The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Volunteer to help with beta testing!

We’re working on getting the site updates ready, but we’ll need your help to check the changes, make sure everything makes sense to you, and report any issues you see. If you'd like to volunteer to help with beta testing, click the link below. The first 20 people to respond to this thread will be added to the team!

View thread
    Dismiss Notice

The great dog bowl incident of 2012

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by ChaosTheory, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2012
    Baltimore
    One of my ecig batteries was layin on the amish fireplace out in the living room which is there year round. I was talkin' to my girl and she knocked my ecig off the fireplace. Now the open space on the floor is about 99.6% hardwood and about .4% the dog's water bowl. So, you can guess, considering mathematical probability, where the battery landed. ....

So I retrieved the ecig battery from the dog bowl and dried it off... I held it in my hand and pressed the button and it still worked seemingly fine...

The question is, will there be any malfunctions later? I looked for my V4L handbook, but I couldn't find anything about the battery being submerged in water. .. but considering they are lithium ion batteries like cellphones I'd reason that it wouldn't be good anymore but it looks fine.

I know I could just "play it safe and get a new one", which is good advice, but I am curious if anybody has any actual real knowledge about it. Should it still be good to use?

Thanks,

2. Dana A

Dana A Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    I dropped one into a glass of pop and it still works months later so maybe you will be OK.

3. suziewright

suziewright Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2012
    Texas
    My Ego T went through the washing machine. Let it dry for a week or so then charged it (under a watchful eye). It works but I have to unscrew the carto to get it to shut off. Can't bring myself to throw it away. I keep hoping the button will someday miraculously cure itself!

4. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The battery cell itself isn't the problem. Think for a minute about what corrosion can do to the protection chip.
    Water causes oxidation (rust). Undeneath that plastic wrapper, it's pretty hard to prevent should any water get under there.

5. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    put it in a bag of dry rice for a few days,,i have went swimming with mine before

6. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    Dry rice is a good absorbent. If you have a few of those "Do Not Eat" silica packets that you find in everything from shoes to jerky, a few of those will work in a baggie with the battery, also. Another idea is to put a towel in the dryer to get it hot. Remove the towel and wrap the battery in it until the towel is cool. Repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.