The great Clove round up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
The great clove roundup – lots of cove juices reviewed and compared.

Like a lot of vapers who discovered e-cigs in the last couple of years, I came to vaping partially due to
the cigarette flavor ban. I was an avid clove cigarette (kretek) smoker for a decade or more before the ban,
and never really liked the 'little cigars' that came out in response to the ban. Something changed, and not for
the better in my opinion.

Also like a not of new vapers, I really wanted some flavors that were as similar as possible to my old favorite
kreteks. I am sure a fair number of people have found the same difficulties as I have. Searches turned up some
promising leads, and even some recipes if I wanted to mix my own.

Not too keen on mixing my own juice from scratch (I have kids and cats and didn't want straight nic hanging
around, even under lock and key) I decided to try every clove or kretek juice I could find.

A brief history of where I come from in the cigarette world might help place my opinions in context: I smoked
my first clove at 16 (am now 34) but only began in earnest when I went to college. That was during a heck of a
good time for kreteks in the US. I enjoyed many varieties of cloves for a number of years. I started with
Djarum “King Sized” which we all just called “Kings”. After about 2 years, in 1999 they stopped selling those.

During those first two years, I also tried and enjoyed Blacks and Internationals from Djarum
(Internationals were an unfiltered hand rolled kretek that came in a tin of 10) and the orange pack of
Djarum kreteks (which were a less sweet version of Internationals) and Djarum Specials. Concurrently, I also
rather enjoyed Sampoerna Extra and Sampoerna International. At some point during that timeframe, Djarum must
have won a legal battle with Sampoerna, because Sampy stopped making “Internationals” and offered Sampoerna
“Classics” which were packaged very similarly and were visually identical, but subtly different in smoking from
the previous “Internationals”. I tried and did NOT enjoy a brand called Jakarta (named after the Indonesian
capital) and was so-so on Gudang Guram. Over that time frame, I developed preferences for different varieties
for different occasions and purposes. Blacks were my every day smoke. Sampy Extras were great for an after
diner treat. Djarum Kings went well with Cherry Coke for long drives (thanks to my wife for pointing that out
to me) and Djarum Specials were excellent first thing in the morning. Sampy Internationals (and later, to a
sligtly lesser extent classics) were wonderful for cleansing the palatte between other smokes. Djarum
Internationals were best shared among friends, but were also excellent when drinking (they hit like a cruise
missle, and so they cut through well for when your senses were dulled) even if one was alone as a clove smoker
in that circumstance. Gudang Garam were nice if you wanted a hefty dosing of nicotine without the harshness
that came from the unfiltered internationals. Then, later cam Djarum Vanilla and Djarum Cherry. Kings
disappeared, as did Internationals. Vanillas usurped Blacks as my go-to every day smoke, they were smooth and
delicious, but still had a full, saturated feeling in smoking. I was never very fond of Cherries, but they
made a nice occasional treat.

For all of that, When the ban came, I was broken. I spent a lot of money pre-buying smokes before they
disappeared. Once, my brother in law imported a carton directly from Indonesia, and a small mom and pop grocer
nearby had a large supply. Eventually, however, it all ran dry, and I settled in on “settling” for the cigars.

I first found out about e-cigs when my sister in law mentioned that they had clove flavors that reportedly were
just like the old Djarums. I was disappointed in my first few forays into this realm. Searches here and
elsewhere turned up little hope that I would really find what I was after.

Then it hit me that I could actually help more than just myself if I were to try as many as I could! I could
actually write a review! This long winded wall of text is the result of my efforts. I hope anyone who bothers
to reads this far finds it helpful!

To test the flavors, I used the equipment I had on hand. Each flavor was steeped for a week in a cool, dark
place before use. Bottles were left open, drip caps removed, and shaken twice daily. All of the flavors were
ordered at 18 mg/ml nicotine. Each was loaded into a vivi nova that had been thoroughly cleaned and had a fresh
coil and wick assembly, to avoid cross contamination. Between flavors, I vaped a fruit or sweet non tobacco
flavor to cleanse my own palatte. I tested each after a minute of allowing the wick to soak, then put it down
and tested it again after at least an hour (often overnight). Before drawing any definite conclusions, I
finished the tank of each flavor. Below are my conclusions, in no particular order.

Dekang “Black Clove”
Don't bother! This isn't anything like a kretek or even just clove. It's more like someone decided
that if they slathered enough barbeque sauce on a moldy tobacco leaf, they could call it “clove” if they
roasted it long enough first. Yuk!

MyFreedomSmokes “DJ Clove Black”
Not as bad as Dekang. Tobacco with a bit of clove. Not a great tobacco, but not bad. Djarum light
crossed with jakartas. Not a particularly good flavor, all things considered. Decent flavor penetration and
flavor density. Good throat hit. Just wish it tasted better. I never did like Jakartas.

MyFreedomSmokes “Djarum Vanilla”
Damn close! I was ecstatic when I first tried this one. Sooooo reminiscent of the real deal. There's
a little “something missing”. That something is the tongue numbness that comes from the eugenol. Either this
flavor could benefit from actually using some eugenol, or there's just not enough there. The taste is right,
the flavor density is good, and the TH is satisfying. It's just missing that “bit”

MyFreedomSmokes “Djarum Cherry”
Similar to the vanilla, this one has the right flavor profile, but no numbing effect. I was never
very partial to this flavor, but they have a pretty accurate representation of it.

Vermont Vapor “clove”
This one is promising, but not quite “there”. The flavor is pretty good, but the density and
penetration of flavor is pretty light. Interestingly, this is the only one that had a “burning” taste.
Not like a burning wick – I think there's something in the flavor profile to suggest combustion (more like
smoking a kretek in that regard). The tobacco vs flavoring blend is a little out of balance, with more tobacco
than I really like in my kretek flavors (more akin to a Nat Sherman “Touch of clove” than a full blown kretek).

Ares E-cig, "Black clove"
YUM! Not quite right, but DAMN close. Simpler in profile than the old cigs, but sweet and spicy, –
with the eugenol numbnes, as well as good flavor. This one has good flavor density, a little one dimensional
though. Solid TH. One of the best. Certainly best in class for tingle / numbing effect by a fair margin.

Velvet Vapors, "Indonesian Clove"
TASTY! Sweeter than others - more king like. somewhat muted flavor, but the flavor is very good.
Less tongue numb, and less power overall, but yummy. I would have to say that this one has the yummiest
flavor overall, but with less flavor density than some of the others. I would really love it if it weren't
so muted.

Johnson Creek “Marcado”
Too much toasted nut flavor. Aside from that, it's good. It's a complex, tasty clove and cinnamon
tobacco not unlike a djarum, but it has a hazelnut kind of presence that it very much dominant, and needs to not be. After sitting in the nova overnight, this mellows out a bit, and balances into the flavor profile, helping improve accuracy and yum factor. Thin juice wicks well, but might flood some devices. Solid TH, but less saturated in the throat. Good flavor density, but alas, missing that tingly / numbing sensation.

Tasty Vapor “Kretek”
Honey, maple, and more Honey. With some cinnamon and clove mulled in, like a weakly mulled mead.
Not accurate, but tasty on its own merit. After sitting in the nova overnight, the mapley-ness blooms into
a black licorice/anise kind of thing. This helps balance out the sweetness, making this rather good.
Accuracy suffers if you're looking for a kretek flavored juice, but this is quite yummy in its own right.

Aroma E Juice “DJ Black Clove”
Might as well have bought this from myfreedomsmokes. Same Jakarta esque flavor. Not my favorite, by
a long shot.

Revolver “Red Dragon Clove”
While this one does feature a hint of the same jakarta ish flavor I hate in the aroma and myfreedom
juices, it's not so overpowering. Much more balanced, with tangy and spicy flavors that those two lack.
A solid 6 on the 1-10 scale. Spicier than most, with a stronger and more saturated TH.

Revolver “Colve Black”
Nothing at all like the Dekang juice by the same name. This one is a clove and tobacco blend.
Sweeter than most, it's somewhat reminiscent of a Sampoerna Extra, but lacks complexity. Mixed with their
Red Dragon, the Revolver juices make for a very realistic flavor profile.

ECBlend “Kretek Blend”
Given ECBland's vast flexibility of options, I tried several iterations of this. I tried it just as
it comes, with extra flavor, double extra flavor, and all three with “add extra clove” option. The difference
from one iteration to the next is not as great as I though it would be. With the “add extra clove” option,
there's enough eugenol to have a satisfying (but not best in its class) tongue numbing impact. The flavor
profile is a little on the simple side, a decent and smooth tobacco paired with an accurate amount of clove.
Could be better, but not bad. Solid TH, but flavor density (even with double extra flavor and add clove)
suffers. Could use extra time to steep (of course, they tell you that up front).

ECBlend “Writers Den”
Not a kretek flavor per se, this is a complex blend of bourbon, clove, and tobacco. I find that mixed
50/50 with their “Kretek Blend” I get the complexity I was after in an all day every day vape with a realistic
reproduction of the general “Kretek” experience somewhere between an old Sampoerna International and Djarum
Black. It doesn't hit as hard as I would like, nor is there quite the eugenol tingle I would wish for, but
it's hard to beat this mix in any single juice, and impossible to get better for this price.

If I were to mix any of the above juices in an attempt to creat a “Dream Clove” juice that was exactly
what I was after, I would start with a mix something like this:

20% ecblend Writers Den
20% vermont vapor clove
30% Ares Black Clove
30% Revolver Red Dragon Clove

This, I think would provide a complex sweet and spicy flavor profile of tobacco, clove, and spices, with a
solid, saturated TH, good numbing effect, and a hint of combustion in the flavor. For my old Vanilla Favorite,
I would probably mix 70% Djarum Vanilla from MyFreedomSmokes with 20% Ares Black Clove and 10% Vermont Vapor
Clove.

Thanks for reading all, and please remember that taste is subjective, and my experiences with these might
differ from your own. I hope, however, that the descriptions above will help any looking for a good Kretek
flavored juice make informed decisions on where to start!

Dustmight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Detroit, MI USA
This is a mighty impressive list! Thanks for sharing your findings.

I've been thinking about this flavor a lot lately. I smoked Djarum "Black" and the "Brown" for many years and had been yearning for a similar flavor in a vape as well. I've only had one Clove juice so far and that's MBV "Black Clove". A friend offered me a bottle and I tossed it in the back of my cabinet, not having much hope for it. Fast forward about 6 weeks and I needed something to test a new RBA, so I grabbed the 30ml bottle. By itself it's sweeter than I would prefer, but the clove flavor and tongue sensation were there. I mixed 10ml of this with 10ml of Ahlusion's Devil Dog, and to my utter surprise, a near facsimile of Djarum Black! Not exact by any stretch, but close enough to be thoroughly enjoyable.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
So glad you posted this! I love Black Cloves...I never smoked Cloves except for every now and then. But I just love the flavor. I tried MountBakerVapors Black Clove and it was AWESOME, so I ordered a big bottle of it. Now it doesn't taste very good...even after a month of steeping. I'm glad you have provided us with a list to try some different vendors!

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I'll add my take on one I have right now...

Want2Vape "Smokey Clove"
Not like a Kretek at all, nor is it trying to be. This is a very sweet honey and clove blend with a touch of smokiness at the end, but the smokiness is faint and quickly dissipates as the vapor leaves your mouth. The tobacco is very light on this one as well. It reminds me a lot of candied ginger. Although it is not a Clove cigarette clone by any means, it still makes for a satisfying and unique vape. Certainly worth a try.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
I was never a fan of clove analogs.....but....

I acquired a bottle of what is supposed to be Mad Murdocks Mellow Melange. I say supposed to be, because the bottle has no label on it. But from reading the description online, I think it is legit.

It is a complex blend with the 2 strongest flavors being clove and orange.

I hear it is hard to get.

Maybe this would appeal to you

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
MBV "Black Clove"
Jester Juice "Kretek"

I'll try those two next when I place my monthly juice order on the 15th of Dec. and add them to the list!

Space - that does sound like a tasty vape, but I'm trying to keep this roundup to those flavors that are specifically trying to ape the kreteks I loved so much when they were available. Thanks for letting us know, (and I might even get some) but I probably won't include it in the format I have above for obvious reasons).

aggo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I always loved Clove cigarettes, though I never smoked them much (heard many years ago that they put holes in your lungs, but I don't know if that's true). I've tried a few e-juice varieties but they were either mediocre or horrible.

Thanks to the OP for the thread. I hope other clove lovers can give their recommendations as well.

Last edited:

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hey Pocha - what's that local company called? I'd like another contestant to put on the list for Decembers order.

I know this is an old thread, but the company is called Luxe. I too was a clove smoker (1 pack/12 "cigars") per day and this one is the closest I have found. Haven't tried MyFreedomSmokes yet, but just might. After a while I gave up on finding a clove flavor that would do it for me, but the midnight clove is by far the best I've tried thus far. I was REALLY craving a clove today and went to a local vape shop and bought a bottle of it. Not disappointed at all

twolostminds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2009
Wow...I've been searching for information on Djarum's for a while and this has to be the most helpful thread I've found. I am trying to find a good Djarum Specials blend to get my wifey away from them once and for all. Love the taste of them on her lips but hate the smokey smell in her hair. Didn't mind too much 5 months ago when I was a smoker lol

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I still haven't found the perfect clove juice...the one that tastes like a Djarum. But I did find something else...

Fuzion Vapor sells a juice called "Black Jack". It tastes just like the Black Jack bubble gum from the old days. It's WONDERFUL. Not a Djarum by any means, but still a fine clove juice.

Oh, I've also tried AlienVisons (AVE) Clove juice. I love AVE, but this juice was horrendous.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Great thread on a great topic! I'm trying to find out the name of a clove cig. that I used to enjoy very much. It was non-filtered, definitely hand-rolled, in a smaller pack, and perhaps the name was Jakarta?? This was back in the mid-80's and I used to get them at a tobacco shop (wow, things have changed!). I have no interest in returning to them, just curious.

I had a different experience with Aroma's Djarum Black Clove. (Taste is so individual). I found that their WTA (whole tobacco Alkoloids) was so helpful with my cravings that I started tasting their flavored liquids infused with WTA. I tried their DBC w/ WTA in a dripper and I found "home!" In no means am I negating your experience, just sharing my perspective. ( I never sported a signature banner before finding that juice).

Thank you for the great thread!

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Your taste seems to match my own, Robinowitz. I'm going to get back with them and see if the have the same flavor in non WTA, as any positive effect from that is distinctly subtle.

Yep, taste is so individual Nermal. And yes again, Aroma has all of their flavors available with and without WTA. I just always go with the WTA infused.
Enjoy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread