only giving this a 3 because it’s a ‘small’ tank and there are some cartos you can get almost the same amount of juice in these days.
    · Depth Charge: 1.5
    o The depth charge is ~2.2ml, it might hold 1. You ‘could’ get 2.2 in there if physics didn’t exist, I’ll go into this more in the refilling section. The tank is small and a lot of the ‘tube’ is wasted by the large caps that go with it. There’s hardly any point in putting this on a carto, the tank is shorter than a carto where as on the liquinator it’s almost exactly the same length as a standard carto body which makes the liquinator much more ‘tank like’ than the depth charge.

Ease of refilling:
    · Liquinators: 4
    o The liquinators you just pop in the carto a little ways and squirt in some juice. As long as you make sure not to squirt the juice directly into the carto hole you don’t make a mess and it takes less time than refilling an actual carto so it does great. There’s another tank out there that I’m reserving a perfect score for otherwise this one would have had it.
    · Depth Charge: 2
    o In theory the depth charge should refill as easily as the liquinator, however the caps on the depth charge are much longer meaning you have to put the carto further in which makes it almost impossible to get more juice in. If you take the cap off and fill it up you have to ‘guess’ how full to make it or risk putting too much juice in. If you manage to take the cap off, fill it to the perfect height and then put the cap on the pressure of seating the cap will force a lot of juice into your carto, back out of your carto and in my case directly onto my crotch (since that’s where it was pointing by chance) I’ve refilled mine 4 times trying different tricks and no matter what I do it’s messier and more of a pain in the butt. What ends up happening is I only fill it half way which lowers the capacity even more to the point that It’s almost pointless to use.

Durability:
    o The tank is thick walled enough that I’m not worried about breaking it, it’s made of poly carbonate, the caps are aluminum, it’s a very solid device. I’m not entirely sure of the durability of the o-rings yet. My delrin liquinators are a month old and have had numerous refills and still don’t leak or give me a hard time.
    o All the same qualities as the liquinator in this regard. Though I am a little concerned about the o-rings, I’ll assume they are equal in durability to the liquinator. They’re like gaskets in a car though, they’re gonna wear out.

Build quality:
    · Liquinators: 3
    o The liquinators are solid devices but between the two delrin models I have one ismuch more slippery on the carto than the other. My aluminum one is very tight which I like. If they all felt the same as the aluminum liquinator I’d give them a 4 on build quality but because there is a noticeable variance and one of my delrin tanks out of the box has blemished o-rings I’m giving them a three.
    o This is a very well build tank, very solid, tight tolerances. It’s very firm on the carto and you have to really push on it to slide it out.

Price:
    o The liquinators are probably the second cheapest tank out there. You can get rubber cap tanks for less, the delrin are more affordable and the aluminum is still cheaper than the depth charge but there are cheaper tanks out there that will do the job. You do get a carto precut and a drip tip with each order which brings the price down.
    · Depth Charge: 1
    o This tank is the most expensive I’ve found, even the smallest 2.2ml version which is a direct competitor to the liquinators tested here is quite a bit more expensive and you don’t get anything except the tank for that money.

Summary: Total points possible 30. Liquinator 21, Depth Charge 16.5
    I had high hopes for the depth charge tank, it looked hot, had a lot of folks really interested in it and excited but at the end of the day it’s just pretty. A tank is a convenience item to me. As such it has to offer convenience. I need to be refilling it less often than a carto and when I do refill it, it needs to be relatively easy to do. I enjoy tanks because it makes my carto taste brand new and freshly filled the entire time it has juice in the tank, I’m willing to give up a little convenience factor for that alone BUT I’m not willing to make it more work than a carto just to use it, I’ve got a feeder I can get a similar effect if I want the extra work. As it stands the liquinator costs less, looks fine, has good materials, very efficient use of space giving it great capacity for its overall size, and is quite easy to refill. The depth charge looks amazing but it’s too small, too hard to refill, and too expensive. If the depth charge size went up to an actual 3ml capacity and they made them easier to refill ala gummy tank I’d pay the extra money just for the aesthetics, as it stands though it’s not worth the money. Winner – Liquinator.

I am always looking for more tank designs to try, I’m very specifically working with carto tanks, preferably standard carto tanks and not DC or XL length. If you have suggestions or have a tank you’d like to throw in the ring feel free to PM me on the forums or try to catch me in the ECF IRC room, I go by Lance there as well.

2. hisfattness

hisfattness Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 27, 2011
    CT
  3. Clinton

Clinton Super Member ECF Veteran

Thank you. I'm wondering how well those $20 ones from Kalamazoo hold up. The price is killer!

4. Dalton63841

Dalton63841 Moved On

Feb 14, 2011
    Maine
    Alot of people who get the Depth charge make the slight modification of driving a small screw through the side. This allows you to fill it completely, without removing the caps at all.

***I know for the money this shouldn't be necessary, but it may help someone to know this.

5. Lance_Wallen

Aug 11, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Dalton, I'll probably end up doing that. I just hate that I need to. You can get a VV Box mod batteries and a cheapy charger for only slightly more than what I paid for the depth charge.

Clinton, what are these kalamazoo tanks you're talkin of?

6. GAC

GAC Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Good write up, I have an aluminum liquidnator on the way

7. Vaporologist

Vaporologist Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 26, 2010
    Epic Journey
    Nice write up, Lance! :thumb:

I ordered my SS Liquinator on the first day they got released and have been enjoying it very much for all the reasons you mentioned. I have been eyeing the Depth Charge for a few days and have been planning to order it as soon as SS tubes are available. It does look sweet imo.

A question for you, since you have both... What are your thoughts on merging the two and making a Depth Charginator? Basically, using the bottom SS cap from the LQ and the top cap from the DC... It sounds like maybe that would resolve the refilling issue with the Depth Charge plus the flat cap from the LQ would look better on some PVs?

Edit: Also, do you have any experience with this tank? http://bigdaddyvapor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

8. GAC

GAC Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2011
    Colorado Springs
  9. Lance_Wallen

Aug 11, 2011
    Fort Worth
    On the topic of making a 'depth charginator' the two are incompatible. the tubes are different diameters. You 'can' get a bigger tube from Vapor Age by getting the longer torpedo tank tube but imo that should have been the size tube it came with. I personally wont pay 50 bucks for sometihng then 4 more to make it what it should have been. It wont resolve the refilling issue either, the caps are very deep so you have to push the carto pretty far in to get juice in unless you use a needle and even then it's still a pain in the butt.

On the topic of hte big daddy, I havn't seen those before. I'll check into em, if it's in the budget I'll order one to test. THe next tank I get will be going up against the current champ, the liquinator.

10. Lance_Wallen

Aug 11, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Just looked at the big daddy a little closer. I won't be reviewing that one for a long while. I'm not that interested in dual coil cartos. I really enjoy my boge 2.0s and 3.0s and they are standard length. I don't want to fiddle with the dual coils, they've been very inconsistant for me whereas the boge cartos are the same out of the box 9 times out of 10.

So, if it's not compatible with a standard length carto I'm not going after it for now. Later once I've run through all the standards I'll try the folks that make DC only tanks like the DCT Map, big daddy, etc.

11. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the review, but why no pics? Everyone likes to see pics.. come on, don't be lazy! :p

12. them0nk

them0nk Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2009
    San Bernardino, CA
    i agree... pictures are worth way more... specially LARGE pictures... even decent smartphone pics...

i'm waffling about even trying a tank at all. hard to want to change up whats worked for so long... and the extra bulk on a PS icon... hmm

i keep reading terrible things about liquinator customer service... that is a HUGE problem for me. ... they look stupidly easy to make for a ex-machinist. wonder why i never thought of it heh. i think i just got lazy on ecig stuff.

almost all of the tanks and weird things i've seen today look somewhat like a sham. bandaids for the minimal problems that ecigs actually have...

Edit: just ordered the liquinator aluminum (aluminator i guess lol) - didnt want the extra weight of the SS and i wanted something metal... i dont trust plastic that much.
    i haven't figured out how to "adjust" these tanks yet (from staring at pictures) which is one thing i think would be helpfull... i actually like my cartos more when they're less full. they might burn out faster that way but a "fresh" carto filled and then puffed to me isn't as warm or flavorful.

on my last carto right now... have to order something... bleh.

13. Vaporologist

May 26, 2010
    Epic Journey
    Ahh gotcha. I wasn't aware of the difference in diameter between tubes for those tanks. Thanks for the info.

From what I hear, they should have a 3ml version coming soon. I was entertaining the idea of ordering the current model and cutting down the tube... I don't know how it performs, I just like the way it seems to look in the pictures. Since the price point is right, I'll just order one and check it out. Thanks.

14. tyleris12

tyleris12 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Michigan
    I can use my tank tube from my delrin liquinator on my new mini Depth Charger and it is a perfect fit. I can just pop my top cap off, fill it up and am good to go...JMOP. :)

15. Lance_Wallen

Aug 11, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I'll include pictures in my next death match with all the tanks I have.

also, I apologise. I stand corrected about the tube diameter. They are infact the same diameter between the depth charge and the liquinator. I'll have to try putting my depth charge caps on the longer liquinator tube, though with the increased size of the depth charge caps as far as depth and height I'm worried with a standard carto they might not accept a drip tip or be 'too' long to fit a standard carto though. I'll fiddle with it next time my tanks are empty. right now they all have juice in em :p

16. Lance_Wallen

Aug 11, 2011
    Fort Worth
    another note: if any tank manufacturers are out there reading this. Here's what i'd consider a 'perfect' tank for a standard carto.

1. holds at least 3mil of juice, preferably 5mil.
    2. removeable set screw for refilling, preferably with a hole at the base that is large enough for an 18gauge needle and has a rubber o-ring that the set screw seats against to prevent leaking.
    3. threaded caps that go on the metal tank (can be male or female, whatever gives the best tank capacity and leak proofs)
    4. metal 'tank' with a pyrex window that runs the full length of hte tank for seeing how much juice is in it.
    5. two o-rings inside each cap for the cartomizer to virtually eliminate leaking.

If you think you can make this, prototype one and I'll get it on the market. or feel free to steal the idea and run with it, I don't even care if I get credit and will never complain about it as long as you send me a couple ;)

17. aziffel

aziffel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    nc
  18. Clinton

Clinton Super Member ECF Veteran

19. Vaporologist

May 26, 2010
    Epic Journey
    Nice tank collection! :thumb:

Whenever you get tired of those SS tubes, just let me know... I may know someone who would help you lighten the load :)

20. Lance_Wallen

Aug 11, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for the link. I'll order a few and add em to the tourny :)

I really wanna try a few others, ust tryin to figure out where I wanna spend the money first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.